Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Restaurants recommended

I think this may be the place that won a big U.K. wide award recently, the place owned by the same guy who has the Light of Bengal. So it doesn't surprise me that it's good. There's nothing else that could attract me to Inverurie so must pay a visit sometime.

I think you're right about the award. Only complaint would have been that the front door of the restaurant was open continually due to the volume of customers picking up takeaway, so when booking a table maybe request one through the back of the restaurant - especially if it's a Friday or Saturday evening.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two northern Irish ones, both of quality but different ends of the scale in terms of audience.

Neptune and prawn in Portrush, very relaxed and we'll organised. Menu was a bit all over the place but the food was great. Can't book tables, first come first serve and you can wait in the cocktail bar upstairs which overlooks the harbour.

SAPHYRE, in Belfast, weirdly located in amongst student central in an old church. Really good food and service. The tasting menu was worth it. Definitely not cheap but I did think it was worthwhile.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

We were speaking about Cafe Cognito in another thread, in St Swithin Street.

On the other side of the road, at the junction with Hartington Road is a new cafe and in my opinion, far superior. Soups, toasties cakes etc. so nuthin funcy but nuthin funcy aboot the prices either. Great space, plenty of room and light. Coppa, it's called. Recommend.

Has it changed its name/owner? Go in quite regularly, but have never noticed its name. It's good like. Marginal between there and Cognito, both decent.

Ferryhill hoose recently. Dire. Service pish and food average at best. Busy though.

Edit: went to Coppa at lunch time, seconded, was nice. Sat ootside, cracking day for it. Is the owner the manny that used to own Awakening Restorations in Torry? Used to be a great place for doors.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Miller & Carter last week. They were having a "soft opening" so the food was half price and it was excellent. I'll definitely go back even though it will be full price. Proper steak restaurant in Aberdeen finally. Knowledgeable waiting staff and very good chefs. Do yourself a favour and let the chef cook the steaks as he'd have them himself. You can't go wrong. If you like your steaks well done then gtf and don't bother.  :wave:

Went to Miller & Carter last week. They were having a "soft opening" so the food was half price and it was excellent. I'll definitely go back even though it will be full price. Proper steak restaurant in Aberdeen finally. Knowledgeable waiting staff and very good chefs. Do yourself a favour and let the chef cook the steaks as he'd have them himself. You can't go wrong. If you like your steaks well done then gtf and don't bother.  :wave:

I’ve been to their Reading branch. Agreed, for a chain it was surprisingly very good.

• 3 months later...

Disappointing to hear about Jewel in the Crown.Was always one of the better ones.Last time we were in,(after recommendations about 3 years ago),we all thought it was great.Shame if its going downhill

Staying on Crown St,is that Shanghai restaurant actually open for business? Maybe need to look at their image consultant if it is  :confused:

Will hae a run out to Echt Tandoori and report back,driven past too many times

Echt WILL be good. They do it different. Many dishes on the menu are ones we've not heard of before. Their reputation preceded them and it was thoroughly deserved. Will definitely be back and next time, we will choose to go there rather than just passing.

The Jewel has consistently had a great reputation for decades. Having heard from someone a couple of weeks ago that they had a great meal there, we realised we hadn't been for years. Unfortunately all four of us didn't think the main courses were any good but their naans were the best.

We are visiting our favourite restaurant on the planet early September, in Lausanne. In Geneva and surrounds, like most places (Aberdeen excluded) you have to be good to survive let alone thrive. It's already going to be the highlight of the week despite going to Crans Montana for the first time. There is great joy in great food in great ambience being delivered with great service. My parents' generation never got that. Good job the old fuckers are dying out.

New Indian tonight. Carron to Mumbai, I think it's called. Friends of ours went last Saturday and raved about it. It's the Art Deco place in Stoney. They've done a fantastic job with the building interior. But we should judge on product and service as well as environment.

The starters were awesome. The menu is unique. The wife thought her monkfish was the best curry she's ever had. My lamb was ok. Will give it another go, no doubt after the wife's been there half a dozen times before. If you don't mind trying something different, I recommend. Haven't dined out for Indian more than once this year until twice in the last week. Need Light of Bengal next time to get some sense and sensibility injected within.

• 3 months later...

If any of you live in Aberdeen and have not been here, you don't have any valid excuse.

http://www.yorokobibycj.co.uk

Cos I've just telt ye.

