Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57286931

Away goals rule seems destined to be scrapped. 
Personally I think the rule is one of the better things UEFA has ever come up with but anything which gives even the slightest chance their 'favourites' can be knocked out by some upstart diddy club doesnt score well with the shareholders and sponsors etc

:hammer:

32 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Personally I think the rule is one of the better things UEFA has ever come up with but anything which gives even the slightest chance their 'favourites' can be knocked out by some upstart diddy club doesnt score well with the shareholders and sponsors etc

Seriously just wish they would leave the game alone.

42 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Aye, pathetic. 

Although, fuck skonta Riga.

FFS, as others have said, I always thought that this was a great rule. Turning off the game back home more and more these days, what with the state of the game in Scotland and FIFA / UEFA determined to ruin it for everyone but the elite. Sad state of affairs when I can't actually remember the last full game of European Football I watched. Genuinely watch more of the nix these days. Their hate of aussies is enough to see me through ??

Brentford finally win a playoff final and are promoted to the top english division for the first time since 1947.

Ex Dons GK Woodman gave away a penalty for the first goal which was score by Ivan Toney who seemingly the Tic didnt think was worth it instead signing Ajeti from West Ham for 4.5million - 6 goals in 30 games (Griffiths managed 7 goals in 26 games)
Brentford signed Toney from Peterbrough for 5million (rising to 10million with add-ons) - 32 goals in 51 games

Seen Brentford play at Craven Cottage, and Loftus Road but never got to see to see them play at Griffin Park (had a ticket but the game was cancelled due to Covid). I'd like to think one day I'll get to see them play at their new stadium

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Chelsea 1-0 up on Manchester City at half time in Champions league final. Been a decent game so far.

Two loathesome clubs but for whatever reason I was rooting for chelsea. In my head at the moment, Man City's corrupt owners currently seem to be worse than Chelsea's

Good to hear Havertz say 'to be honest I don't give a fuck' when asked some banal question by the BT sport guy

Edited by tom_widdows

On 29/05/2021 at 00:39, manc_don said:

FFS, as others have said, I always thought that this was a great rule. Turning off the game back home more and more these days, what with the state of the game in Scotland and FIFA / UEFA determined to ruin it for everyone but the elite. Sad state of affairs when I can't actually remember the last full game of European Football I watched. Genuinely watch more of the nix these days. Their hate of aussies is enough to see me through ??

The away goals rule is often counter productive.  Jonathan Wilson explains the logic of getting rid of it here https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

The article is 8 years old now but the logic still stands. I'd be happy to see the back of the away goals rule, all it does is make the home team wary of conceding.   I would be willing to wager that average goals per game in euro competition will go up if the away goals rule is scrapped.  If so, surely that's a good thing.

8 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

The away goals rule is often counter productive.  Jonathan Wilson explains the logic of getting rid of it here https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

The article is 8 years old now but the logic still stands. I'd be happy to see the back of the away goals rule, all it does is make the home team wary of conceding.   I would be willing to wager that average goals per game in euro competition will go up if the away goals rule is scrapped.  If so, surely that's a good thing.

It doesn't really address the issues raised in this thread though, nor does it actually offer any useful statistics to help. It focuses on the lack of difference between big club X travelling to big club Y rather than someone playing in Lithuania or Azerbaijan where the differences might still be significant.

6 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

It doesn't really address the issues raised in this thread though, nor does it actually offer any useful statistics to help. It focuses on the lack of difference between big club X travelling to big club Y rather than someone playing in Lithuania or Azerbaijan where the differences might still be significant.

What issues do you mean? All I really see is people saying they like away goals rule (which is fine btw).   

I wouldn't say it does focus on that to be honest, it just references some big games that a lot of people will have watched.  Regardless though the destination or clubs involved isn't really the issue it's that the game has changed.  We are all just used to it being a rule but when you think about it it's a bit of a nonsense one goal being worth more than another. 

Say Aberdeen draw.... I dunno a decent size German side in Europe like a leverkusen or something.  We are away first and get a nil nil draw.  At home we get a one one draw with the away team scoring at the death.  In this case it is the bigger team that is serviced by the agr not the smaller so I don't think anyone can really say its there to give the smaller teams a chance. Also in this case its fucking ridiculous that the game doesn't go to extra time and pens.  

