Author Topic: January window  (Read 20797 times)

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
Re: January window
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
If and when we do sell McKenna I would be looking at Kerr or Shagnasty from Saints as his replacement.

Joe out of contract in the summer apparently.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
  • Rating: 10
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »
Think the lad Kerr at Dundee is a good player, would be happy with him, attacking midfielder & striker.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 112
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
Where did thon gambling addict end up that resurrected is career at Dundee and played really well as far as I remember. Was it Caulker?

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
Yep Steven Caulker. For some reason triggered a release clause in his contract on deadline day back in August but remains without a club. Supposedly back in April Dundee threw out what would have been a record transfer fee received from Rosenborg. Bet they wish they'd cashed in now.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 112
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Yep Steven Caulker. For some reason triggered a release clause in his contract on deadline day back in August but remains without a club. Supposedly back in April Dundee threw out what would have been a record transfer fee received from Rosenborg. Bet they wish they'd cashed in now.

If we cash in on McKenna Caulker would be a good replacement IMO. Nae convinced he'll come back up the road. Sounds like he didn't enjoy being very far up north in Great Britain.  ::)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »
Has a Scottish granny and could still play for Scotland as his 1 England cap was in a friendly. He did look decent at Dundee but think he's got a whole cupboard full of personal issues that would put DM off. I wouldn't mind the boy Kerr from Dundee as a replacement if/when McKenna gets flogged to the highest bidder.

You would have to think Reynolds would get released in summer at the end of his contract. Shaughnessy would be decent cover and relatively cheap but doubt he'd come back unless he was first choice.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
Caulker would be a no from me. Not doubting his ability but as TC has already said carries too much baggage.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
Interesting article in the EE about DM and our misfiring strikers. Cosgrove has scored 2, as has Wilson and Anderson, with May have just the one. However, I don't recall these guys missing a ton of chances. Given the fact that much of their service has been long high ball and chase, far from ideal. You can argue they don't make the runs or aren't in the right place at the right time.....although I don't think Anderson has been given a real chance yet......but my issue is our midfield. We need a center mid to dictate games and create, and that is my number one priority if we sign in the January window. We're so weak in center mid that that is where my money would go first.

Doesn't appear Dylan McGeouch is killing it at Sunderland, worth a look??

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
McGeouch is supposedly on £8k/week down there so it would need to be heavily subsidised to start with. But I doubt Sunderland nor the player himself would be ready to give up on it down there just yet and anyway to my mind is too similar in style to Shinnie/Ball/ Gleeson/Ferguson. It's more a right winger/wing back we require......Chris Cadden would be my choice but even that comes second to getting in a proper number 10.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 10
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »
Interesting article in the EE about DM and our misfiring strikers. Cosgrove has scored 2, as has Wilson and Anderson, with May have just the one. However, I don't recall these guys missing a ton of chances. Given the fact that much of their service has been long high ball and chase, far from ideal. You can argue they don't make the runs or aren't in the right place at the right time.....although I don't think Anderson has been given a real chance yet......but my issue is our midfield. We need a center mid to dictate games and create, and that is my number one priority if we sign in the January window. We're so weak in center mid that that is where my money would go first.

Doesn't appear Dylan McGeouch is killing it at Sunderland, worth a look??

Agree in general here, I think Anderson would thrive with a partner, but I don't think he's ready to play the Lone Striker yet. McLennan played up front with Anderson in the Reserves, both scored for fun, mainly Anderson, as he's clearly a natural finisher.

But you are correct, it is how we are set up that is affecting our Strikers, May had MacLean with him at St Johnstone and was more useful, but his time here has been utterly abysmal because he's chasing long balls into channels which is taking him away from the penalty box, but it's got to the stage with him that he doesn't back himself to score now, his confidence is gone for me and he's our " least likely to score " Striker if that makes sense. None of us really know anything about Wilson, he's shown brief flashes of brilliance, but nowhere near enough and I think he's accepted his career is probably in decline and that he won't be staying at Man U when his contract expires. Cosgrove is just a lump, he's decent at taking the ball in and involving those around him, but he's not a Lone Striker either, and again, not sure he backs himself in front of goal either.

