Author Topic: The Hills and Outdoors thread  (Read 13880 times)

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 22
Re: The Hills and Outdoors thread
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
 Rico's nailed it.I would say the posh bit of "P",but I dont think there is one.Should really be Grampiandon these days
  You'll maybe recognise the Barmekin summit GG.This little temptress was waiting for me a couple of weeks ago  8)

Havnt been round too many of the local woodland walks,but theres more at Maryculter,Durris and Dunnottar woods

Kowalski -  Forgot about this beauty,the Kintail way http://www.affrickintailway.com/  Done some sections of it,prime Mountain country in there, with some bothies along the way.
  Its a bit more fun plotting your own route if you know where the bothies are https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

Others not done - Cowal way,Kintyre way,Dava way,East highland way,East coast to West coast(Aberdeen to Knoydart)

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -16
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2018, 07:14:11 AM »
Cheers man  :thumbsup:

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 14
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
You'll be steaming across to work in ten minutes next week with the bypass opening then?

Although, there is no connection with the airse end of Badentoy though, is there? A straight route into Portlethen from the road wid have made sense. Off at Altens and straight into Hillside I suppose? I'm sure there's a thread for this somewhere...
Aye, I'll be testing the various options, go to Westhill then across to Chareleston flyover, or get on at top of Milltimber brae and repeat, or maybe continue taking the Blairs back road whic hshould have less traffic.

What really needs to happen is the spur at the top of badentoy north along from DPD warehouse gets opened onto schoolhill road, would save a 2.5mile trip round Portlethen. Pish at min.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »
  A cracking day on the 2 Easain Munros near Laggan on Xmas eve.

A couple of smaller Deeside hills for anyone bored,or to walk off some post Tim frustration.Both with less ascent than Bennachie,good views over to Lochnagar.No snow at that level

Auchtavan,Aberarder  -   http://www.auchtavan.com/home/plan-your-visit/

Pressendye,Tarland  -  https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/pressendye.shtml
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:10:46 PM by Elgindon »

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 14
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »
Great info ED min.

Was up Barmekin Hill at weekend, first time since very early secondary school days I think  :thumbsup:

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »
 Nae probs min.The fort on Tap o Noth has an information board at the foot of the hill,but nothing at Barmekin.Some good info here https://canmore.org.uk/site/18522/barmekin-of-echt

Managed up 11 munros over the festive season in between family visits.Couple of very good days...

Couple of atmospheric ones

A fair few drizzle and fog days

160 done,122 to go   :confused: Race against time before the legs buckle up

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:28:50 PM by Elgindon »

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
 Lots of snow about now.Was up Sgurr Ruadh last W/E at Achnashellach.One of the roughest hills weve ever walked made worse by not knowing what your feet were going into....

..Wouldnt recommend it for a climb,but a superb viewpoint at the end.

Glen Tanars a fine introductory place for low and mid level walks like this one https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/glen-tanar-riverside.shtml

A wee route(need an OS map) we did a couple of years back was to - park at the Bridge of Ess beside the entrance to Glen Tanar ,and follow the track going south from the East end of the bridge thru the trees, follow it over the hills Duchery Beg,Baudy Meg and back down via Black Craig and Red Craig to Bridge of Ess.Good track all the way,pines,river and good views of the Gorms in snow

Webcam for conditions at the Braemar snow gate http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:24:11 PM by Elgindon »

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -156
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »
Always love your pics and recommendations Elgin.

Question for you.

What are the best brands for keeping warm and/or dry?

I love my Arc'teryx Gore Tex shell but only need it if it's pissing down, so mostly worn when working but it's not a warmth provider. I can't buy North Face as it's too voluminous and I can't wear what most cunts do so I don't care how good or otherwise it might be. Probably can't buy Rab for the same reason. Don't like the look of Mountain Equipment jackets but will be interested to know what you pros wear?
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »
 Were dont like anything too heavy to avoid over warming,mainly looking for wind and rain proof,so I'm not sure warmth wise TBH.I wear a Berghaus Goretex shell,and John the other guy,a Geo Technology Norway jacket but they fairly keep out the wind and rain,supplemented by wearing a few layers beneath,and thats done the job so far.That above hill was about -3,but the jackets were off after an hour when the sun got up.Rabs a name I hear time and again for winter walks along with these type jackets for warmth https://www.trekitt.co.uk/32691/products/mountain-equipment-mens-lightline-jacket-black.aspx?currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjt_H0cmO4AIVRbTtCh2DPg_HEAQYBSABEgIqcPD_BwE

EDIT  -   -12 on the tops this W/E.See how the gear copes with that..

