Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Betting Thread

Possibly a good bet tonight in the Spanish games. Osasuna are 3/1 (Paddy Power) to beat Barca who are putting out a second string side.  Osasuna, i believe, have to win to get out the relegation zone.  May well be worth a punt, but then again...

I went with Barca

:-\

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put £2.50 e/w on Barcelona at (9/1) to win Champions League in August 2008 so am pretty pleased to be collecting £38.75!!  Maybe patience is a virtue.

Took the same stake on AC Milan to win UEFA Cup at (7/1) same day and should never have lost to Werder Bremen in Last 32!!!

Can anyone tell me what Season`s were the following Bets Up;

£10 on Van Nistelrooy at (7/2) (Top Scorer in Champions League)

£5 on Andriy Shevchenko at (7/1) (Same As Above)

£2.50 e/w Kaka at (10/1) (Same As Above)

Put £2.50 e/w on Barcelona at (9/1) to win Champions League in August 2008 so am pretty pleased to be collecting £38.75!!   Maybe patience is a virtue.

Took the same stake on AC Milan to win UEFA Cup at (7/1) same day and should never have lost to Werder Bremen in Last 32!!!

Can anyone tell me what Season`s were the following Bets Up;

£10 on Van Nistelrooy at (7/2) (Top Scorer in Champions League)

£5 on Andriy Shevchenko at (7/1) (Same As Above)

£2.50 e/w Kaka at (10/1) (Same As Above)

Would it be that hard to check it yourself?

GlasgowDon,

I`m not very good at finding the information I want from the internet.  I know they came in three consecutive seasons and the last few years I ain`t bothered with this kind of bet.  But hey I just for a laugh did the Barcelona/AC Milan thing whilst waiting for the bus home to Duns after being at the dentist.

GlasgowDon,

I`m not very good at finding the information I want from the internet.  I know they came in three consecutive seasons and the last few years I ain`t bothered with this kind of bet.  But hey I just for a laugh did the Barcelona/AC Milan thing whilst waiting for the bus home to Duns after being at the dentist.

Have you heard of Google?

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit excited during Ascot and lost 20 quid. :(

Crikey! Stop the presses!!  ;)  Perhaps an idea to keep your idea out for this stable's horses:

Manchester United's Paul Scholes Wins £240,000

The Red Devils midfielder shows his betting skills by winning almost a quarter of a million pounds on the horses...

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has won £240,000 in horse race winnings, according to The Mirror.

The former England midfielder won the money over two days, picking nags from the stable of his favourite trainer, Howard Johnson.

He began his spree with a £1000 bet on Nosferatu at York and followed this up with separate bets of £20,000 and £25,000, meaning the bookies had to pay a cool £170,000 in winnings to the 34-year-old.

A source told The Mirror, "Paul has been a fan of trainer Howard Johnson for quite a while now.

"He really likes the way his yard is run and, if he spots that one of his horses is in a race, he will invariably back it.

"Over the years, he has won quite a bit on Johnson-trained horses, but this was an amazing run of results.

"To win three bets in a row on horses all trained at the same yard is pretty unusual. What makes it even more impressive is that only one of the three he backed was the favourite," added the unnamed source.

Friends have reportedly revealed that Scholes used to bet just a few hundred pounds on horse racing, but this has increased into the thousands after a trip to Chester races last month.

The United legend owns four horses, and recently said, "I just like to see the horses, watching them train, seeing how they go."

It is, perhaps, the ultimate hobby for someone who has a massive amount of money and no idea what to do with it.

The Red Devils midfielder has been heavily linked with a move to Stoke City this summer, and could be set to leave Old Trafford after 15 years service with the club.

Crikey! Stop the presses!!  ;)  Perhaps an idea to keep your idea out for this stable's horses:

£20 is a lot of money for me. I only have £140 in my current a/c and I owe my brother £150 for a ST. I was trying to make my money back for the ST. I put a 50/1 horse 2.50 each way but a 66/1 horse won. I was thinking only if...

£20 is a lot of money for me. I only have £140 in my current a/c and I owe my brother £150 for a ST. I was trying to make my money back for the ST. I put a 50/1 horse 2.50 each way but a 66/1 horse won. I was thinking only if...

That was a fucked up bet if ended up costing you £50.

First rule of gambling Andrew; never, ever rely or expect gambling to pay for your debts.  It'll make you desperate and you'll end up betting on ridiculous bets and when they lose it hits you hard. 

I hate to sound like an advert for Responsible Gambling, but betting is supposed to be fun (that's why I do it as well as making a decent amount from it - prior to this season anyway which has been shit), as soon as it's not fun you've got a problem.

bet big on low odds - only chance you have of making any money.

It's punters that bet low on big odds that make the bookies their cash.

Next time Andrew - stick £100 on a team at 1/5.

Obviously - only if you can afford it. Otherwise - stick to £1 or £2 'five aways' on the fitba and definitely avoid the horses!

p.s. hope it's nae yer big brother or he'll kick yer bawz when he finds oot ye spunked some of the cash you owe him on a horse!  ;D

Pretty much.  I enjoy a couple of quid now and then on a scorecast on the big games, but 80% of bookies profits on football comes from Scorecasts.  Just shows you how stupid some folk are and you see it on the message boards too... guys sticking £20 on Zander to score first and the Dons to win 5-2 and things like that. Mug bets.

First rule of gambling Andrew; never, ever rely or expect gambling to pay for your debts.  It'll make you desperate and you'll end up betting on ridiculous bets and when they lose it hits you hard. 

I hate to sound like an advert for Responsible Gambling, but betting is supposed to be fun (that's why I do it as well as making a decent amount from it - prior to this season anyway which has been shit), as soon as it's not fun you've got a problem.

It's not like i'm losing serious money. I was half joking about the trying to pay off my debts bit. I just enjoy watching the races and putting a couple of quid on each race makes it more exciting. Even if I lost on every race.  :hammer: :hammer: