Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

If we lose to hibs

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As I said elsewhere tonight, this time last year we'd played 8 league games and had 8 points. This year so far we've played 7 and have 7 points. Not much of a difference.

To compare, 2007:

Utd - L

Hearts - D

Celtic - L

Hibs - D

Killie - W

Well - L

Rangers - L

Gretna - W

2008:

ICT - L

Well - W

Rangers - D

St Mirren - W

Hamilton - L

Utd - L

Celtic - L

It's not anything like some people are making out, some people need to relax. It's a new team, new players. Pretty much an entire new midfield trying to get settled in.

well said that lady!

:clap:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once asked Ebbe about our notorious slow starts to the season at a fans forum and he blamed difficult games at the start... it does seem like we always have a slow start and come good later on though so I'm sitting tight

I'd agree with that, over the past couple of seasons we seem to be a slow starting team, but once we find some form we are generally fine.

Our record at home last season was surprisingly good, not something i realised until someone pointed out that the caley game was only our 4th defeat at home in 27 matches or something. once the team finds its feet and learn how to function as a unit i'm confident it will be fine!

I have always wondered about the difference between a 5 million footballer and a 10 million footballer - how much does ability change?  The usual answer is that "it's how they fit into the team".

Now Aberdeen are accused of having "the best of the rest" in terms of finances... albeit after the OF AND Hearts.

But what is the difference between a 50,000 player and an 100,000 player... or a 1,000-per-week player or a 2,000-per-week player.

How far up the pay scale do you need to go to get results?

I would suggest to guarantee "best-of-the-rest" status we would need to at least quadruple spending on transfers and wages.

Even despite our so-called big spending, i hardly think that it's enough to buy us ANY league position (except possibly a top six) or buy us any cups, not in the same respect that chelsea (and hearts  ;)) are trying to buy the chumps league.

I once asked Ebbe about our notorious slow starts to the season at a fans forum and he blamed difficult games at the start... it does seem like we always have a slow start and come good later on though so I'm sitting tight

We havent had as hard a start this season though with potential banker home wins against Caley and Hamilton going tits up :hammer: That said we have drawn with the huns, should have at least drawn with the tims and beaten Motherwell away. A mixed bag.

In terms of our start, the frustrating part has been the losses to the crap teams and good performances against the old firm. Do we lack motivation? Preparation? Aren't both these areas to the management team?

My point about offering better wages is that we should have the slightly better players. Looking at our squad many feel we should or do have the 3rd best squad in the league but performances and results don't show that. However, for arguments sake, if we are all equal then it all comes down to coaching and the coach getting the best out of the players he has - I don't think JC gets the best out of our players. I feel the sign of a good coach is getting consistent performances from the players - we don't get that.

I certainly hope we come good. If we do great, but the frustration of many has been there for a long time. Even the excitement of Europe and cup finals didn't hide the fact that we probably played half a dozen decent games last year. The debate of good performances and entertainment versus results is always a sticky one - many of us just want entertained, and if we play better quality, entertain, I think we trully feel results will come from that. We don't have to play dour long ball crap to get results.

As I said elsewhere tonight, this time last year we'd played 8 league games and had 8 points. This year so far we've played 7 and have 7 points. Not much of a difference.

To compare, 2007:

Utd - L

Hearts - D

Celtic - L

Hibs - D

Killie - W

Well - L

Rangers - L

Gretna - W

2008:

ICT - L

Well - W

Rangers - D

St Mirren - W

Hamilton - L

Utd - L

Celtic - L

It's not anything like some people are making out, some people need to relax. It's a new team, new players. Pretty much an entire new midfield trying to get settled in.

Sounds not much different but when you compare who we have still to play this year with who we had to play last year before the end of the first quarter then this is where the bad part comes in.

To compare, 2007:

Utd - L

Hearts - D

Celtic - L

Hibs - D

Killie - W

Well - L

Rangers - L

Gretna - W

2008:

ICT - L

Well - W

Rangers - D

St Mirren - W

Hamilton - L

Utd - L

Celtic - L

thats a good point on the points this and last seasons,  but isnt pre-season the time for players to get settled.

To compare, 2007:

Utd - L

Hearts - D

Celtic - L

Hibs - D

Killie - W

Well - L

Rangers - L

Gretna - W

2008:

ICT - L

Well - W

Rangers - D

St Mirren - W

Hamilton - L

Utd - L

Celtic - L

last season we were still in the league cup and the UEFA cup. This year we are not.

So we lost one more game?

Notorious slow starters and that looks like something that isn't changing too readily so maybe, as someone already said, pre-season needs looked at.

Despite that, players can come in after that and players can get injured during and after pre-season (Yes Mr Smith, I'm looking at your porcelain legs).

Guest onlyjim

1 Rangers            7 3 0 0 6 2 3 1 0 9 3 10      19

2 Celtic                7 3 0 1 9 6 2 1 0 8 4 7        16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Hearts              7 3 0 0 6 3 1 0 3 3 8 -2      12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Inverness CT    7 1 1 2 5 5 2 0 1 4 2 2        10

5 Kilmarnock        7 2 0 1 3 3 1 1 2 4 5 -1      10

6 Hibernian          7 2 0 2 5 7 1 1 1 2 2 -2      10

7 Hamilton          7 1 0 2 4 4 2 0 2 4 6 -2      9

8 Dundee Utd      7 1 1 1 4 3 1 1 2 4 6 -1      8

9 Falkirk              7 2 0 2 7 5 0 1 2 3 7 -2      7

10 Motherwell      7 1 1 2 5 7 1 0 2 4 5 -3      7

11 Aberdeen        7 0 1 3 2 6 2 0 1 4 3 -3      7

12 St Mirren        7 0 2 1 1 2 1 0 3 4 6 -3      5

If we win and Motherwell, Falkirk, Dundee U and hamilton lose or draw we could go up four places.

Maybe even more if we score loadsa goals.

I think i should wake up now and stop dreaming.

Guest fatshaft

I think it's time up for Jimmy Calderwood, no manager can carry on after losing four games in a row, and taking 1 point from 15 at home.

It's five in a row.

Although I agree with you both, surely the job of the strikers is to put the ball in the net? If we had scored 3 or 4 beforehand, then the penalty and the sending off wouldnt have mattered. We need to take advantage of our possession and the strikers clearly are not playing as well as they should.

Although I agree with you both, surely the job of the strikers is to put the ball in the net? If we had scored 3 or 4 beforehand, then the penalty and the sending off wouldnt have mattered. We need to take advantage of our possession and the strikers clearly are not playing as well as they should.

Agree, they need to put it in the back of the net, but I have to say Mackie was excellent today.

On another point, both Foster and Seve tried to chip a keeper who is very tall, they should be going for power and into the bottom corner instead of trying lobs that won't come off.

What can i say about my beloved Dons, there is a real problem at Pittodrie, Jimmy Calderwood has to walk NOW as i feel the team needs a severe look at, if i was the manager i would question the players, come on Mackie isnt good enough but he is a trier. I read the EE and they keep saying we will do this at that to hibs and what we get beat. I think maybe the best thing for AFC is to get relegated then step up again cause people are paying good money to watch an average team. The only players i would keep at pittodrie are Langfield, Melgrew, Young, Miller and maybe Foster, the rest are below average. Dick Donald rid all of aberdeen's debt and said it would never happen again, he would be turning in his grave knowing we are nearly 10 milliion in debt, Stewart Milne gave it 5 years, he is the MAIN problem. I would love to see Mr Hughes from falkirk come in and kick some ass

I thought we deserved to win the game and played well.

Sounded to me exactly the same as the UTD game (and possibly Hamilton as well). We had huge amounts of possession and so were able to look reasonably good in spells. Critically though, we made very few chances and never really looked like scoring from open play. It's all well and good to say that we 'played well' but when a team comes to Pittodrie and sits in, soaking up the minor amount of pressure we put on them and then waits to hit us with the sucker punch then we are going to get done everytime. We only had possession because Hibs let us have it, as did UTD when they came to Pittodrie. These teams are coming up and mugging us because we haven't got the fire power to hurt them. Its fucking embarrassing.