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:39:12 PM by Elgindon »

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
  • Rating: 27
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »
I hate this fucking thread... It always makes me homesick.  :'(

Brilliant pictures though.  :thumbsup:
“Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?”

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2019, 12:32:41 AM »

Move to NZ, you'll be covered ;)

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2019, 12:40:04 AM »
Me in May 1986 on top of Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir in the Cairngorms. I was only 13.  :laughing:
It was not the most exciting mountain that I ever have done...

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:56 AM »

:laughing:

Yin and Yang. I was in Oz for 3 years, two of our daughters were born in Melbourne and I loved the weather, the swimming pool in the garden, the BBQ's and the lifestyle. When we got offered citizenship, something out of the blue as it hadn't ever crossed out minds, that forced us to think longer term so we came home.

There are pros and cons. We live in a binge drinking culture and are at risk of being stabbed randomly, probably in the pissing rain on a council-neglected dark street by a loser no-hoper ned who himself has indulged in too much mind and mood-altering substances. So if you want to increase your chances of life, you're in a healthier place.

But nothing in the world could tempt me to live in Australia again. The chances of a random stabbing could increase twenty fold and I'd still choose to live here. Places are about people and the racism, laziness and intellectual retardation in that country made us realise that we weren't bringing up our clan to be Aussies.

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2019, 12:46:27 AM »
Move to NZ, you'll be covered ;)
Australia is funny in that it has no stunning looking mountains. They seem to be all plateau style mountains.
And I hate snakes...

NZ looks stunning and to be truthful, I think half the mountains over there are well out my mountain climbing "skills".  :laughing:

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:47 AM »
:laughing:

Yin and Yang. I was in Oz for 3 years, two of our daughters were born in Melbourne and I loved the weather, the swimming pool in the garden, the BBQ's and the lifestyle. When we got offered citizenship, something out of the blue as it hadn't ever crossed out minds, that forced us to think longer term so we came home.

There are pros and cons. We live in a binge drinking culture and are at risk of being stabbed randomly, probably in the pissing rain on a council-neglected dark street by a loser no-hoper ned who himself has indulged in too much mind and mood-altering substances. So if you want to increase your chances of life, you're in a healthier place.

But nothing in the world could tempt me to live in Australia again. The chances of a random stabbing could increase twenty fold and I'd still choose to live here. Places are about people and the racism, laziness and intellectual retardation in that country made us realise that we weren't bringing up our clan to be Aussies.
Where I live is in regional Queensland. In the 22 years I've lived here, the changes this place has gone through is huge. It's gone from a town to a city in that time. We have had many huge coal mines opened up just out west from here. That has brought in huge amounts of money to this place, which has been good and bad. With more money in the pockets of the miners, the drug problem here has gone through the roof the past 10 years. ICE is the drug that has done the damage. I see cars dumped and burned out by the side of the road. Break-ins have become ten a penny. Australia day holiday was last weekend and that's a day I dread. Far right racist nationalism has increased hugely. I've had insults shouted on Australia day about me not being born in Australia. I had "words" with them. It's not the "lucky country" it was once called. But that's really happening the world over.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2019, 01:20:14 AM »
Sad to hear scotfree. Crystal Meth is an awful thing, fortunately not around when I insisted on trying everything in my long distant youth. So much for renewables. I guess China's growth needs energy and there are always a few with the resources, contacts, guile and sleekitness to turn a buck.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2019, 05:39:59 PM »

Will give the Kagoul/Orange boiler suit combo a try out sometime   :thumbsup:

Heading to the Nevis area this w/e, ....-12oC at the summit forecast   :eek:,  though I caught a peek of Lochnagar fae the Bypass looking inviting with its full covering of snow.Would love a crack at it like that.

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Will give the Kagoul/Orange boiler suit combo a try out sometime   :thumbsup:

Heading to the Nevis area this w/e, ....-12oC at the summit forecast   :eek:,  though I caught a peek of Lochnagar fae the Bypass looking inviting with its full covering of snow.Would love a crack at it like that.

I let you know that that orange boiler suit combo was all the rage in 1986.  ;)
I actually hired the waterproofs and hiking boots from outdoor education at my high school.  :laughing: