Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sunday Mail: JC set to sign Ritchie Foran

Dons set to strike Rich

May 18 2008

ABERDEEN are set to kick off their summer signings by snapping up former Motherwell striker Richie Foran.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood is desperate to capture the Southend hitman who was a big success during his two-and-ahalf years at Fir Park.

And the only stumbling block is a knee injury that has been troubling the Irishman.

Foran would cost around £100,000 from the club he joined in January last year.

He was loaned out to Darlington but returned to the League One Shrimpers last month with knee trouble.

That has alerted Caldo and now only a failed medical will stop Foran's switch to Pittodrie.

I'm very wary of Foran. He was really keen on signing for the Dons when his contract with Shelbourne was up for renewal. Ebbe went over to watch him play, but he got sent off. He pleaded with Ebbe to give him another chance. So Ebbe went over a second time a few weeks later. Guess what? He got sent off again!

I've got no doubt that Foran is a decent midfielder (well, when we were originally looking at him 8 years ago, he was a midfielder). But he's as big a liability as Nigel Pepper or Rachid Belabed. No point in fielding someone when there's a good chance you'll be playing one man down for the remainder of the match.

Cheap journalism at its best yet again. No direct quote from anyone...... going to take it all with a pinch of salt and hope that its crap ::)

If I was a betting man I'd say it was shit stirring from his agent who knows the geezer won't get a better/new contract at Sarfend and is trying to generate interest north of the border.

I'm very wary of Foran. He was really keen on signing for the Dons when his contract with Shelbourne was up for renewal. Ebbe went over to watch him play, but he got sent off. He pleaded with Ebbe to give him another chance. So Ebbe went over a second time a few weeks later. Guess what? He got sent off again!

I've got no doubt that Foran is a decent midfielder (well, when we were originally looking at him 8 years ago, he was a midfielder). But he's as big a liability as Nigel Pepper or Rachid Belabed. No point in fielding someone when there's a good chance you'll be playing one man down for the remainder of the match.

I can't remember him being too much of a liability in headcase sense for Motherwell. I don't fancy him in that I can't remember him being much more of an aggressive but average midfielder stroke forward. I really hope Calderwood is a bit smarter than this.

Guest bloo_toon_red

If I was a betting man I'd say it was shit stirring from his agent who knows the geezer won't get a better/new contract at Sarfend and is trying to generate interest north of the border.

If i was a betting man I'd say that Jimmy's head is easily turned by such shenanigans.

Foran scored a decent amount of goals at Motherwell and it was good business by them when they sold him.  Reasonably versatile as well, he reminded me of a poor man's Dean Windass (or dare I say it Lee McCulloch) - physical player who could play in midfield or up front.  We need players with a bit of bite about them.  I'm sure he'd be great to have about the place...

If i was a betting man I'd say that Jimmy's head is easily turned by such shenanigans.

Foran scored a decent amount of goals at Motherwell and it was good business by them when they sold him.  Reasonably versatile as well, he reminded me of a poor man's Dean Windass (or dare I say it Lee McCulloch) - physical player who could play in midfield or up front.  We need players with a bit of bite about them.  I'm sure he'd be great to have about the place...

I wouldn't be overly disappointed about signing him, as you say, a bit of bite wouldn't go amiss with the current squad but do OUR medical staff need injured players? They injure enough on their own!

Cheap journalism at its best yet again. No direct quote from anyone...... going to take it all with a pinch of salt and hope that its crap ::)

Certainly hope another agent fuelled non story.  Would be not too bad signing Foran maybe but to pay 100k for him is another altogether.

Aberdeen close in on new signings

Foran latest name linked with move north

Published: 19/05/2008

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood today revealed he expects to complete more new deals by Friday.

Irish striker Richie Foran is the latest name to be linked with a summer switch to the Dons.

The former Motherwell player, 27, is now at Southend and could move north in a £100,000 deal.

Calderwood has already raided England for Gary McDonald from Oldham and wants more new recruits.

“I’m pleased with the progress we’ve made so far,†said Calderwood.

“I would have liked if we had a few other things sorted out but most of the spadework has been done.

“It’s just a matter of finalising things and completing a number of other deals.

“I’m confident we’ll be in a much stronger position come the end of the week.

“I would like it if Sone Aluko and Josh Walker were to return to the club for next season.

“Other than waiting on a decision from their clubs I’d like to think everything will be sorted out before we report back for pre-season.

“However, there’s a chance a lot of the work could be done by Friday.â€

Foran has failed to settle at Southend and was recently loaned out to Darlington.

Ebbe Skovdahl nearly signed the forward in 2001 when he was at Shelbourne before he wrecked the potential move.

Foran broke a curfew while on international duty with the Republic of Ireland under-21 team and Skovdahl pulled out of the deal.

But seven years later Calderwood could make the move happen.

The Dons boss is also running the rule over three trialists as his hunt for fresh talent moves into overdrive.

Dutch duo Iwan Redan and Zephaniah Davids along with French keeper Bertrand Bossu all arrived at the club last week.

All three have impressed so far and will remain with the Reds until Wednesday.

Redan is a striker who was once hailed as one of the best young talents to emerge from Dutch football in years.

Davids, who is related to the great Edgar, is a left sided defender and has been released by Feyenoord.

Bossu is a giant keeper who has spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues in England.