Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

1 hour ago, tom_widdows said:

Was it not the case fans were aware there was a chance they wouldnt be allowed back into the stadiums for the full season and the season ticket sales were seen as a way of helping keeping the teams alive? If so then it isn't fraud.

It's a fair point but fans have missed the whole season.  Clubs took their money and (most) continued to pay their players their full wage for not playing for months last year.  In reality they could all have been furloughed like the rest of the country from mid March until a few weeks before the new season started with the government coughing up for it but the clubs totally bottled it on that one.  

11 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

It's a fair point but fans have missed the whole season.  Clubs took their money and (most) continued to pay their players their full wage for not playing for months last year.  In reality they could all have been furloughed like the rest of the country from mid March until a few weeks before the new season started with the government coughing up for it but the clubs totally bottled it on that one.  

Was it three months they were out of training for, four maybe? It would have had zero effect on the season ticket decision. Those salaries were, in effect, baked in to last season's costs already. We only missed out on four games' worth of gate receipts compared to a normal season, probably the equivalent hit to finishing in the bottom six. I knew there was no guarantee of seeing a match, just as there will be no guarantee this season. I'd rather the club was kept on a stable footing if possible and not in huge debt to Cormack or whoever.

There were about five months between fixtures so take off a month for pre-season and they could have been furloughed for a third of the year.  I get your point Rico about the wages being last season's costs but that is not really the issue.  Clubs knew from about mid April that the covid issue was not just going to pass in a few weeks but they had no foresight.  Why pay full wages for five months then plead poverty in Autumn/Winter and ask fans to keep forking out when they could have wiped a third off of their salary bill just by being a bit more savvy in the first place.  I am not talking in particular about our own club, just generally because they pretty much all did it.

3 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

There were about five months between fixtures so take off a month for pre-season and they could have been furloughed for a third of the year.  I get your point Rico about the wages being last season's costs but that is not really the issue.  Clubs knew from about mid April that the covid issue was not just going to pass in a few weeks but they had no foresight.  Why pay full wages for five months then plead poverty in Autumn/Winter and ask fans to keep forking out when they could have wiped a third off of their salary bill just by being a bit more savvy in the first place.  I am not talking in particular about our own club, just generally because they pretty much all did it.

They had no idea when the season would start, but had to assume early August or earlier depending on Europe (1st August in the end), with players returning start of July. April to June would have been the additional cost, so 3 months would have been the assumption. They did have the foresight too, as they addressed it at the time and said that they'd rather players did "work" for the community trust. It was a political decision really to be seen both to be working in the community and also be seen not to be taking hand outs in what is a well paid entertainment industry. I agree with their decision too, I think it was the right call. I backed that up, as I suspect just about every season ticket holder did, by not taking a reimbursement for the missed games. Had the players been furloughed I might have taken the club up on their offer. The players were fully employed this entire season, I just don't think the furlough would have made the difference financially that would allow them to do anything radical with the season ticket sales. 

That's not to criticise Motherwell's approach of course, which is really good. I haven't checked it out but I'm wondering if fans have the option to buy a ticket regardless? Some might still want to give something this season knowing the club will struggle with signings etc.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

They had no idea when the season would start, but had to assume early August or earlier depending on Europe (1st August in the end), with players returning start of July. April to June would have been the additional cost, so 3 months would have been the assumption. They did have the foresight too, as they addressed it at the time and said that they'd rather players did "work" for the community trust. It was a political decision really to be seen both to be working in the community and also be seen not to be taking hand outs in what is a well paid entertainment industry. I agree with their decision too, I think it was the right call. I backed that up, as I suspect just about every season ticket holder did, by not taking a reimbursement for the missed games. Had the players been furloughed I might have taken the club up on their offer. The players were fully employed this entire season, I just don't think the furlough would have made the difference financially that would allow them to do anything radical with the season ticket sales. 

That's not to criticise Motherwell's approach of course, which is really good. I haven't checked it out but I'm wondering if fans have the option to buy a ticket regardless? Some might still want to give something this season knowing the club will struggle with signings etc.

Seen a few Motherwell fans saying on line that they will buy an additional season ticket this season. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I suspect that is true that there won't be many fans asking for a reimbursement, still don't think it was right for clubs to be taking fans money when they knew games would probably not be open to spectators.  

Glad you are happy that your season ticket money went straight into Curtis Main's bank account for helping the community though ?

8 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I suspect that is true that there won't be many fans asking for a reimbursement, still don't think it was right for clubs to be taking fans money when they knew games would probably not be open to spectators.  

Glad you are happy that your season ticket money went straight into Curtis Main's bank account for helping the community though ?

Been released by Shrewsbury....

Manager: Calum Davidson

Transfer budget: What’s that?

Competitions entered as a manger: 3

Competitions won: 2

v

Manager: Step-hen Gerard

Transfer budget: circa £100 million 

Competitions entered as manager: 12

Competitions won: One. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Kelty diets join the leagues with brechin completing a spectacular series of relegations. 

A player sent off during the game for homophobic abuse. That seems like something that would have happened quite a lot. 

Player who was sent off was on loan from Tribute Act. Probably the Scottish Government’s fault. 

Some fall from Brechin. Championship side 4 years ago. Not sure they will get out of Highland League anytime soon.

Kelty fans are just Huns without the bus fare. Minks even before Barry the crab and his bigots arrived. 

Just realised this means I have no longer been to all Scottish league grounds. Need to try and take in a game there. 

Did not see that coming before first leg. Thought Killie would have too much for Dundee but they were utter shite over both legs. As others have said good to see two of plastic pitches out the league. With most of the current team out of contract at Killie they will at least be able to cut the wage bill but at same time don’t think they are guaranteed an immediate return. 

Just leaves the Dons, Tic & Motherwell as the only teams who have managed to stay in the Premier Division since I took an interest in football.

I'm wondering if Killie might go the same way as Falkirk or Partick Thistle and possibly drop down to the 3rd tier at some point

53 minutes ago, Nellie The Don said:

Yaaaaaas! Fucking Kilmarnock. I've been waiting for them to get relegated since Jim Jefferies was there.

Personally speaking got a bit of mixed feelings on this one.

Aberdeen games at Rugby Park are like a home game for me, only fifteen minutes in the motor door to door.

Added to that, games against them have pretty much guaranteed us points in the last ten years or so.

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Personally speaking got a bit of mixed feelings on this one.

Aberdeen games at Rugby Park are like a home game for me, only fifteen minutes in the motor door to door.

Added to that, games against them have pretty much guaranteed us points in the last ten years or so.

Positive is they are replaced by Dundee who are usually guaranteed points as well.