3 hours ago, Jute said:

Would no benefit from scoring the away goal not just lead to away teams just sitting in away from home?

That's just going to depend on the team.  If afc are going to camp nou we would be doing that anyway agr or not.  The advantage of scrapping the agr is the home team isn't worried about potentially conceding 2 goals for every one they actually do so they can focus on their attacking game more.   

Is it fair to remove the away goals rule and yet keep the 'seeding system' in which seeded teams in the first round of knockout stages (last 32) now always host the second legs?

I won't be surprised if that is soon brought in for qualifiers, Last 16, quarter finals etc

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

What issues do you mean? All I really see is people saying they like away goals rule (which is fine btw).   

I wouldn't say it does focus on that to be honest, it just references some big games that a lot of people will have watched.  Regardless though the destination or clubs involved isn't really the issue it's that the game has changed.  We are all just used to it being a rule but when you think about it it's a bit of a nonsense one goal being worth more than another. 

Say Aberdeen draw.... I dunno a decent size German side in Europe like a leverkusen or something.  We are away first and get a nil nil draw.  At home we get a one one draw with the away team scoring at the death.  In this case it is the bigger team that is serviced by the agr not the smaller so I don't think anyone can really say its there to give the smaller teams a chance. Also in this case its fucking ridiculous that the game doesn't go to extra time and pens.  

To be honest, I don't really know, I'm basing my argument on the fact that every decision made by uefa in the last thirty years is designed to widen the gap and maintain the status quo throughout Europe! As I mentioned, the article seems to have made little attempt to work out who benefits. It was fairly inconclusive and not particularly well argued. 

Your example doesn't really address much, we could just as easily give an example that helps AFC. The point of the away goal however would have potentially stopped the dons from playing for a boring 0-0 draw away from home rather than trying to sneak a goal knowing the reward. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, obviously, just that the article and subsequent examples don't really get to the heart of the issue.

I disagree.  I think the heart of the issue is that the away goal rule was brought in to encourage the away team to attack a little more because in the 60's getting around Europe was a far more gruelling process and facilities were much poorer.  Now that isn't the case and it now actively encourages teams to be more defensive at home.  Disproportionately so. 

You're absolutely right, indeed you could flip the exact scenario I gave around.  I.e Aberdeen get the late equaliser in the second leg in Germany.  Its still nuts that the game doesn't go to et and pens and your point about being defensive away is just switched to being defensive at home.  Dunno about you but I would much rather see the dons go for it at home. 

Put it this way if/when it's scrapped I doubt anyone will be pining for it in a few years time.

5 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

To be honest, I don't really know, I'm basing my argument on the fact that every decision made by uefa in the last thirty years is designed to widen the gap and maintain the status quo throughout Europe! As I mentioned, the article seems to have made little attempt to work out who benefits. It was fairly inconclusive and not particularly well argued. 

Your example doesn't really address much, we could just as easily give an example that helps AFC. The point of the away goal however would have potentially stopped the dons from playing for a boring 0-0 draw away from home rather than trying to sneak a goal knowing the reward. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, obviously, just that the article and subsequent examples don't really get to the heart of the issue.

• Like 1

Euro U21s tournament on Sky just now. Spain and Croatia in to extra time after Croatia equalised with a penalty in 94th minute. They eliminated England with injury time goal back in March. Holland also scored in last minute to eliminate France in other quarter final.

16 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Great shout Jute.  This has been a brilliant second half 

Aye been brilliant. Into extra time at 3-3 with Italy coming back from being 2-0 and 3-1 down. Red card there was there 6th of the tournament for Italy. 

Germany v Denmark into extra time as well after finishing 1-1.

• Like 1

That was a great game between two very good teams. Neither team deserved to lose. Even when down to 10 Italy kept going forward. Extra man told in the end with Portugal winning 5-3.

Other quarter final finished 2-2 and has gone to penalties. 

ETA - Should come as no surprise that Germany won the shoot out 8-7.

Semi finals on Thursday are Holland v Germany and Portugal v Spain.