If I was McInnes and I was trying to make us more of a threat in and around the box, I'd play 2 Strikers, Cosgrove and Anderson. In my opinion, they would compliment each other quite well.
They will never forget you till somebody new comes along.

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 48
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
Said it elsewhere but I think we should be trying to get Allan of Celtic.  What we lack is guile in the final third, he would provide that more than adequately and it would transform our team imo.  Since Christie and Maclean left we don't really have a central player who can comfortably take the ball with players around them let alone able to find a ball forward. Bar Cosgrove our striking options are all guys who want the ball into feet/on the deck into space whilst playing off the defenders shoulder.  Quite simply we don't have anyone to pick those kind of passes at the moment and that's why we ain't scoring much.  In fairness to Mcinnes I think that's why he signed forrester but himself and gleeson just don't look up to it and he has to take responsibility for that.
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »
Said it elsewhere but I think we should be trying to get Allan of Celtic.  What we lack is guile in the final third, he would provide that more than adequately and it would transform our team imo.  Since Christie and Maclean left we don't really have a central player who can comfortably take the ball with players around them let alone able to find a ball forward. Bar Cosgrove our striking options are all guys who want the ball into feet/on the deck into space whilst playing off the defenders shoulder.  Quite simply we don't have anyone to pick those kind of passes at the moment and that's why we ain't scoring much.  In fairness to Mcinnes I think that's why he signed forrester but himself and gleeson just don't look up to it and he has to take responsibility for that.

Yup, I'd take Allan and McGeouch. I totally think we missed the boat on Stevie Mallan and need to snap up McGeouch, and likewise I think we missed the boat on Ryan Christie - I do think we could have gotten him if we really tried, financial risk I know, but he'd have been worth it. Both Mallan and Christie, in my eyes, represent our clubs ambition. We chose to go the Gleeson and Forrester route instead....

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
Yup, I'd take Allan and McGeouch. I totally think we missed the boat on Stevie Mallan and need to snap up McGeouch, and likewise I think we missed the boat on Ryan Christie - I do think we could have gotten him if we really tried, financial risk I know, but he'd have been worth it. Both Mallan and Christie, in my eyes, represent our clubs ambition. We chose to go the Gleeson and Forrester route instead....

The story goes that we had a deal agreed with Christie but when Celtic failed to get John McGinn they called the Christie deal off. Zero chance of getting him now that’s he’s doing well at the tims and signed a new deal.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
The story goes that we had a deal agreed with Christie but when Celtic failed to get John McGinn they called the Christie deal off. Zero chance of getting him now that’s he’s doing well at the tims and signed a new deal.

Yep heard similar. That boat has well and truely sailed now so onto new targets.
I assume that that we have some  ;)
Steve warm his seat up

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -115
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
if mcgeoch is on 8k per week then take money of our highest paid director who is 6-7k per week....
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2018, 04:41:16 PM »
I would agree Mcgeoch would be worth pursuing if shinnie is off ski but at the moment I don't think we need another b2b midfield.  We need creativity which, fine player that he is, Mcgeoch would not bring.

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
I would agree Mcgeoch would be worth pursuing if shinnie is off ski but at the moment I don't think we need another b2b midfield.  We need creativity which, fine player that he is, Mcgeoch would not bring.

I'm asking for McGeoch and Allan, replacing Ball and allowing those two plus Shinnie and Ferguson to rotate.....on the assumption Shinnie were to stay. Funded by the punting of Gleeson, Forrester, Ball, and Tansey.

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »
I love your optimism but punt them to whom?  Ball you can just cancel the loan but the rest are under contract though I think Tansley only has 6 months left 2bf.
I can't see anyone prepared to take over forrester and gleesons contracts let alone buy them and it would cost a fair bit to release them.

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
I love your optimism but punt them to whom?  Ball you can just cancel the loan but the rest are under contract though I think Tansley only has 6 months left 2bf.
I can't see anyone prepared to take over forrester and gleesons contracts let alone buy them and it would cost a fair bit to release them.

I'd rather write that than funded by the sales of Shinnie, McKenna, and/or Lewis....

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -985
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
Never been that impressed with McGeouch, and I certainly wouldn't be throwing a massive contract at him.