Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

Well well!

Lets see if the plans kick off from now or if we're stuck in legal challenges.

Pretty much my thoughts.

No doubt an appeal will be lodged.

Hope every one of those against find themselves chucked off the gravy train come the next council elections

Pretty much my thoughts.

No doubt an appeal will be lodged.

Hope every one of those against find themselves chucked off the gravy train come the next council elections

Yes. We wouldn't people voting against a majority. That would be a disaster for democracy. I think everyone should vote the same way regardless of their own opinion.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">[Kingsford approved.]<br><br>"I'd like you to explain why we should build a 20,000 capacity stadium that's seven miles from the city centre and has no transport links."<br><br>Milne: "That's the most intelligent question I've ever been asked...Next question! You there, eating the paste." <a href="https://t.co/2lKvP3KgWt">pic.twitter.com/2lKvP3KgWt</a></p>— Simpsons SPFL (@SimpsonsSPFL) <a href="

29, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">[Kingsford approved.]<br><br>"I'd like you to explain why we should build a 20,000 capacity stadium that's seven miles from the city centre and has no transport links."<br><br>Milne: "That's the most intelligent question I've ever been asked...Next question! You there, eating the paste." <a href="https://t.co/2lKvP3KgWt">pic.twitter.com/2lKvP3KgWt</a></p>— Simpsons SPFL (@SimpsonsSPFL) <a href="

29, 2018</a></block quote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You just need to paste the URL to the tweet min, the forum will do the rest.

As a well know miserable bastard (even more reason to be so at the moment) I for some reason am looking at the potential positive aspects of this development

The current transport plan looks a bit ropey especially given the love in Aberdeen has with its cars and unsubtle approach to negative public transport conditions however at the moment it is  just 'a plan'.

I am under no illusions that it will have teething problems possibly even be a complete disaster in the beginning but at the same time it is in the clubs and both council's interest to make this work and after a couple of seasons a system will be in place and/or improvements will have been made or planned until things run smoothly and it reaches the point where people occasionally say 'remember how bad this was when it started' and kids look at them in bewilderment.

They will have test runs (reserve games, friendlies etc) well before it formerly opens to see what they are up against. It isn't going to be a case of 'new season, sold out first game against yon tic, lets just wing it!'

With this new stadium comes hungry developers and/or hungry delboys seeing an opportunity to coin it in. Possibility of up to 20000 people on your doorstep every second week (or on rare occasions 3 times in the same week) from July - May each year. Restaurants, pubs, shops etc could (and probably will) start to appear and with them comes improved road infrastructure (planners will insist).

Downside of this is what the people of Kingswells & WestHill fear IE their 'semi rural' homes will be swallowed up by the buzzing metropolis of Europe's oil capital.

Infact this stadium actually falls right in with a proposed development & transport strategy that was presented to my Uni class (think it was by ACC) back in 2003 or 4 which I believe was based on a plan from before the Beeching cuts took hold in the late 60s. Aberdeen as a city would take on the appearance of a stretched human hand reaching in from the North sea with each finger being a transport/ circulation 'corridor' leading in and out of the city. Theses 'green' corridors (I imagined tree lined motorways while sat in the lecture hall) would be proper highways or perhaps even new railway/ tram lines (yes, we as early 20s students scoffed at this too) and was supposedly a plan to remove the problems of the choked A90 & A96s. Funnily enough though I don't recall this plan ever showing the Bypass.

IF it actually gets past the scottish executive and is finished before the 2022 Scottish elections the emphasis should be on the city to make a success of it.

Maybe being able to watch the game without having to sit in a wind tunnel getting rained on, or having to stand on tip toes to see the corner flat over a fence, or to crouch down / stand on your seat to see the goal line at the beach end, or having to peer around several pillars or stand up every 5mins for someone needing to get past, being able to get to the toilets without fighting through the pie stall queues etc, will make going to AFC games that little bit more attractive.

Can't get on the first batch of shuttle buses you say? why not head to the stadium bar, or (and I think the club would be stupid not to do this) have a coffee in the stadium concourses while the queues clear?  or just bugger off 15mins before the end like folk already do except this time a large chunk are onto the bypass rather than eve  :wave:ryone heading to a gridlocked King street & shiprow.

Or perhaps think of it like this

At least its not another shopping mall, or glass office block :wave:

Milne's "I'm very happy" position on North Tonight last night was sickening to see.

Irrespective of whether or not this is a good decision and a good plan, it was sickening to see.

The original plan was to redevelop Pittodrie. Stage 1 of that was the RDS. The rest is history.

And it's been a pretty pathetic miserable history since he came on board over 20 years ago.

I just hope the bad karma that his greedy little grasping persona brings doesn't sink the ship.