Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Don't write off quality of SPL, warns Aberdeen star Charlie Mulgrew

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2008/12/17/don-t-write-off-quality-of-spl-warns-aberdeen-star-charlie-mulgrew-86908-20976737/

ABERDEEN star Charlie Mulgrew has leapt to the defence of the SPL - claiming it is every bit a as good as the English Championship.

The Scotland Under-21 defender moved to Pittodrie from Wolves in the summer after rejecting a better offer from Swindon to stay down south.

And the 23-year-old has never regretted that decision because he is convinced the Dons are now back on course to return to Europe.

Mulgrew said: "Because of what happened to Scottish clubs in Europe this season there seems to be a lot of doom and gloom about our game.

"But there are many good young players pushing through at various clubs and I don't think this is the right time to get down on Scottish football.

"This is a time to be positive about the future given that talent and having played down in the Championship, our game compares favourably.

"The SPL is a better standard than man people give it credit for as it is similar to what I was used to at Wolves. Players like Ross McCormack and a few others have gone down there and done well recently so there's no need to be depressed about things.

"At Cardiff Rosco has shown a lot of ability and has proved that by being one of the top scorers in the Championship this season.

"This is an ambitious club which is a major reason why I joined it in in the first place.

"Getting back in to European football is a massive incentive. I watched the exciting occasions the team had in the UEFA Cup on TV last season. All the boys who played in those games want more of that while the new ones like me are hoping to get involved next time."

I agree with him 100%, I've watched a fair few teams from the Championship and they're certainly not superior to the top 6 in the SPL.  I think Scottish football is a lot better than some folk would have you believe.

"The SPL is a better standard than many people give it credit for as it is similar to what I was used to at Wolves. Players like Ross McCormack and a few others have gone down there and done well recently so there's no need to be depressed about things.

Tut tut!

Terrible reporting.

But yeah, most of the championship football i've seen is no better than an average SPL game. I'd go as far to say as good SPL games are much better than games between mediocre EPL teams.

I'd say in one off games the top 6 could easily match the mediocre EPL teams, however over a sustained period I wouldn't be sure what with our lack of quality cover in the squads. I don't think we'd have much problem against championship teams though. Can't say i've ever been that impressed when i've watched some of those games! However the bottom six of the SPL, god its hard watching.

I have not had the pleasure or otherwise of watching the 2nd tier of English football, nor can I ever enviasge watching it.

All I do know, is that the premier tier in Scottish fitba, or at least the games involving Aberdeen, for many years now, have been hard work.

+1

Guest fatshaft

I agree with him 100%, I've watched a fair few teams from the Championship and they're certainly not superior to the top 6 in the SPL.  I think Scottish football is a lot better than some folk would have you believe.

Absolutely. get fed up hearing the drivel spouted - especially down here - about how poor the SPL is, when the bottom of the EPL and the "championship"  ::) are nothing to write home about.

I get to watch 1 Championshio game a week in Setanta Canada. Got news for them. THEY'RE NAE ANY BETTER THAN ANY CONSISTANT SPL CLUB!!!

Where the SPL lacks is in the crowd support. I have no idea on how to address this. I reckon none of the SPL clubs (outwith the 2 ugly stepsisters) would consider dropping ticket prices. It seems that the need to make the "game day experience" more exciting. IF you have a full stadium every week, even at lower prices, you will make money on food, drink, and club shop items.

OK RANT OVER

I get to watch 1 Championshio game a week in Setanta Canada. Got news for them. THEY'RE NAE ANY BETTER THAN ANY CONSISTANT SPL CLUB!!!

Where the SPL lacks is in the crowd support. I have no idea on how to address this. I reckon none of the SPL clubs (outwith the 2 ugly stepsisters) would consider dropping ticket prices. It seems that the need to make the "game day experience" more exciting. IF you have a full stadium every week, even at lower prices, you will make money on food, drink, and club shop items.

OK RANT OVER

Every one keeps saying this but it's untrue. Aberdeen don't make any less or anymore whether there are 9000 at the game or 19000.

the difference is that when there is 19000 @ the game, the atmosphere is better and you feel like you want you come back. (especially if it's your 1st game)

My 1st game was 2003 V the Tims and I was hooked. My daughter's 1st game was V Gretna last year and she loved it but I could tell that she was less than impressed after being at Toronto FC's constant sellout games.

Note that I only equate the two teams because the stadiums are about the same size.

the difference is that when there is 19000 @ the game, the atmosphere is better and you feel like you want you come back. (especially if it's your 1st game)

My 1st game was 2003 V the Tims and I was hooked. My daughter's 1st game was V Gretna last year and she loved it but I could tell that she was less than impressed after being at Toronto FC's constant sellout games.

Note that I only equate the two teams because the stadiums are about the same size.

I meant in relation to the profits of food goods dude.

Problem is, dropping the price would not automatically increase the support to compensate. If you dropped prices by 50% you would just get 10-20% more people at best with everyone paying 50% of the ticket price. Even the less commercially aware could tell you that is not going to work.

The championship have the ££££s coming into their clubs to be significantly better off than us which makes it even more depressing if their football is no better for it. If you can't improve the product by providing cheaper tickets (and increasing attendances) or by increasing TV income then there really isn't much point in bothering at all is there  :