Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Diamond could be out for 6 weeks

Diamond injury blow for Aberdeen

Defender facing six weeks out

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 22/07/2008

DONS defender Zander Diamond could be out for six weeks after aggravating a foot injury during the 1-0 friendly win over Brechin City.

Diamond will definitely be sidelined for the next 10 days after being ordered to rest completely in the hope the injury, which has plagued the centre-back since last season, clears.

But manager Jimmy Calderwood admitted Diamond faces the prospect of being out for at least a month after that if the rest cure fails to work.

“It’s a major worry because Zander is such a big part of our plans for the new season,†said Calderwood.

“The club doctor says we have to give Zander 10 days of complete rest and take it from there.

“If Zander doesn’t recover it could be another four or five weeks after that before he is fit, but we are trying not to look at it that way at the moment.

“Hopefully the rest period will ensure he is ready to face Inverness Caley Thistle in the league opener. We will just have to keep our fingers crossed for that.â€

Zander, who was substituted early in the second period and spent the remainder of the evening with an ice pack applied to his injured foot, said: “There is no way I want to miss the start of the season.

“The injury has been bothering me for a while, but I thought it had cleared up. I came off as soon as I realised there was a problem and I’m hoping that has helped.â€

Skipper Scott Severin, Stuart Duff, Lee Mair and summer signing Gary McDonald have also picked up knocks, although they – like Diamond – will travel to their pre-season training camp in Holland tomorrow.

Calderwood said: “Seve picked up a knock in training and the others were injured playing.

“Duff is likely to be out for a week, but I’m hoping the others will be fine by the weekend.â€

Diamond’s injury means Haiti international trialist Lescinel Jean-Francois will get his chance in Thursday’s friendly against Dutch lower league side DZC.

The former Falkirk player was an unused substitute at Brechin.

Calderwood said: “It’s the ideal chance to see what the lad can do.

“He didn’t settle at Falkirk, mainly because he couldn’t speak English.

“He has sorted that now though, so we have taken up the option to see how he does in Holland. It’s up to him from here on.â€

The Dons will also be met in Holland by young striker Dyon Camero, who spent a period on trial at Pittodrie last season.

The 19-year-old is with amateur side FC Zutphen.

Dutch winger Jeffrey de Visscher is also clear to travel after his partner, Marijke, gave birth to a daughter on Sunday afternoon. The new arrival is a sister for their other child, Julia.

Calderwood said: “It’s been a hectic few days for Jeffrey, and we are all pleased for him and his family.â€

Guest swaddon

I'm nae that worried. Charlie and Jimmy say he could be out for six weeks, it doesn't say that he definitely will be out for six weeks. We'll just have to keep everything crossed that he makes a quick recovery.

Get a grip!

The player could take the club to an employment tribunal if they felt their job was threatened by this.

If anything - employers are reluctant to have injured employees on normal duties in case they aggravate injuries and try to blame them for it!

At minimum it would need to be a mutual decision between the player and the club - not the decision of just the manager.

You boys got any theories on the Princess Diana Crash or Alien Abductions?

In industry its the fear of being sued that prevents employers forcing folk back to work. Not the same fear for football clubs.