Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Alan Gow to be released

Rangers offload flop forward Filip Sebo for £1m as Lafferty admits Gers interest

May 29 2008 Exclusive by Keith Jackson and Anthony Haggerty

RANGERS last night took their earnings for the season to £30million - by finalising a deal to flog flop Filip Sebo.

The Ibrox club banked a £20m jackpot from their European campaign and raked in £9m from the January sale of Alan Hutton to Spurs.

And Sebo's £1m sale to French minnows Valenciennes, which should be confirmed in the next 24 hours, will mean manager Walter Smith has brought home a staggering cash total from his first full season back at the helm.

Now it remains to be seen how much of that money Smith will be allowed to spend this summer as he plots for phase three of the latest Ibrox revolution.

And last night one of his summer targets, Kyle Lafferty issued a and come-and-get-me plea to the Rangers boss. Smith lodged a bid of around £1.8m with Burnley for the Northern Ireland star - but will drop out of the race if his price continues to rise.

Lifelong Rangers fan Lafferty is unhappy under boss Owen Coyle and last night declared he can't wait to get out of Turf Moor.

Record Sport revealed on Tuesday the player was back on the radars of the Ibrox club and rivals Celtic, who tried and failed to land him in January.

A formal bid from Rangers chief executive Martin Bain landed on Coyle's desk in the past week but was thrown out along with an offer of £3.5m from Wolves.

Rangers will not be willing to pay as much for a player who has yet to prove himself at the highest level.

Celtic, who had an offer of £2.5m plus striker Derek Riordan turned down, are believed to be watching but have yet to re-affirm their interest.

Lafferty signed a four-year deal with Burnley in 2006.

The striker has hit five goals in 15 games for his country but bagged only five in 37 Championship games last season.

Lafferty said: "I've given my all to Burnley but don't feel wanted. No player is going to stay where he is not happy.

"I understand Rangers and Wolves want me and I'd be thrilled to move to either.

"Celtic are also interested but I don't think that's ever going to materialise.

"I was happy under Steve Cotterill at Burnley but things have changed and I don't feel the same way.

"If I had been given the opportunity to leave in the last two transfer windows I would have but those bids were turned down."

Lafferty revealed he would love the chance to emulate countryman Steven Davis' exploits at Ibrox.

Lafferty said: "It would be a dream to follow in Steven's footsteps but it's an honour to be linked with Celtic also."

Meanwhile, Brahim Hemdani, Alan Gow and Thomas Buffel have been told to find new clubs.

Share this article

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swaddon

Gow would be a great signing, but he'll end up at Wycombe or MK Dons or one of those other clubs that can afford to pay more than we do in wages.

This is exactly the type of signing we need. Someone with a bit of spark who can create something from nothing. Can't rely upon Jamie Smith for that, glass legs.

I notice we're linked with the boy Adam Hammil, young guy from Liverpool.

Both of these would be good signings.

Then go out and get Patrick Cregg and Ian Black / Don Cowie.

Then all we'll need is a centre half.

Piece of piss.

I notice we're linked with the boy Adam Hammil, young guy WHO GUESS WHAT!?!? USED TO PLAY FOR DUNFERMLINE!!!!!

Piece of piss.

I'd very very very surprised if Gowser ended up in an AFC jersey, we should try and get him but this would only be try number 2, a few to go before he actually signs for us.

I'd very very very surprised if Gowser ended up in an AFC jersey, we should try and get him but this would only be try number 2, a few to go before he actually signs for us.

Apparently he doesn't like Aberdeen's style of play and that's why he wasn't keen when we first approached him. Also, he still lives with Mummy and Daddy, so maybe moving ALL THE WAY to Aberdeen might be a bit much for him...

In all seriousness, it is. He doesn't drink, and Walter Smith sees this as not bonding with his team mates... therefore, he doesn't get picked. Remind you of anyone at all...?

Nope. ???

But the drinking and bonding culture is one synonymous with Rangers and tbh probably all Scottish clubs.

Supposedly Derek Adams when he was with us. (although he played a few games, he said this was the reason he was let go.)

Not because he wasn't good enough?  :lolabove:

He is a right cunt, remember him raking his studs through the pen spot after he "left" for Livi, subsequently Lovell ballooned the pen.

In all seriousness, it is. He doesn't drink, and Walter Smith sees this as not bonding with his team mates... therefore, he doesn't get picked. Remind you of anyone at all...?

Yes he does. I've seen him the in the Garage countless times and more often than not he is drunk.

From the BBC:

"Meanwhile, midfielder Alan Gow is determined to stay at Ibrox despite appearing only twice last season. Gow's agent Phil McTaggart told BBC Scotland: "Alan wants to give it another go. He'll be reporting for pre-season training."

Ach well, that'll be that, then.

From the BBC:

"Meanwhile, midfielder Alan Gow is determined to stay at Ibrox despite appearing only twice last season. Gow's agent Phil McTaggart told BBC Scotland: "Alan wants to give it another go. He'll be reporting for pre-season training."

Ach well, that'll be that, then.

Not a whole heap of point in that if they are saying he can go. When a club say you can go, it's not really a statement with options to stick it out and give it another go....they are telling you to get fucked, so you kinda have to....no ?