Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

JN: I've warned him not to kick Wright

Lanzaat has week to earn deal

I’ve warned him not to kick Tommy Wright, says Nicholl

By Paul Third

Published: 20/08/2008

ABERDEEN assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl has urged trialist Quido Lanzaat to give his all in his bid to earn a contract at Pittodrie this week.

The Dutch defender, who played for Ajax, Borussia Munchengladbach and 1860 Munich, is training with the Dons this week after being released by Bulgarian club CSKA Sofia. The 29-year-old has impressed with his ability but Nicholl admits it will take more than a good display of technique if the player is to win a deal.

He said: “Quido was sucking air a bit on Monday as he wasn’t used to the pace of the training. We had another hard session today and we could see he has a good football brain. He reads situations and passes the ball well. Technically, he is very good, but we have seen Dutch defenders here in the past who have been very good in possession of the ball but when it comes to the physical side of the game, they struggle.

“Some of them have it and some don’t. We have a week to find out if Quido has it.â€

Lanzaat has rebuilt his career following a failed drugs test in 2002 when he was with Munchengladbach. He was banned for three months when a blood test found traces of hashish but put the incident behind him to forge a career in Germany and Bulgaria.

The Dons management is satisfied the offence was an isolated incident and will judge the player on his performance this week.

Nicholl said: “If you are a centre forward you can score goals in training and if you are a winger you can cross balls and impress, but as a defender you have to show aggression as well as technical ability.

“Jimmy has given him a week to impress and we have signed players in the past on the back of a trial. We’ve told him he is here on trial and he has to give us everything. There can be no holding back. If he has to kick Darren Mackie or Chris Maguire in training then so be it, but I’ve warned him not to kick Tommy Wright.â€

:lolabove:

While Lanzaat focuses on winning a deal, Dons forward Wright has been cleared to face Rangers on Saturday after the SFA decided not to take further action following an off-the-ball incident between Wright and Motherwell defender Stephen Craigan on Saturday.

Referee Steve Conroy included the incident in his report but decided no further action was necessary. Nicholl said: “I’m pleased Tommy can put Saturday behind him and concentrate on this game.â€

Guys, whilst can see the funny side of it, think our management team should be playing down the psycho side of Tommy Wright. Constant references to it in the press are only adding to the scrutiny he has himself ensured he'll come under in the coming weeks from refs.

Guys, whilst can see the funny side of it, think our management team should be playing down the psycho side of Tommy Wright. Constant references to it in the press are only adding to the scrutiny he has himself ensured he'll come under in the coming weeks from refs.

:clap:

Have some rare applause!  ;)

Completely agree however I think he's already done that himself with his first statement to the press. But I agree whilst I enjoyed reading it, doesn't do much for him if he tries to "tone" it down a bit.

“Jimmy has given him a week to impress and we have signed players in the past on the back of a trial. We’ve told him he is here on trial and he has to give us everything. There can be no holding back. If he has to kick Darren Mackie or Chris Maguire in training then so be it, but I’ve warned him not to kick Tommy Wright.â€

Tommy Wright is made of metal

:clap:

I totally agree as I strongly suspect the sensationalist way his "headbutt"/the subsequent investigation was reported is just the weegie press laying the foundations for their build-up to and report of Saturday's game.

“There can be no holding back. If he has to kick Darren Mackie or Chris Maguire in training then so be it, but I’ve warned him not to kick Tommy Wright.[/b]â€

:lolabove:

Didn't Steve Lovell effectively end his Aberdeen career by doing that?