Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen - Kairat Almaty - 06/08/15 - 19:45 SOLD OUT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said to Manc even before Taylor got to the ball he was going to do

Something stupid, all he had to do was shepherd the ball out.

Saying that I remain to be convinced by ward, parried the ball right into the path of their star striker. Something not even brown/langfield would have done. Not that I'm denying ward isn't better than both options but it was a shocking mistake.

At the end of the day we were the better team for 60 mins and had them rattled at the end. Shame we couldn't get that second goal.

as a positive that's the best game I've seen Jack have in an Aberdeen shirt, thought he was superb.

I said to Manc even before Taylor got to the ball he was going to do

Something stupid, all he had to do was shepherd the ball out.

Saying that I remain to be convinced by ward, parried the ball right into the path of their star striker. Something not even brown/langfield would have done. Not that I'm denying ward isn't better than both options but it was a shocking mistake.

At the end of the day we were the better team for 60 mins and had them rattled at the end. Shame we couldn't get that second goal.

as a positive that's the best game I've seen Jack have in an Aberdeen shirt, thought he was superb.

He does that pretty much every game..............

Hard one to take. I dinna think they were as good as Gronigen or Rejika. At least losing to Sociedad we were clearly out gunned. Overall from the two legs I think Mcinnes was our weakest link rather than individual player errors.

I think he started with the wrong formation in Kazakhstan which resulted in their two goal head start. Losing battle from there. I'd not have started Goodwillie tonight. We needed a goal and we had our near 30 goal a season striker on the bench. Goodwillie has his merits and to be fair he's shown more in his last 6 weeks than the previous 12 months but I think Rooney would have given more tonight.

I agree that Logan was uncharacteristically out of sorts but I also thought Hayes failed to deliver.

I thought Jack and McLean were fantastic but we failed to capitalise on long spells of possession. Indeed, despite our late pressure and one good save in particular, their keeper was rarely tested.

I said post United that Ward was a concern for me. Shots from distance seem to be spilled (or go in) and we either need to coach that out of him or protect him better. Every game now he's spilled into his box or been beaten by a drive from distance. He's not without his merits obviously but I felt he was more culpable than Taylor tonight.

The crowd were immense. They deserved a bit of luck but sadly it wasn't to be.

I think Kairat will struggle to progress much further. They've a couple of players of real quality but I think we gave them a little too much respect. I've no doubt McInnes will learn from this experience though. He's been vital for us and he's been instrumental in our change of fortune but he is still a young manager himself with relatively little European experience. It's a learning curve for him as well as the players.

We really need another goal scorer if we're to kick on. I hope we can get one in sooner rather than later. Get May in for Sunday. ;-)

Hard one to take. I dinna think they were as good as Gronigen or Rejika. At least losing to Sociedad we were clearly out gunned. Overall from the two legs I think Mcinnes was our weakest link rather than individual player errors.

I think he started with the wrong formation in Kazakhstan which resulted in their two goal head start. Losing battle from there. I'd not have started Goodwillie tonight. We needed a goal and we had our near 30 goal a season striker on the bench. Goodwillie has his merits and to be fair he's shown more in his last 6 weeks than the previous 12 months but I think Rooney would have given more tonight.

I agree that Logan was uncharacteristically out of sorts but I also thought Hayes failed to deliver.

I thought Jack and McLean were fantastic but we failed to capitalise on long spells of possession. Indeed, despite our late pressure and one good save in particular, their keeper was rarely tested.

I said post United that Ward was a concern for me. Shots from distance seem to be spilled (or go in) and we either need to coach that out of him or protect him better. Every game now he's spilled into his box or been beaten by a drive from distance. He's not without his merits obviously but I felt he was more culpable than Taylor tonight.

The crowd were immense. They deserved a bit of luck but sadly it wasn't to be.

I think Kairat will struggle to progress much further. They've a couple of players of real quality but I think we gave them a little too much respect. I've no doubt McInnes will learn from this experience though. He's been vital for us and he's been instrumental in our change of fortune but he is still a young manager himself with relatively little European experience. It's a learning curve for him as well as the players.

We really need another goal scorer if we're to kick on. I hope we can get one in sooner rather than later. Get May in for Sunday. ;-)

I genuinely think that goodwillie is the only striker we could have started with tonight, I'm a huge Rooney fan but he just doesn't hold the ball up enough compared to goodwillie and that's vital in these sort of games. Saying that Rooney should have been on earlier.

I also disagree with the McInnes being the weak link part, for once his subs actually worked, the weak link was Taylor without a shadow of a doubt and that will be the case until we replace him

I genuinely think that goodwillie is the only striker we could have started with tonight, I'm a huge Rooney fan but he just doesn't hold the ball up enough compared to goodwillie and that's vital in these sort of games. Saying that Rooney should have been on earlier.

