Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think he'd be a big loss. Think he is the oldest member of the squad so he brings vital experience to the squad. He is also seeming to be getting the hang of the captaincy now as he seems more vocal, encouraging the squad etc, on the pitch than last season.

But at the same time I think we have cover in the positions that he plays (Considine, Mair at CB and McDonald and Kerr seem to be effective in the centre of the park now).

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose

I personally think he'd be a big loss. Think he is the oldest member of the squad so he brings vital experience to the squad. He is also seeming to be getting the hang of the captaincy now as he seems more vocal, encouraging the squad etc, on the pitch than last season.

But at the same time I think we have cover in the positions that he plays (Considine, Mair at CB and McDonald and Kerr seem to be effective in the centre of the park now).

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose

I was thinking the same re the cover for the positions he plays but then I thought of us lining up without him and there's just something not right about it and it's probably the lack of experience as you say. With no Anderson or Hart or Nicholson, I think it would be better for us if we held on to him. I do get a feeling though if he gets any sort of half decent offer from down south he'll be offski.

Is he offski? ;)

Seriously though, would be a big loss considering his experience. Not been his biggest fan for the past two seasons, but as BB said, the though of a lineup without him seems a bit scary. We'd be really lightweight.

Yeah i would agree, i'd also add that he has looked pretty solid playing centre half lately, obviously i cant comment on his performance at hamilton, but the run of games before that he looked impressive.  Certainly has been a big part in the settled defence we've had lately.

I didn't hear the interview but anyone looking to negotiate his contract is going to make statements that ensure his employers are not assuming its a done deal. I wouldn't get too downhearted, there are multi-layers in these negotiations that cannot all be unravelled in one media interview.

I didn't hear the interview but anyone looking to negotiate his contract is going to make statements that ensure his employers are not assuming its a done deal. I wouldn't get too downhearted, there are multi-layers in these negotiations that cannot all be unravelled in one media interview.

Unless of course he says "i'm leaving." Which he hasn't. Spot on again Ajja.

In my opinion, it wont be the end of the world if he leaves.

Along with Lee Miller he must be the highest paid player in the squad.  If we can use his wages to sign a quality, proven, dominant center half then I don't believe we'll miss him.

The biggest problem would be who will succeed him as captain?  His replacement ideally... I don't believe we have anyone worthy.  Giving the captaincy to Diamond might be gamble... the responsibility may be too much for him.  Lee Miller is by far our most technically gifted player, perhaps he can lead by example?  However, he doesn't really strike me as a leader of men.

In my opinion, it wont be the end of the world if he leaves.

Along with Lee Miller he must be the highest paid player in the squad.  If we can use his wages to sign a quality, proven, dominant center half then I don't believe we'll miss him.

The biggest problem would be who will succeed him as captain?  His replacement ideally... I don't believe we have anyone worthy.  Giving the captaincy to Diamond might be gamble... the responsibility may be too much for him.  Lee Miller is by far our most technically gifted player, perhaps he can lead by example?  However, he doesn't really strike me as a leader of men.

If we were in the position of picking a replacement captain i think we could do a lot worse than Langfield, he's become alot more vocal over the last year or so and the extra responsibility could spur him on and help his concentration levels, make him cut out the stupid mistakes.  Saying that theres no stand out leader in the current squad in my eyes.

Being honest, he's ummed and ahhed about previous renewals too. When he's on-form, he's nothing short of spectacular. But we'd have to consider that he's probably passed his best now and would seriously consider a big-money move down south as being his last opportunity to further his professional football career.

I reckon he's gone

Agreed about the importance of him signing CTS but AFC have had a history of holding onto players that clearly were not capable of, ahem, taking us to the next level i.e. winning things.

Aitken, Hegarty and Miller all persisted with the same core of a team that won us very little and what JC has to be careful is that we don't keep people for the sake of it.

I think if we can get a fee for him he should be moved on for a younger model.

I hope he stays, he's probably been the most important signing we've made in the last decade.

Arguably the easiest point to agree with, considering ten years ago was probably Paul Heggarty's short-lived reign as Dons manager. Who did he sign? Oh yes, Jamie McAllister and David Lilley!

Agreed about the importance of him signing CTS but AFC have had a history of holding onto players that clearly were not capable of, ahem, taking us to the next level i.e. winning things.

Aitken, Hegarty and Miller all persisted with the same core of a team that won us very little and what JC has to be careful is that we don't keep people for the sake of it.

The next level, I just need to kill this bad guy to get to the next level...

19396_af28619c1afca1a8_IMAGE_inline.jpg

Agree with this completely.

Seve actually hinders our game at times nowadays. Too often a simple pass becomes a 60 yard punt to somewhere near the corner.

He gave us stability in a midfield and scored some great goals but, sadly, his best days are long gone. He barely trains nowadays if rumours are to be believed and he's clearly put on quite a bit of weight.