We never knew Japanese food until a couple of years ago. My mate opened Kazoku in St Andrews and it was a revelation. My wife and I eat Japanese everywhere we go now. Tonight was our very first takeaway, from Huntly Street and our first ever fusion roll (Salmon Special). After that and our standard Tuna & Salmon Sashami (awesome anywhere), I didn't even try the main course. That can keep until tomorrow.

Get into the wasabi and sake masters. It's the best.

• 1 month later...

Surely that's just a quantity thing though? We have some very good restaurants in Aberdeen. How many do you need?

More options are always welcome aye but I really need a Fazenda up here. We had Tropeiro and Hey Brazil but compared to Fazenda they were both shyte.  :hammer:

Yatai, Moonfish, Food Story, Yorokobi, Light of Bengal, Shri Bheema, Goulash, the Chester, Musa, Bistro Verde, Atlantis (Mariner), Da Vinci, Cafe 52

Probably others. The first few being top class.

Different Strokes, different folks.

Yatai - totally average

Moonfish - never fancied the menu

Food Story - Don't know it, thanks for the rec.

Yorokobi - outstanding for starters but disappointing mains. We only get takeaway sashimi and roils now

Light of Bengal - superb

Shri Bheema - that reminds me, it's been highly recommended by others, must try

Goulash - never been, dinna fancy it... unless donsdaft says its great

Chester - been twice, it's ok at best

Musa - never fancied the menu

Bistro Verde - had both good and bad in there, won't go back, stuffy service

Atlantis - wife been with her mates a few times and rates it, I've not been

Da Vinci - Don't know it, thanks for the rec.

Cafe 52 - never fancied it and nobody's been shouting to me about it before so never been

The Italian on Huntly Street has great chefs but the limited menu and the meh ambience doesn't attract. What we don't have is magic, somewhere consistently really superb where you can go for a special occasion, unlike bigger cities. The Silver Darling was outstanding once upon a time, Carmines is superb but serves a different purpose and the chains are mostly acceptable without being anything other than what they are. For me, some of the best food in the city are all in the New Market, the two Thais and the revamped Hong Kong cafe but again, they're not for special occasions.

I think Yatai is excellent, I'm surprised you don't like it, it'd probably be my go to for good food that is at least original and consistent. Agree regarding Chester, but other folk have been happy with it so I thought it must be me. Anyway, Tyrant was suggesting some all you can eat meat place, which is probably for fat people, so I reckon my list would be better than thon pish  :thumbsup:. Never seen the enjoyment in eating shite loads of just meat. Much prefer more original stuff being done with veggies and spices and the like - far more challenging cook. The point I was making though was that there were plenty of good restaurants, with good being at yer Shay Logan level, rather than necessarily Scott McKenna. 

I think the thread about the Livingston is definitely the place for this discussion too!

I think Yatai is excellent, I'm surprised you don't like it, it'd probably be my go to for good food that is at least original and consistent. Agree regarding Chester, but other folk have been happy with it so I thought it must be me. Anyway, Tyrant was suggesting some all you can eat meat place, which is probably for fat people, so I reckon my list would be better than thon pish  :thumbsup:. Never seen the enjoyment in eating shite loads of just meat. Much prefer more original stuff being done with veggies and spices and the like - far more challenging cook. The point I was making though was that there were plenty of good restaurants, with good being at yer Shay Logan level, rather than necessarily Scott McKenna. 

I think the thread about the Livingston is definitely the place for this discussion too!

Strange comment!  ??? I dare say the purpose isn't necessarily to "eat shite loads of just meat" although this is undeniably possible. I can tell from this comment that you've never been. I recommend it. Unless you're vegetarian. There's more than just meat on offer. Lots of Tapas style dishes too. But the difference between Fazenda and the comparable places in Aberdeen is the quality. The aim is probably to be able to enjoy all the different cuts and types of meat on offer. Before I went when I was looking at the menu I was reading it wondering how I was going to decide what to have. Then when I arrived and was seated I realised I could try it all. And try it all I did. Happy days.

Rest assured that I will move this discussion to the appropriate thread in Off Topic.

• 1 month later...

Nae quite restaurants per se,but a couple of good eateries.Have only been in the Sitting room,Portlethen for coffees/breakfasts,but we went in after the fitba for a sit down meal. Good food,clean environment,friendly,chatty atmosphere,and able to have a beer/wine at the table.One of the best/biggest bits of fish Ive had

Have driven past Lil C's near Oyne many times without knowing it was there.There today after a walk up Dunnydeer hill(the one with the stone archway on the summit.fine wee viewpoint, - one for sunset).Again,not haute cuisine,but good food,good atmosphere,clean and modern