Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

If we lose to hibs

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put depends how badly we loose because if we get humped surely his position becomes untenable.

Lets face it, if Jimmy had got the team playing to their potential in every game we should be top having only dropped points to Celtic, ironically the only team Jimmy got a performance out of his players against this season.

I think that the problem is that folk have become so polarized in their opinions.

You raise some interesting points but i dont think everyone is polarised in their opinions.  A lot of fans like myself have backed calderwood for years stating that its a results driven business and regardless of how they have been achieved that JC had some impressive ones under his belt.  These same fans were also annoyed with his constant tinkering with the side and quite frankly ridiculous tactical choices but were prepared to look past this given that results for the most part were going our way.  Clearly this season this has not happened, hence posts like this.  If we take a shoeing at home from a very average hibs side then i think its quite right that knives are getting sharpened

I don't want him sacked but don't think "Jimmy is God".

I think that the problem is that folk have become so polarized in their opinions.

Anyway - if the "JMG" crowd get him sacked - and we end up shitter than we are just now - roll on the next sacking, and the next, and the next! Should keep the majority of Aberdeen fans happy as they'll be in perpetual moan.

Aberdeen fans slag off the press but then believe the bullshit touted about Falkirks brilliantly play and Hib's silky styles.  If they went to see Falkirk every week I'm sure they'd be in even more rage than now... never mind wanting hughes as manager.

Folk also go on about the attendances dropping - I would guess that every club has dropping attendances. We are no different.  Sacking the manager will not change this.

I've more important things to worry about than whether the majority of fans get the manager sacked... do what ye have to do... but don't come greeting to me when it all goes tits up.  I'm sure you'll already have the excuses ready and the scapegoats pinpointed for why it's all gone wrong by that point though.

Agree with the above.

Just bear in mind that Calderwood will get the blame if his successor fails.

I don't want him sacked but don't think "Jimmy is God".

Anyway - if the "JMG" crowd get him sacked - and we end up shitter than we are just now - roll on the next sacking, and the next, and the next! Should keep the majority of Aberdeen fans happy as they'll be in perpetual moan.

Agree in that I don't want him sacked just now, he deserves the chance to turn things around as it were and to be honest I actually think we will go on a bit of a run starting with the Hibs game on Saturday as that seems to be the way things have generally gone in previous seasons with JC. 

But, if he doesn't turn it around, then there has to be change. You can't not sack him in case the next guy isn't any better. At some point you have to gamble on making a change that will improve our lot.

I think that many posts on here regarding sacking JC have plenty of valid and appropriate points which I could list yet again if so desired. I don't see polarized opinions or tabloid debates but healthy and valid points/discussion which get slated for being anti-JC.

I see/read 4 arguments to keeping JC -

It's only x games into the season - he's not being judged on this season but is being judged on his entire management and his product on the park. While many relate to our success last year the bottom line is we didn't reach another cup final yet again and didn't qualify for Europe. That should be our season goals every year in my opinion. The Euro run was excellent and I loved it but our last 3 'biggest' games have all been in the domestic cups and we've lost all by conceding 4 goals. Something is wrong.

We're just sacking another manager - he's one of the longest serving managers in the league. This is not a knee jerk rash decision. Most people gave JC a chance as I did but he's had long enough and we're still not good enough.

The anti JC fans are living in the "Fergie' past - we're not, we just expect more. A cup final and entertainment on the park. Just because we're not as shit as we used to be doesn't make JC a success.

Sacking JC will be a step backwards to the shitty days - in my opinion that won't happen. Our darkest days were when we overspent then cut costs and others kept spending. Now we are one of the 'bigger' spenders and pay better wages yet we are not one of the better teams.

I honestly don't see a good reason to keeping JC any more. We are 3 months into the season as far as I am concerned (players returned early July) and we're struggling. I just think a freshface, new tactics and ideas etc. is what we need at present.

The majority of fans don't come onto this website.  There are valid reasons for getting a new boss - the same way there are valid reasons for him to stay.  That's what I was driving at it's not all JMG or JIG.

The majority of fans don't believe the other side has an argument and can't understand the other side's point of view.

My gut feeling is that a sacking would be a bad move... better to ride out the contract or wait and see if he wants to resign to go somewhere else.

I hate this pencilling in of folk who are either in the JMG or JIG mob, and I'm sure you are the same.  I'm in neither!  :thumbsup:

The majority of fans don't come onto this website.  There are valid reasons for getting a new boss - the same way there are valid reasons for him to stay.  That's what I was driving at it's not all JMG or JIG.

The majority of fans don't believe the other side has an argument and can't understand the other side's point of view.

My gut feeling is that a sacking would be a bad move... better to ride out the contract or wait and see if he wants to resign to go somewhere else.

I think most can see and understand all points of view, I know we have gone on bad runs in the past under Jimmy and he has turned it around. He has stabilised the club and I think he can keep us stable, I hope we go on a run of wins now. I agree that sacking him now is probably not in the best interests of the business given the 2 3/4 season he has left to run on his contract.

There has to be a point where someone (whether that be Jimmy himself or Milne) has to act. Then again it would be entirely symptomatic of the entire club for us to continue to produce bad results and for no changes to happen. Jimmy thinks its acceptable for the playing staff, so presumably it's acceptable for the management, and it has been evident in the boardroom for the last 15 years or so.

I don't understand the 'I'm sure he'll turn it around?' comments? Under what logic/thoughts? For 4 years JC has baffled us with tactics, selections etc., and good performances are few and remote.

If he stays I'd happily see him do well, the team play well, entertain, success etc. and openly say I was wrong. However, I don't know what he has done to give people this optimism. Our top 6 stabilization has coincided with the financial spendings/levelling off of all SPL team (except the old firm.) I think we'd have seen this from any manager to be honest given we now have better resources than most SPL clubs.

I don't understand the 'I'm sure he'll turn it around?' comments? Under what logic/thoughts? For 4 years JC has baffled us with tactics, selections etc., and good performances are few and remote.

If he stays I'd happily see him do well, the team play well, entertain, success etc. and openly say I was wrong. However, I don't know what he has done to give people this optimism. Our top 6 stabilization has coincided with the financial spendings/levelling off of all SPL team (except the old firm.) I think we'd have seen this from any manager to be honest given we now have better resources than most SPL clubs.

And for years we had managers who seemed to know what they were trying to do but almost got us relegated.

Every season under JC fans have complained at the start, 2 years ago people were complaining saying he should go after a draw at home to ICT followed by a draw at St Mirren and people called for his head, that season where did we finish?

I just find it refreshing to gsee some level headed debate as opposed to the rabid pish you get on a certain other site.

I personally am in full agreement with Jagardeen but do fluctuate back and forwards depending on the leval of frustration I feel after another bad result.

Managers who know what we are doing.......

Prior to Aitken all post Fergie managers were semi-successful in league position and cup finals. Porterfield was dodgy but brought Charlie Nich, Peter Nich etc. and we were entertaining.

Aitken - limited/no managerial experience so shouldn't have gotten the Dons job IMHO

Alex Miller was awful but was a big part of Liverpool. Funny old game.

Hegarty - limited/no managerial experience so shouldn't have gotten the Dons job IMHO

Ebbe was successful with Brondby but failed with us???

Paterson admitted himself he shouldn't have taken the dons job.

I've said this before and got slated. We should be the best of a bad lot as the quality of the SPL is not that strong and with our funds/resources we should be competing for 3rd every year, should be in cup finals, and qualify for Europe. I don't see any non old firm team with better players and haven't really for the entire JC era (maybe Hearts at the beginning of Romanov.) Yes, there have been highs and lows over the last 4 years, but we're still not good enough compared to very average opposition.

Act now, strong premier this year, and getting relegated wuld be far more expensive than paying off jimmy's contract, has done a great job, but has made mistakes in terms of letting players become available for nothing, and not being able to replace them.  Really feel hes went stale.  Need to give new man the time to be able to get us up the table.

I assume it's because, to some extent, he's taken the club forward every year. 

You could also say that this team is relatively new and it's still early days for them.  One of the partnerships, central midfield (Kerr-Macdonald), is a new pairing and I think they're still trying to get to grips with the way Aberdeen play and the way their partner plays.  Our defence is also new in respect of the full-backs (Foster/Hodgkiss at RB and Mulgrew at LB).  We've still not found the right blend up-front and I think that's down to the players that have been injured.

On paper, we've got the makings of a pretty good first eleven, as good as any outside the Old Firm.  My biggest concern is that I still don't think Calderwood is 100% sure of his best 11 yet, for various reasons.  I think he's a fair idea of the eleven he wants to put out, but he's not had the opportunity yet.

I'd say the first eleven, if fit, would be (what I think JC would play, not what I'd necessarily play  ;D)

Langfield

Foster    Diamond Severin    Mulgrew

Smith     Macdonald Kerr       Aluko

Mackie   Miller

I don't think he's had the chance to put this eleven out yet, for one game, let alone a run of games.

I agree we 'could' have a strong first eleven but we don't. Seve is not a defender (and is injury prone), Smith is always injured, Miller is extremely inconsistent - we pay much of our squad money to three limited productivity players, not three week in week out stars. Foster is not a starting RB and Mackie has proven for years that while he works hard he's a squad player and not a starting forward/goalscorer. We've had almost 18 months to fix the loss of Andreson but haven't done that. I don't think he knows what our best formation and team is..... and may never know.

I don't agree he has taken us forward every year. That suggests we are building on the previous year - we seem to start from scratch every year and hope it works out.

I don't agree he has taken us forward every year. That suggests we are building on the previous year - we seem to start from scratch every year and hope it works out.

Apart from the season we finished 6th, he's undoubtedly taken us forward year on year.  His biggest problem from last season was the fact he lost 3 of his regular starters in Clark, Hart and Anderson.

Even though last season was relatively successful, on and off the field, we all knew that we had to rid ourselves of the deadwood, which he did, and try and replace them with a very limited budget.  It's way too early to say whether Calderwood's been successful or not.

One of the problems with JC's reign is the peaks and troughs we experience. This is why I have said I'm sure it will be 'turned around', however, I don't for a second believe it will be a long term turnaround. It will more likely be a short burst of results followed by another sticky patch..... ad infinitum. That's my long view and it makes me think that a change would be good but that is only if we can secure a manager who can actually do something more. I'm not interested in sacrificial sackings to appease a blood thirsty section of our fanbase who have a time horizon of about a dozen games before the wrists are being opened again.

It seems to me that anyone on here who gives more than an ounce of reasoned thought to this debate has a similar outlook so for now its about getting behind them and hoping for a burst of success to push us up the table and see what goes from there. I agree with Jager that we will probably just have to ride out the contract and see what's in store after that. At least we're not a bank.  :thumbsup:

HE has taken us forward yet we went from 3rd to 4th?  In my eyes that is going backwards

You must've missed the bit where I said 'on and off the field'.

4th in the league, two semi-finals, last 32 of the UEFA, and the first season in God knows how long that we made a profit, is a vast improvement from the previous year in my opinion.

As I said elsewhere tonight, this time last year we'd played 8 league games and had 8 points. This year so far we've played 7 and have 7 points. Not much of a difference.

To compare, 2007:

Utd - L

Hearts - D

Celtic - L

Hibs - D

Killie - W

Well - L

Rangers - L

Gretna - W

2008:

ICT - L

Well - W

Rangers - D

St Mirren - W

Hamilton - L

Utd - L

Celtic - L

It's not anything like some people are making out, some people need to relax. It's a new team, new players. Pretty much an entire new midfield trying to get settled in.