🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Festivals

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

How did you get on at Rockness?

Aye it was good and we were quite lucky with the weather considering the rest of the country got plenty rain that weekend. Kasabian were amazing live once again on the Friday and saw a few other bands who were all good. Saturday turned a wee bit messy and ended up with the Chemical brothers who played a great set. Sunday was also decent, lots of time spent in the Bacardi bar getting free pina colada slush puppies from my mate who knew the bar staff. Ended up going with everyone else to watch Paulo Nutini - was better than I thought it would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to SW4 (South West Four) in Clapham Common yesterday. Decent day for it and a good line up. Only gripe with it was that the soundsystems seemed to be pretty quiet. Probably due to the location of the festival, but I don't see the point in having a quiet festival.

Slam, Adam Beyer and Ben Sims were awesome. Richie Hawtin was gash :(

• 2 weeks later...

you got yourself a costume for it? I've always wanted to go to bestival, quite a unique festival.

I didn't bother but probably about half the crowd were in fancy dress on the Saturday and there were some excellent efforts which added a lot to the atmosphere.

Here's a review I posted on another website...

That was my first Bestival and thought it was brilliant, probably the best festival I've been to.  I found it a lot more manageable compared to Glastonbury - there was heaps of stuff to do in the small hours but without the queues and massive crowds flocking to everything at Glastonbury.

Only downside for me was the price of drink, it's really expensive.  I didn't drink any cans from the bars (I was mainly on the Bestivale) but I can't see how they can justify £4 for a can, that's outrageous.  I think that's the most money I've ever spent at a festival which is disappointing.

Musical highlights: Primal Scream (amazing light show!), Crystal Castles, Public Enemy, Hercules & Love Affair were the top of the pile for me.  The Cure were also good but I felt the 2.5 hours was a tad long for a festival headliner as it was clearly a set for the purists.  Kelis surprised me as I only went along to see her cleavage!  GLC were a good laugh.

Musical disappointments: Bjork (ridiculously self indulgent nonsense for a festival headliner - and I like quite a few of her songs), Cut Copy (I expected more perhaps because I had very high expectations), Sneaky Sound System (a poor shadow of what they were at Rockness a couple of years ago - I was kicking myself for not going to see ADF instead!).

Other highlights: Some great food, lovely atmosphere, so many nice people, the blue campsite, Sailor Jerrys (how strong were their Mojitos!), the fancy dress outfits (some brilliant efforts which added so much to Saturday), Swamp Shack, the area near the bandstand (just wonderful), cocktails, Bestivale, Comedy tent, Wall of Death (lunatics).

Bestival is probably the benchmark that other festivals should be following in the UK.  The sheer amount of stuff to do is very impressive.  I'll definitely be back!