Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Nicholl target for Dundee

Guest leith_red
Alex Rae has been sacked as manager of Dundee after a disappointing start to their First Division promotion bid.

The former Rangers, Sunderland and Wolves midfielder was relieved of his duties after Saturday's 2-1 defeat at home to struggling Ross County.

Rae, 39, had lost support in the boardroom but was unhappy at the summer sale of top players like Kevin McDonald, who was sold to Burnley.

Dundee are third bottom of Division One but remain just six points off the top.

Assistant manager David Farrell will take charge of the first-team for Saturday's match against Morton in Greenock as Dundee aim to resurrect their pursuit of leaders Queen of the South.

Queens manager Gordon Chisholm, along with coach Billy Dodds, are among those already being mentioned as possible successors to Rae.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee/7681011.stm

Jim Spence was reporting the sacking on radio scotland around half six tonight. He mentioned Jimmy Nicholls name along with a number of others. I even thought he would be linked with this when i heard Rae got the dunt.

Nicholl would have to jack it with us as there's no way they could give us compensation. The big question is does he even want the job?

Would be very surprised.

Guest swaddon

I also thought they might want Jimmy Nicholl. But unless he desperately wants to be a manager in his own right again, then I think he will stay with Aberdeen.

Aberdeen assistant boss Jimmy Nicholl has ruled himself out of taking the vacant managers job at Dundee. The former Raith Rovers number one had been linked with the post after Alex Rae was sacked last night. However Nicholl told Northsound Sport he'd only consider one managerial position should it arise. He said:

" I keep on having to say the same thing everytime a position comes up. It doesn't bother me or interest me I'm happy working here with Jimmy (Calderwood) and the players. But it's a different thing totally with the Northern Ireland job because the last time I went for an interview and didn't get it. Jimmy knows that if the same situation arose again then it's realistically the only job I'd go for. "