I also disagree with the McInnes being the weak link part, for once his subs actually worked, the week link was Taylor without a shadow of a doubt and that will be the case until we replace him

Goodwillie may hold the ball up but well but he simply does not look like scoring which for a striker is a major problem. Rooney should have started tonight. He would have been far more likely to get us the early goal we needed.

The error from Ward had been coming. He has made similar mistakes in other games but has got lucky when opposition have not followed shots in. Tonight they did and we were punished.

I just do not get why Taylor is such a favourite with the fans when he is an accident waiting to happen. He is constantly out of position and making the wrong decisions. He was at least as culpable for the goal as Ward.

Gutted to be out as they were not a particularly good team. We just got our tactics wrong in the first game and individual errors cost us tonight.

Gutted to be out and it a tough pill to swallow but we will dust ourselves off and get on with domestic business.

I thought we practically dominated the game last night. Their goal in my opinion should not have stood, I thought there was a foul throw and then a freekick to us leading up to it but maybe I am wrong.

I certainly wont point fingers to individuals in the team of this one. Could Ward have parried the ball out?? Maybe but I personally thought he did well to get his fingers to the first strike on goal. Can you blame Taylor, well possibly but at the same time he made some great challenges last night as well and was getting stuck in to them when McInnes switched him to play upfront.

One thing I though let us down was our final ball into the box. Whether it was a cross or from a deadball situation our final ball was shocking, something that definitely needs worked on.

If I was critical of his tactics, particularly in the first leg, I've got to also praise McInnes for his post match, public comments.

I think these are really positive, despite the obvious frustration.

I hope it's reflected on Sunday and hope we get another decent crowd out to continue the fine support we saw last night:

"The pleasing thing for me is the nature of the game. It was clear that we were a team that was hell bent of getting on top of them. The intensity of our play was excellent in terms of winning the ball back, moving the ball quickly and the players deserve a lot of credit for that.

"Despite them being well into their campaign, I felt they were flagging. They had a few bookings and a few lazy challenges and were finding it difficult to cope. Prior to the game, I thought privately that the goal had to come in the first half and with the way the team was set-up, that first goal was all important.

"They used their counter-attacking threat in the second half to cause us a few moments of anxiety and then we got caught running with the ball in the wrong area and they took advantage of that and it made the task even more difficult.

"From then on in, with people stopping the play and players going down with injuries, they tried to take the sting out of the game and it was difficult for us to keep generating that intensity but I still felt if we got the equaliser, that second goal would come. Unfortunately, we ran out of time.

"While we are disappointed, there is still a lot of pride as I feel that the team is improving and the fact that 20,000+ stayed and applauded at the end of the game is recognition of the players' efforts. We lacked a bit of quality in the final third at times but for effort, determination and intelligence of play, we were excellent.

"The determination is there and we have got so much going for us. We have got a great dressing room to manage and have a good squad of players that make me feel confident about the rest of the season.

"Determination has never been a failing and the supporters see that. They are not daft, they seen a team that was hell bent on winning.

"We want to try and get off to a good start in our league campaign and we will hope for a similar outcome to the one at Tannadice on Sunday. We will freshen up in certain areas where we feel that it is needed but it is important that we bring an intensity to our play. We want to make sure that we respond by winning on Sunday.

"We congratulate Almaty, they are a good side, but we are disappointed."

Read that on the flight back this morning, good read.  Can't really fault what he's said.

The problems we all discussed over the summer were on evidence last night. We need to be more incisive and clinical which incidentally are the two positions which we need to strengthen, midfield and striker. Asap.

I'd also like to say, the only difference between the previous games this season and last night was that Quinn was not there to protect Ward. I've noticed on a few occasions it has been him who clears up the parries and spills.

Aye we are out but didn't do too badly.  We can concentrate on domestic matters now, I don't think we have a squad capable to playing domestically and in Europe and prefer we concentrate on the leagues and cups.

A good win against Killie on Sunday will help us all forget about last night.

Read that on the flight back this morning, good read.  Can't really fault what he's said.

The problems we all discussed over the summer were on evidence last night. We need to be more incisive and clinical which incidentally are the two positions which we need to strengthen, midfield and striker. Asap.

I'd also like to say, the only difference between the previous games this season and last night was that Quinn was not there to protect Ward. I've noticed on a few occasions it has been him who clears up the parries and spills.

Quinn absolutely has to come in for Taylor at the weekend, no question about it!

Ach well.

The great thing is, I have no doubts we'll be in Europe for the third year running next season.

That's fecking brilliant.

A long season ahead but I'm very confident of 2nd and hopefully a bit of silverware.

I'd like to think so anyway!  :thumbsup: