Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Hills and Outdoors thread

Elgindon

Come across a few in the hills.Was walking up Glen Ey a few years back and spotted something on the track I was walking on.Got a bit closer and realised it was a curled up Adder.Thought it must be dead since it hadnt moved away.Picked up a bit of gravel and pinged it at it just to make sure,but still no movement.Went up for a closer look,and  it bolted upright at me,before it scurried off into the grass.Nae sure if it was an attempted bite,but it fair left an impression in my underwear

Did all the Arrochar Alps Munros after New Year.Theyre all fine hills with great views(if you block out the glimpses of the Weege),especially to the West.A couple of routes for 2 of them below.

Ben Vorlich  -    Theres a visitor centre at Inveruglas on the edge of Loch lomond.Most folk set off from there,but theres a parking space further West about 1/2 a km on the rhs with space for a few cars as long as you dont block the access

IMG_3023_zpsuby2pyzv.jpg

The track in the foreground^^^is the one you follow round towards the dam at Glen Sloy.Follow the track all the way for about an hour(ignore a track off to the right early on),and you will see the Dam in front of you.The start of the ascent up Ben Vorlich is marked by a cairn,which is situated around 4 pylons back from the dam

IMG_3026_zpsthpbcpv9.jpg

From there up its a fairly steep first half hour before the gradient eases off.Easy to follow path that twists and turns all the way to the summit.Theres a concrete trigpoint which most folk think is the summit,but the true summit is at the cairn further beyond.Took me around 4hrs up and down

The Cobbler -  Park at Succoth car park,on the West side of the village of Arrochar.A well made path starts across the road,and heads up the glen between The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain.Its a busy hill,with all ages heading up.As you look at it from the South its an imposing,rocky, quite intimidating looking hill,but the path up starts at the opposite end on a gentler but still steep ascent

The below photo is from Beinn Narnain looking at the east side of the Cobbler,also a bit off putting from this angle.The approach from Succoth car park is in the glen down below from the left,and the path up starts further along to the right of the photo ,up a gentler grassier, but still steep slope.A toughie with a bit of scrambling at the summit,but great views West down Loch Long

IMG_0474_zpsnuyn3pds.jpg[/url

I worked in the Sugar Cane industry for 8 years and saw fucking loads of them. Amazing animals.... but, no thank you. :cardred:

Fuck that scottfree, am petrified of them,

Was at a rescue Zoo last year, walking thru the pathways, i cought something in the corner of my eye, a fucking albino python, i about turned and ran like fuck the other way.

My wife came after me, asking for ma phone so her and the loons could get photos with it!

I headed for the car

I used to love getting up the hills back home.

The hills they have here in Queensland are a decent size, but I find them rather uninspiring.

Also, I fucking hate snakes.

I mind being by hoover dam and I was walking along the top of the car park wall (not high) and decided to turn back on myself and almost stood on some poisonous snake that had decided to wait to see if I stood on it ( or so it seemed anyway). I like snakes, incredible creatures but scary as hell.

Some awesome photos, Elgin!

• 2 weeks later...

A few Deeside hills of varying degrees of difficulty,all within a few miles of each other

Lochnagar - 1156m    -  Am sure a few guys on here have done this one,but heres an alternative route to make things more interesting.If you click on the link below,and zoom out so you can see Lochnagar(Cac Carn Beag) to your left,and the Spittal of Glenshee car park to your right.Follow the track out of the car park,and over the bridge across the stream to allt-na ghiubhsaich - clais rathadan - up the path skirting Meikle pap,and round to Lochnagar summit at the far end.This is the standard route up and down.

