Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Alan Gow to be released

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it not depend a little on his contract?

They may say he's not as good as we thought he was, so we'd like to offload him - but if he's got a 3 year deal (not saying he has, I have no idea), then are they not obliged to pay the man - as long as he turns up, trains etc.

All very true and well spotted  :thumbsup: Still think his time is up when the club decide its up though

All very true and well spotted  :thumbsup: Still think his time is up when the club decide its up though

Absolutely true, unless the player is so lacking in ambition that he's happy to waste a good proportion of his career rotting away in the stands for relatively big money instead of playing regularly on a lower wage.

Another thing I don't get is the school of thought which seems to suggest Gow and Riordan are on a similar level. When Riordan was at Hibs he was being hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread and you could see why. When Gow was at Falkirk he was thought of as quite a good player by SPL standards but not exactly setting the heather alight. I'd say we've got far more chance of getting Gow than Riordan but wouldn't be particularly confident of getting either.

I don't recall anyone comapring the realtive merits of Gow and Riordan. Neither of them have played enough for a year to make any comparison.

On here before though, the same question came up about the possibility of AFC moving for Riordan.

The only comparison being they're both stuck at the OF and we could guarantee them a game.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes they are too.

They offered Riordan as part of their deal.

I believe Lafferty is a hun though and is reluctant to sign for Celtic.

Probably not keen on getting death threats from Northern Ireland fans either. ::)

Ah the good old West of Scotland bigotry is alive and well

Lafferty is indeed a Hun and has always said that it's his dream to play for the Filth.

Story goes that Huns are offering £3m + Gow in order to get Lafferty. The Tims only offered £2.75m + Riordan.

Considering Gow said that he didn't want to come to Aberdeen because it was too far away from home, moving to Burnley seems an odd choice.

For a guy who only likes to play with one man up front, Walter Smith doesn't half have a hard-on for signing new strikers.

- Darcheville

- Cousin

- Boyd

- Gow

- McCulloch

- Lafferty

- Velicka

- Novo

- Burke

All of these can - or do - play up front. What the fuck is Wattie playing at?

For a guy who only likes to play with one man up front, Walter Smith doesn't half have a hard-on for signing new strikers.

- Darcheville

- Cousin

- Boyd

- Gow

- McCulloch

- Lafferty

- Velicka

- Novo

- Burke

All of these can - or do - play up front. What the fuck is Wattie playing at?

Means they can't play AGAINST the filth....usual spoiling tactics.

Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty has agreed personal terms with Rangers, who have struck a cash-plus-player deal with the English Championship club.

Along with paying £3m to the Clarets, Rangers have offered midfielder Alan Gow as part of the deal.

The former Falkirk player has gone to Turf Moor to discuss the move.

Burnley manager Owen Coyle told his club's website: "We've received a very good offer from Rangers, a deal worth close to £4m when you include Gow."

Lafferty, 20, would become Rangers' third summer signing.

Rangers manager Walter Smith has already bolstered his attacking options after signing Kenny Miller and Andrius Velicka.

The Ibrox club tabled a bid for Lafferty two weeks ago, but now have increased that offer and added Gow.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

What do Rangers fans think of Kyle Lafferty?

Coyle said Lafferty had made it clear he wanted to leave Turf Moor.

"Ultimately, from the fans' point of view, Kyle wanted to leave the club after saying he felt it was time to move on.

"Provided the deal is concluded we wish him well, but ultimately, we want players who are fully committed to Burnley."

Burnley said both deals were subject to the players agreeing personal terms with their respective clubs.

Last week, Celtic had a bid for £2.75m plus Derek Riordan turned down by Burnley and Wolves were also interested in the Northern Ireland international.

Lafferty has been on the books at Turf Moor since 2005, and has scored 10 goals in 56 appearances for Owen Coyle's men.

The forward, a lifelong Rangers fan, has already won 16 caps for his country, notching five goals and has said he is keen to further his career elsewhere.

Gow, 25, has struggled to establish himself at Ibrox since moving from Falkirk last summer.

Looks like Gow is definitely going to burnley, shame as im sure he would have been an asset but i have faith jimmy will have a dutch part time gem lined up  ::)

Looks like Gow is definitely going to burnley, shame as im sure he would have been an asset but i have faith jimmy will have a dutch part time gem lined up  ::)

If Rangers are offering him as part of a deal, in which Gow will undoubtedly be paid more than we'd be able to offer, then what could JC have done?  ::)

If Rangers are offering him as part of a deal, in which Gow will undoubtedly be paid more than we'd be able to offer, then what could JC have done?  ::)

Absolutely nothing.

That's not the point i was making. I have no problem with Gow signing for someone else, my point was about the quality of replacement Calderwood will have in mind

Absolutely nothing.

That's not the point i was making. I have no problem with Gow signing for someone else, my point was about the quality of replacement Calderwood will have in mind

You're point was somewhat muddled in with the need to have a go at him.

Though quite why it's Calderwood's job to replace Gow I don't know.

Lafferty has been on the books at Turf Moor since 2005, and has scored 10 goals in 56 appearances for Owen Coyle's men.

He's not exactly prolific - or even a regular.

In the same period,Darren Mackie has appeared for the Dons 91 times and scored 23 goals - Mackie's "strike rate" is significantly better than Lafferty's.

So how is he worth the best part of 4M?

He's not exactly prolific - or even a regular.

In the same period,Darren Mackie has appeared for the Dons 91 times and scored 23 goals - Mackie's "strike rate" is significantly better than Lafferty's.

So how is he worth the best part of 4M?

Compare ages and compare it with Mackie's record at the same age, as well as Mackie's goal per game stats over the course of his career.

I don't think the lad worth 4 mill, but some cunt reckons Allan McGregor is worth 6 million, the world is radio rental.

Guest swaddon

Lafferty is fucking pish, I don't understand why the OF are desperate to sign him.

You've answered your own question there. Pish clubs sign pish players.

Aye sorry i didnt word that very well! :-[

I meant an alternative target

I don't think that Gow was ever a realistic target, let's be honest.  Still not 100% sure if he would've been a success.  There's no doubting the lad's got talent, but he's not proved it enough for me.

On another note, hasn't the lad McDonald been brought in for the position in which Gow would've played if we had signed him?