Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8014198.stm

Severin ponders 'boring' SPL exit

Scott Severin

Severin is mulling over a possible move to a club in England

Aberdeen captain Scott Severin is considering a new challenge in England after revealing he feels the Scottish Premier League can be "boring".

The 30-year-old midfielder is in talks with the Dons over a contract extension, but he says other clubs are interested in his services.

"After 10 years in the SPL there are times you feel it's a bit boring and you fancy a new challenge," he said.

"But there are other times you realise it's a great league and I enjoy it."

Severin has spent the last five seasons at Pittodrie since joining from SPL rivals Hearts on a free transfer.

In that time he has played more than 180 games, scoring 12 goals, and was made the club captain after Russell Anderson moved to Sunderland in 2007.

English Championship outfit Burnley have been linked with the midfielder.

Although Severin is discussing his future with Aberdeen he admits to casting an envious eye at some of his former Dons team-mates now plying their trade in England.

"Barry Nicholson decided to go and has really enjoyed it. Russell is another player who made the move and doesn't regret it," Severin said.

"A few clubs have been on the phone to my agent but he has told them we are still in discussion with Aberdeen and they will be the first club to know my decision.

"I realise a tough decision will have to be made and I will not rush into it.

"I have a young family to think about and my wee boy starts school next year.

"I am 30 now and this will be the biggest decision of my career so I will take as long as is necessary."

Servein's team-mate Lee Mair is another player who has been linked with a summer move away from Pittodrie to St Mirren.

At the end of the last league campaign several players left the club after failing to agree new contracts.

Nicholson and Michael Hart moved to Preston North End, while Chris Clark moved to Plymouth Argyle.

He's off! And good luck to him.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been here before, players bullshitting about 'maybe' staying, when all they're really doing is trying to keep the fans off their backs.

He's offski.  I've been a big seve fan since he signed and I think it's unlikely we'll be able to replace him with a player of equal quality, but the truth is he's not the player we had 3 seasons ago and if his heart's not in it he might as well move on.

Cheers for the good times Scott.

We've been here before, players bullshitting about 'maybe' staying, when all they're really doing is trying to keep the fans off their backs.

He's offski.  I've been a big seve fan since he signed and I think it's unlikely we'll be able to replace him with a player of equal quality, but the truth is he's not the player we had 3 seasons ago and if his heart's not in it he might as well move on.

Cheers for the good times Scott.

Couldn't have put it better myself 

A quote shamelessly taken from Mad, posted by InversneckieDob. Totally empathise with the sentiment:

You ken how they have "Bring your Mum/Dad/Son/Daughter to work" days?

I'm going to lobby for our work to have a "Bring the Captain o' Yer fitba team to work" day so I can drag oor skipper here.

At the end of the day I'll say gently "Now you f u c k i n g wet @rse, THAT is f u c k i n g boredom."

Then I'll show him my bank statement.

"See that derisory figure here? The amount roughly equivalent to Yer dry cleaning bill? That's how much I'm recompensed for suffering this Dante-esque experience on a daily basis. Now I'm going to explain to you how much of that paltry figure I annually squander on a season ticket and a 250 mile round trip for each home game, to watch you "Captain" (sic) my fitba team. Then I’m going to tell you to get Yer f u c k i n g Wendy-@rse back to Pittodrie and either start acting like a f u c k i n g Captain, or f u c k the f u c k off.

I’ll show you f u c k i n g bored.â€

Bored.

The @sswipe gets to play f u c k i n g fitba for the best club in the f u c k i n g world for his f u c k i n g JOB???????

Gie me strength.

In my opinion Severin has been almost a passenger for two seasons. He has lost his pace to a dramatic degree and does not have the ability to spray 40 yard passes to make up for this deficincey.

He is, at best, a very average centre half with no height. I would prefer we got rid and maybe tried to blood a youngster in this position. I realise that this would leave us short of experiance but feel this is a sacrifice worth making to save what would be a large amount off the wage bill. This could then be used to bring in a player with experiance and ability rather than just experiance.

In my opinion Severin has been almost a passenger for two seasons. He has lost his pace to a dramatic degree and does not have the ability to spray 40 yard passes to make up for this deficincey.

He is, at best, a very average centre half with no height. I would prefer we got rid and maybe tried to blood a youngster in this position. I realise that this would leave us short of experiance but feel this is a sacrifice worth making to save what would be a large amount off the wage bill. This could then be used to bring in a player with experiance and ability rather than just experiance.

Spot on. Unfortunately, the chances of us pulling off a signing as valuable as Severin was 5 years ago to replace him are virtually nil. Chances are someone like Considine will become a regular starter at centre-half next season.

Totally. As I've said earlier, thanks, but goodbye. Not a good captain and his best years are past him as is his passion!  :(

I presume the idea of putting a young player in instead of Seve means you would be prepared to accept the inconsistences of performance that go with "blooding" youngsters?

Personally, I'm hoping and praying that der kaiser steps up to the plate and Zander and himself establish a partnership. I just worry this won't happen. And seve seems to have developed this partnership with Zander.

Personally, I'm hoping and praying that der kaiser steps up to the plate and Zander and himself establish a partnership. I just worry this won't happen. And seve seems to have developed this partnership with Zander.

I think the only thing that would worry me about seve leaving is that it would leave us with only 3 senior players that can play centre half.  Mair diamond and considine.  Mair is not mr consistent nor likely to be available for 1/4 to 1/2 a season going by his injury record at both pittodrie and tannadice.  Not that its in any way likely but this would be a cracking time to get anderson back

I think the only thing that would worry me about seve leaving is that it would leave us with only 3 senior players that can play centre half.  Mair diamond and considine.  Mair is not mr consistent nor likely to be available for 1/4 to 1/2 a season going by his injury record at both pittodrie and tannadice.  Not that its in any way likely but this would be a cracking time to get anderson back

See, I've spoken to a number of fans who would love this. Personally, I wouldn't want him back as a player. He would be injured most of the time. I mean look at what's happened to him since he left us. Would love him back as a coach and i'm sure he will come back sometime as a coach. Then of course, if Mair leaves, that only leaves us with Consi and Diamond. Not really enough is it. The experience is the only thing that worries me, because I don't particularly agree with Seve as a player anymore. It is a bit of a concern.

I presume the idea of putting a young player in instead of Seve means you would be prepared to accept the inconsistences of performance that go with "blooding" youngsters?

Yes I would. As I have said I believe seve to be, at best, an average centre half so do not think he is a long term option in that position anyway. Although blooding a youngster would bring about the inevitable mistakes I would be willing to accept these for what would hopefully be a long term gain of a good youngster coming through and either staying with us or being sold for some money.

A few bad fuck ups later we would have literally a few revolting fans protesting in the street waving stuff! We would love to be able to do that Gerd but it really isn't very likely, not if we have any sort of aspirations.

Revolting as in an uprising or revolting as in disgusting?

I see what you are saying but as I say I don't rate Seve in that position anyway so do not see the problem. If we never give any of our youngsters a chance due to the fear of them having the odd bad mistake what is the point in a youth system? To give peterhead players?

Revolting as in an uprising or revolting as in disgusting?

I see what you are saying but as I say I don't rate Seve in that position anyway so do not see the problem. If we never give any of our youngsters a chance due to the fear of them having the odd bad mistake what is the point in a youth system? To give peterhead players?

I think he meant both.

There is still too much at stake to risk playing younger players at this point in time.