But most folk arent aware theres a wee path down the west side towards Coire na Saoibhaide.From there turn back East along the front of the lochan(easily crossable stream),and aim to rejoin the path inside Meikle pap back to the car park.The path disappears but the walking is reasonable,with a few low rocks to clamber over en route

Lets you get a good look in at the Corrie.Another option is to approach Lochnagar from along the West edge of Loch Muick,up the Glas Allt Sheil to the fine waterfall further up,and then onto the summit.Allow anything from 5-8hrs? depending on options and fitness

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/bingmaps.php?qu=S&rf=457

Carn na Drochaide - 818m  -  ^^^Using the same map as above.type in Carn na Drochaide,and scroll til you have the hill to the left ,and Keiloch car park,Invercauld to your right.This is a smaller,easier hill going by an alternative route to the normal one at Linn of Quoich.Park at the Keiloch car park,and head West along the track towards Altdourie,via Invercauld house.

track on the way to Invercauld house,below

15gw236.jpg

Beyond Altdourie,take the track towards Gleann an t-Slugain.Where it splits in 2,take the left option,and look for the path up Creag a Chleirich.We couldnt find it,but bashed our way up thru the heather.When you get above the tree line,youll find one of the best views down Deeside(and the N/E IMO).Carrying onto the summit of Carn na Drochaide is optional.There is no path,and quite a few false summits en route,but again fine views,this time over to the Cairngorms

Cyclable most of the way to the start of the ascent up Creag A Chleirich.

Track beyond Altdourie(below) a bit rougher

av5y0n.jpg

Meall an Tionail  OS map recommended for this one(use link in Lochnagar description).This hill is just West of Lochnagar.Park at Keiloch car park (between Ballater and Braemar),and head back down to the main road,and cross the old Invercauld bridge

Meall an Tionail in the distance from the bridge, rhs in below photo

IMG_0523_zps9kg9kwfq.jpg

Follow the track and then take the upper track where it splits in 2,aiming for the falls of Garbh allt(worth a look).From there follow the track round and up the Feindallacher burn.A bike can be used all the way up to here,and dropped off at the shelter,situated near the end of the track,where it becomes more a path

Shelter at the end of the track

e9er07.jpg

.From here cut across the stream and moor(a bit rough to start with),and head up Meall an Tionail.

Great views to upper Deeside,and Bheinn A'Bhuird.Return the same way

Balmoral cairns  OS map needed

A couple of low level hills with some historic interest.Did these while waiting for materials for a job at Crathie.There are 5 cairns dating back to the mid 1800s to mark the marriages of various members of the royal family,and also a massive pyramid cairn to mark the death of Prince Albert,by a "broken hearted" Queen Victoria.Easy walking on low level hills,amongst pine forest mixed with some ancient scots pine.

Turned off the A93 at Crathie between Ballater and Braemar,over the river Dee at Balmoral,and parked at the little settlement at Easter balmoral.Theres parking space on the left(east) side of the village as you enter it.

IMG_0665_zpsykgtmapq.jpg

head across the road over the bridge,and take the first track/road on your left,in front of the house ^^^^.OS map needed - This is the start of the track that runs between (on the left),Beatrice and Alberts cairns,and (on the right) Helenas cairn

Helenas cairn

IMG_0612_zpsqysaifzb.jpg

There are paths that weave around the hill,but I headed straight up from the track to Helenas cairn first,and back to the track,same at Alices,and then followed the track over the River Girnock

IMG_0616_zpssqb9yzle.jpg

From there follow the track to the left towards Princess Royals cairn.Its very rough as you look up at the summit from the east,so best to walk beyond the summit and find an easier route up and down from the West side.From there followed the track all the way round til I reached the path that links Prince Albert and Princess Beatrice cairns,and back to the car

IMG_0623_zpsrey0v1nd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went out walking around the surrey hills yesterday, cracking day for it. Probably should have done a bit more research on routes there from Dorking (lovely market town btw) but had assumed that once you get to the station routes would be sign posted, but no.  Managed to find our own way there but the route to the station that we eventually left from wasnt great.  Along roads as all the public footpaths seem to go perpendicular to the way we needed to go.  Forgot to take any pictures, but it wasn't too dissimilar to this:

19463901.jpg

Cracking view from the tower, not too busy despite it being half term.

193791_f1dcfd13.jpg

Had lunch at this pub which I think has had a refurb recently as it wasn't what had been described to me.  Really good food but more of a restaurant than a pub.  think the only way they can call it a pub is that its home to the Leith Hill Brewery (nice ale btw).

IMG_8215.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a walk up Bennachie on Saturday. Lovely weather for it. It's been a few years since I did Bennachie and it was tougher than I remember. I guess it depends on what path you take.

Planning on doing Ben Nevis again at some point this summer. Nae really interested in yer sheer rock face, hard to climb types. I'll stick to the 3 out of 5 difficulty levels.  :wave:

There's a mahoosive snake at the "Pet's" Corner at Hazelhead park. It's got it's ain conservatory that it lives in. Huge. The size of thing that could eat people. Nae me like but normal sized people. Never seen one in the wild. And although I wouldn't say I have a fear of them I'd be happy if it stayed that way.

Re snakes - A high percentage of sightings seem to be on the hills around Ballater for some reason.Seen 3,and theyve all been around there,usually out in the sun curled up.

Bennachie -  Went up it from a busy car park near Pitcaple with my pal and 2 seven year olds.Found the path a bit rough/stony.Think theres a better path,and quieter route from the Oyne car park

Re snakes - A high percentage of sightings seem to be on the hills around Ballater for some reason.Seen 3,and theyve all been around there,usually out in the sun curled up.

Bennachie -  Went up it from a busy car park near Pitcaple with my pal and 2 seven year olds.Found the path a bit rough/stony.Think theres a better path,and quieter route from the Oyne car park

If you take the Mither Tap route (I think it's called that?) it's steep and rocky in places. There is a more family friendly route for you younger eens as you say although I forget what that route is called.

A wee footnote - Oxen craig is actually the true Bennachie summit,which is a few hundred metres to the West of mither tap,and probably easier to get to from the Oyne car park.There is a path over from Mither tap too though 

Therefore, lots of folks would need to re-do it if they want it as a 'bag'      ;)

Just back from Skye over the weekend.Had meant to do more than I did,but an unexpected fall of snow put paid to doing a few more hills.But,did manage to get up Bruach na Frithe,(probably the easiest of the Skye munros),and recommend its ascent if in the area,and the weather is good.The views are simply fantastic.

There are 2 ways up,either by the standard tourist routes,or by following the West ridge up from Glen Brittle.The West ridge is the option I took as follows.

Bruach na Frithe -  Take the road from Sligachan on Skye round to Glen Brittle.As you drive down the Glen Brittle road,there is a car park at the first piece of forestry on your RHS.Park there,cross the road,and follow the path towards the hills,to where it splits in 2.The path on the right takes you to the fairy pools,but take the path to the left.

The Bruach na Frithe ridge is seen left to right,between the paths, in the photo

37085636055_fba5ebd0e6_b.jpgIMG_0899 by [/url], on Flickr

The path takes you past the trees on the left to the dip before the start of the ridge,where there is a cairn near a lochan where you turn right to start up the ridge

36915461322_18149fa772_b.jpgIMG_0904 by , on Flickr

Without giving the views away,and to give an idea of terrain,there is an initial scree slope...

36897251606_75c07e997d_b.jpgIMG_0915 by , on Flickr

...and the below photo gives an idea of the worst bit of exposure(path up to the left).

36250472464_589bb4c6b6_b.jpgIMG_0920 by , on Flickr

The rest is pretty straight forward if that looks bearable.There is a path that carries on beyond the lochan which takes you round to a more gentle ascent up the hill if not.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just back from an overnighter up Deeside,wasnt as sunny as hoped.A hill called Carn na Drochaide is normally done from Allanaquoich,but I tried a route from Invercauld via Aultdourie and Creag a Chleirich,which gave some excellent views down Deeside and across to Lochnagar.

Carn na Drochaide 818m  Par at the Keiloch car park,Invercauld,between Ballater and Braemar.Follow the signs from the car park for 'Linn of Quoich and the Slugain'.There are 2 or 3 of these green metal signs en route,until you come to another split in tracks with a sign saying only 'Linn Of Quoich' to the left.Take this route.The other track goes up Glen Slugain,Follow the track round to the base of Creag A Chlerich/Carn na drochaide.Theres no proper path up from here,but the best views are a short distance above the tree line.Creag a Chlerich not far after,and the summit of Carn na Drochaide around an hour from the track.I walked,but the track from Invercauld to the base of the hill is easily cyclable,though a bit more gravelly further on.good views over to the 'gorms at the summit of Drochaide

vizj5.jpg

ddn7s3.jpg