Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Celtic v Aberdeen

Remember and do your predictors folks

Score http://www.thedandies.co.uk/messageboard/index.php?topic=6078.0

Guess the crowd http://www.thedandies.co.uk/messageboard/index.php?topic=6076.0

BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/predictor/index.shtml

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/856931

Tomorrow’s Dons game at Celtic has taken on a whole new significance – but Neil Simpson isn’t fazed

Hard work. Two words which will today take on extra significance at Pittodrie as the Aberdeen first team arrives for work on the eve of the biggest game of the season to date.

Tomorrow, Jimmy Calderwood sends his team out to face Celtic at Parkhead in what could prove a pivotal moment in the campaign.

After three consecutive defeats, victory against the odds over the SPL champions would stem the wave of criticism and turn the tide back in the manager’s favour.

Defeat would set up a home match against Hibs next weekend which would provide the sternest examination of Calderwood’s character.

For those who work within the confines of Pittodrie, there is no secret surrounding the solution to the current troubles.

Neil Simpson, an assistant director of the club’s youth academy, has backed the current crop of players to make amends for the disappointment of recent weeks by producing a positive performance against Celtic tomorrow.

Simpson said: “It is easy to be critical. We all want our team to do well because we are all supporters, but there also has to be an appreciation that there are no easy games in Scottish football.

“The only way forward is to get back on the training ground, roll up the sleeves and work through this difficult period to build up a series of results.

“There was nothing between Aberdeen and Dundee United at the weekend and Hamilton won by just a single goal the week before.

“That is typical of the SPL, where the dividing line between success and failure is so thin.

“Outside of the Old Firm there really is little between any of the teams.

“It is all about which team is the most solid and can get the first goal.

“It just needs somebody to spark something for us, to break the bad run and get a win on the board.

“I am sure the players will battle on and come through the other side.â€

Calderwood’s new recruits have had swift introductions to life as an Aberdeen player and the pressure the role brings.

Simpson believes the summer additions have already shown they are capable of shouldering the burden, but has called for patience as the new side settles. He remembered the early days of some of his fellow Gothenburg Greats.

He said: “It took Peter Weir a season to settle. Mark McGhee had a terrible first year at the club and I can remember Gordon Strachan being absolutely blasted by Billy McNeill just after he arrived. We can learn from that.

“The difference now is you do not always get the time in the modern game to ride out the transitional periods. We always expect players to slot right in, but it is bound to take time for a new team to gel.

“It is no different from any company taking in new staff and everyone has to get to know one another before you get the best out of them.

“The difference with the players I mentioned in the 1980s is they were coming into a team with a lot of experience already in it. We have a very youthful team at Aberdeen at the moment and the experience will build as they all play more games.â€

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy this excuse of players having to settle; that's surely what pre-season is for? I know some players didn't arrive until after the season started, but it's still a poor excuse. Other clubs have signed players, and they can win at home.

I don't buy this excuse of players having to settle; that's surely what pre-season is for? I know some players didn't arrive until after the season started, but it's still a poor excuse. Other clubs have signed players, and they can win at home.

Load of bollocks considering that the problems have been in defence where the only changes have been the constant swapping about of the back 4.  Fair enough mulgrew came in but he settled pretty much straight away

I daresay the back 4 is going to need to change again, I'd stick Mair in and get Severin into midfield at Kerr's expense.

Wouldn't put it past us to sneak a draw.

going 451 would be the way forward for this game. kerr in front of the defence with seve and mcdonald in front of him. 

going 451 would be the way forward for this game. kerr in front of the defence with seve and mcdonald in front of him. 

I don't think we stand a chance if we can't score goals - with one up front, we might as well not turn up for the fixture.

Isn't the penalty for not playing just a 3-0 loss? maybe worth considering then....

A suggestion from Mad for tomorrow:

To the tune of 'Deliah'

Why ? Why ? Why ?

Aint you resignin ?

You fu*kin Weegie C*nt

Why ? Why ? Why ?

Aint you resignin ?

You Fu*kin Weegie C*nt

All we can say

Is it's time you were on yer way

So f*ck off now Jimmy

We can't this stand this sh*t anymore