Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

IF it actually gets past the scottish executive and is finished before the 2022 Scottish elections the emphasis should be on the city to make a success of it.

Maybe being able to watch the game without having to sit in a wind tunnel getting rained on, or having to stand on tip toes to see the corner flat over a fence, or to crouch down / stand on your seat to see the goal line at the beach end, or having to peer around several pillars or stand up every 5mins for someone needing to get past, being able to get to the toilets without fighting through the pie stall queues etc, will make going to AFC games that little bit more attractive.

Can't get on the first batch of shuttle buses you say? why not head to the stadium bar, or (and I think the club would be stupid not to do this) have a coffee in the stadium concourses while the queues clear?  or just bugger off 15mins before the end like folk already do except this time a large chunk are onto the bypass rather than eve  :wave:ryone heading to a gridlocked King street & shiprow.

Or perhaps think of it like this

At least its not another shopping mall, or glass office block :wave:

It is another shopping mall or glass office block. It's inspired by that type of development at least. Not integrated and without thought to the surrounding area. There should be no emphasis on the city to do anything, it's a stand alone venture by a stand alone private company. That is entirely clear in this project, and should be abundantly clear in its treatment. That's not to say that anyone should be spiteful, unhelpful or deliberately put up barriers, but the onus is entirely on the club to make a success of it - no one else.

I agree with your suggestions about the bar and/or coffee arrangements, but the problem with these out of town Ikea-type developments (or even AECC with bugger all round it) is that they lure you in with an event then take the piss with absolutely atrocious food offerings and shite beer served by massive companies that have zero interest in AFC. Everything in the club's current food offering at Pittodrie suggest that perhaps that won't change. I think we'll see, as we get closer to the development/building stage, that we'll sign some long term contracts with the likes of Sodexo that will help finance the project whilst selling us out in some binding agreement to provide shite food. Hopefully not, it's a huge opportunity to make it good. To be honest, I probably have different ideas as to what constitutes good food from the majority of folks anyway.

Milne's "I'm very happy" position on North Tonight last night was sickening to see.

Irrespective of whether or not this is a good decision and a good plan, it was sickening to see.

The original plan was to redevelop Pittodrie. Stage 1 of that was the RDS. The rest is history.

And it's been a pretty pathetic miserable history since he came on board over 20 years ago.

I just hope the bad karma that his greedy little grasping persona brings doesn't sink the ship.

Well said and pretty much my thoughts too.

Admittedly the transport options will be a concern but fuck me it’s right next to the AWPR. Not standalone nor not integrated. What a load of bollocks.

I meant it's a stand alone project (i.e. it's not part of any city development plan or any other projects for the area). It's not even remotely integrated with the city of Aberdeen. The AWPR is a bypass. The clue is in the name.

Just wondering what the new stadium will actually be called. At the moment it is Kingsford Stadium, as that is what is on the planning make ups. I quite like Aurora! It means 'new dawn' which is appropriate and it plays on the Dons nickname! I really like how our stadium is one of the most quirky names in Scotland, in that it is not named after a team or town or area. Aurora would keep that tradition. Definitely not up for 'Aberdeen Arena' or any exhibition centre type name like that! No doubt it will end up being named after a sponsor to raise funds to pay for construction!  ::)

I meant it's a stand alone project (i.e. it's not part of any city development plan or any other projects for the area). It's not even remotely integrated with the city of Aberdeen. The AWPR is a bypass. The clue is in the name.

Everyone drives from the shire or the outskirts of the city. Anyone else can fuck off!

Not responding in any way to any of 'his/her' posts nor have I read them. Not interested in anything he/she says.

On the Fradi stadium.

Unfortunately, the Ferencvaros Stadium has been very bad for the hardcore fans who followed the club.  The new stadium has membership scheme which involves finger printing (i.e. before you get club card they scan your thumb) and many of the hardcore fans have boycotted the stadium.

Budapest derbies are slowly dying in terms of atmosphere - apart from at Honved which is still a little old school.

For a long while Ferencvaros ultras groups (and there are hundreds of members) were following Ferencvaros II B team instead of first team but the club have clamped down on that.

The Ferencvaros stadium was the Ülloi út then the Flórián Albert Stadium.  The new stadium which is Groupama?? is on the same site (i.e. they didn't move 8 miles outside Budapest) and the pitch, as far as I know, was just re-orientated closer to metro/tube stops.

So, to put it mildly, the new Fradi stadium does a lot for family fans, is great for advertising, corporate hosting and UEFA like it.  However, the stadium has killed atmospheres due to harsh regulations used to exclude fan groups and apart from when it's used for the games of the national team its not been a good move for the hardcore.

Yes, the hardcore politics of Fradi hardcore fan groups could change and new relationships are built and derby matches become like old but essentially the disappearance of old school stadia in Budapest (MTK have also developed its ground) has crushed a lot of the past atmosphere.

Note also - most Hungarian clubs build and redeveloped the ORIGINAL grounds - I.E. did not move away 8 miles.  One club Puskás Akadémia built a futuristic training academy/come stadium in middle nowhere (and that is tainted by political corruption) but most clubs have redeveloped old stadia and the jury is out (amongst fans) as to whether the news structures do anything for anyone apart from money men who run clubs.

ID registration schemes and ticket schemes in Budapest continue to create various problems as regards boycotts for all supporters in Hungary. It changes from game to game, season to season and the national team games can be good at Fradi stadium.  However, the new stadium is not fan friendly. That is about it.

Ah, the good old days  :laughing:

Just wondering what the new stadium will actually be called. At the moment it is Kingsford Stadium, as that is what is on the planning make ups. I quite like Aurora! It means 'new dawn' which is appropriate and it plays on the Dons nickname! I really like how our stadium is one of the most quirky names in Scotland, in that it is not named after a team or town or area. Aurora would keep that tradition. Definitely not up for 'Aberdeen Arena' or any exhibition centre type name like that! No doubt it will end up being named after a sponsor to raise funds to pay for construction!  ::)

I'm going to build a house next door just so that the stadium's official address is "No.2, Kingsford Stadium"

As long as it doesn't become known as Milne's Morgue, they can call it whatever they like.

The selling of stadium naming rights is a modern phenomenon and is one of the most absurd.

Whenever a corporation pays for this, they will never get it back. I don't care what their brand strategy or global marketing strategy might be, it's an act of a rampant ego and chances are, of a raving sociopath slash psychopath too.

I'm not making this shit up. There have been recent exhaustive studies to profile CEO's and other business barons. The chances of them being sociopaths are incredibly high, which given the demands of their jobs and particularly the routes they required to get there, isn't really surprising.

• 1 month later...

Not being called in by the Scottish Government.

Bad news for the No mob I guess.

No Kingsford Stadium acknowledge the Scottish Governments decision to not call in the AFC Kingsford Application.  This now leaves the way clear for the decision to be examined through the courts.

We believe that the decision by Aberdeen City Council is unlawful and we will seek to prove that the council has failed to legally process and consider this application.

NKS have now raised over £40,000 towards this action and is now seeking to reach our funding target of £60,000.  We would encourage all those who wish to protect the Green Belt and environment to support our campaign and donate using the details on our website.

These folk are living in cloud cuckoo land.

If they use their life savings to fight this they will regret the outcome which will not be overturned by any court in the land.

Lets get this new stadium built  :thumbsup: