Tonights tipple

mizer

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My main gripe with the Crabbie's was it's either too expensive or not strong enough. Lot of money for something that's going to take you a fair few of to get pissed, and no matter what argument anyone comes up with about sensible drinking, getting pissed is the only reason your going to drinking something that tastes just like non-alcoholic ginger beer.

Isn't it Export or Foreign Extra or something thats 7.5%, I remember buying a couple bottles when I was over in Ireland a few years ago. Something to do with it continuing to ferment while it was on boats to Africa etc years ago and so it got stronger the further it travelled. Tastes more "stouty" (stronger coffee and fag butts taste, as the wife describes it).

Not seen it over here, I don't think, but thats maybe because I've never looked for it. That's maybe why MBT described it as imported?

Isn't it Export or Foreign Extra or something thats 7.5%, I remember buying a couple bottles when I was over in Ireland a few years ago. Something to do with it continuing to ferment while it was on boats to Africa etc years ago and so it got stronger the further it travelled. Tastes more "stouty" (stronger coffee and fag butts taste, as the wife describes it).

Not seen it over here, I don't think, but thats maybe because I've never looked for it. That's maybe why MBT described it as imported?

Ever reliable Wikipedia says:

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout: 7.5% ABV version sold in Europe, Africa, the Caribbean and Asia. The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally. The strength can vary, for example, it is sold at 5% ABV in China, 6.5% ABV in Jamaica and East Africa, and 8% ABV in Singapore.[30][31] In Nigeria a proportion of sorghum is used. Foreign Extra Stout is blended with a small amount of intentionally soured beer.

If I remember right, I went on the tour of the factory, symbols like the Toucan were used to signify where a beer was from (i.e. going to) and also gave an indication as to how strong it was, back in the 1800's.

Although it was 5 years or more ago and the missus stood sighing with her arms crossed the whole way round, so I may be making this up based on something I half read.