Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sooo European Football again eh?

As it stands (ignoring the scottish cup final implications)

Dons will be unseeded in 3rd qualifying round of the Conference League (Hearts in same boat)

Current potential teams
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Partizan Belgrade (SER)
AZ Alkmaar (NED)
Arouca (POR)
Hadjuk Split (CRO)

Should Yon Tic manage to overcome the might Caley Dons will be seeded in Pot 1 of the Europa League Playoff 

Current potential teams
Lugano (SUI)

Will avoid Ajax (NED), LASK (AUS), Antwerp (BEL), Cukaricki (SER), and either Dnipro-1 or Zorya Luthansk (UKR)

8d05a946-d24e-48a8-bada-d423b570b4ed.thumb.jpeg.39c59f8110bc1944873e7721bb981a68.jpeg

If Inverness win the cup, the above is the current list of teams we could face (like Hearts and Hibs we'd be unseeded, although we do have a slightly higher coefficient than them, 8.000).

If Celtic win the cup, it's a bit more complicated, but the Here We Go podcast boys have predicted it based on current league tables as:-

IMG_7795.thumb.jpeg.6dd32416ef244e1f479b02cfcf68b98f.jpeg

If you wish to allow yourselves to dream about the group stage, then here are the projected group seedings based on who is likely to qualify, and the favourites all progressing through the qualifying rounds (these will of course change a lot).

We'll likely be in Pot 4 no matter what group stage we went into.

EUROPA LEAGUE

IMG_7794.thumb.png.583e443b66c7f986449b34c9cc514642.png

EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE

IMG_7793.thumb.png.b79d71042c4941f455e598ad21ba4ec0.png

Edited by Panda

Interesting explainer here of how the Europa League play-off would work and possible opponents should it be us in there.

If you don't have time to read that entire thread (it's 17 tweets) then the short version appears to be, if I've read it right, that we'll play one of the teams from priority group 3, all of which I would say are winnable games.

IMG_7893.thumb.jpeg.312cf54977e91245a354edc8335f8982.jpeg

Edited by Panda

18 minutes ago, Panda said:

Interesting explainer here of how the Europa League play-off would work and possible opponents should it be us in there.

If you don't have time to read that entire thread (it's 17 tweets) then the short version appears to be, if I've read it right, that we'll play one of the teams from priority group 3, all of which I would say are winnable games.

IMG_7893.thumb.jpeg.312cf54977e91245a354edc8335f8982.jpeg

Which is as per my original post. Was wondering where you were getting all your scenarios from.
Based in Wikipedia the pontial oppenents are from either Pot 3 or 4. 
Cant say I back the teams chances against Maccabi Haifa, Olympiacos, Slavia Prague or Lugano but who knows

Edited by tom_widdows

1 hour ago, OxfordDon said:

We could be drawn against any team from pot 3 or pot 4, no?

Yeh sorry, the Slavia Prague & Olympiakos threw me off before realising it was the previous round where their ties are pretty much fixed already. 

So aye, could be anyone from pot 3 or 4.

Edited by Panda

It's amazing the lengths that they'll go to, to ensure that the big teams get bigger. What a contrived bunch of shite. Weirdly, the projected examples they give have us playing CSKA Sofia in the playoff round, but in their next tweet, neither qualify for the final 32. They didn't make it completely clear that it was any team in pot 1 that can play any team in pot 4 (rather than the highest seeds getting pot 4 teams), but given the pot 4 teams seem better than pot 3, I'm guessing they couldn't engineer it any further to ensure the biggest team gets in. 

I hope Inverness win tonight to save us from all this shite. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Weirdly, the projected examples they give have us playing CSKA Sofia in the playoff round, but in their next tweet, neither qualify for the final 32.

I don't see CSKA Sofia on that list (they could actually be Bulgarian champions today). 

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:I hope Inverness win tonight to save us from all this shite. 

Inverness v Juventus, while we're sat at home thinking about that defeat to Darvel, is a bleak future.

Although, I do like the thought of Tottenham trying to unveil Ange to a disgruntled support days after he's lost a cup final to Inverness.

2 hours ago, Panda said:

I don't see CSKA Sofia on that list (they could actually be Bulgarian champions today). 

Aye, it's a bit weird, think they've just screwed something up on the fixtures bit. It confused me, which is exceptionally difficult to do.

20230603_125020.jpg

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Inverness v Juventus, while we're sat at home thinking about that defeat to Darvel, is a bleak future.

Although, I do like the thought of Tottenham trying to unveil Ange to a disgruntled support days after he's lost a cup final to Inverness

I think the future of the team in third becoming the new level of scum is quite a bleak future. Getting five or six times the winnings just for finishing a few points ahead of someone is absolutely bollocks and a huge problem for our game. Robson will likely find out the hard way next season when a few of our fifteen signings don't go to plan and we're struggling for third after Christmas. Would love to see Inverness get the windfall just to highlight the stupidity of it.

I hope we get some NEW far flung places to visit. 

I told my Vicar friend Chris (doesn't do football but loves my conversation about Aberdeen FC) who was awfully intrigued at how in the last ten years we've travelled to LAPLAND OFFICAL BIRTHPLACE OF SANTA CLAUS!, Adriatic Coast, war torn Bosnia, Silk Road, San Sebastian, Almaty (which isn't even really Europe being so close to Chinese border!), plus BLOODY BURNLEY! as well as having visits to more traditional cities like Riga, Groningen, Tetovo, Larnaca, Maribor, Reykjavik and Baku.

I finished our chat with Chris by saying the following which got me thinking quite deeply;

"I won't be going to any of these away games but will try my damnedest to make all four guaranteed Pittodrie matches.  I'm just chuffed for the greatest club/supporters in the universe that'll they'll have something to remember in life for watching their team abroad no matter what the final results.  What a way to see a bit of the world by following your footballing heroes around the globe like we have last decade."    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I think the future of the team in third becoming the new level of scum is quite a bleak future. Getting five or six times the winnings just for finishing a few points ahead of someone is absolutely bollocks and a huge problem for our game. Robson will likely find out the hard way next season when a few of our fifteen signings don't go to plan and we're struggling for third after Christmas. Would love to see Inverness get the windfall just to highlight the stupidity of it.

The Tories really have broken you haven't they?

• Haha 1

First European game 24 August. First league game 5 August.

Apart from the covid season, this will be the longest summer without seeing the Dons competitively since McInnes' first season.

No men's World Cup or Euros to keep us going either. 

This is terrible. Maybe we should rethink finishing third in future.

20 minutes ago, Panda said:

First European game 24 August. First league game 5 August.

Apart from the covid season, this will be the longest summer without seeing the Dons competitively since McInnes' first season.

No men's World Cup or Euros to keep us going either. 

This is terrible. Maybe we should rethink finishing third in future.

The Women's World Cup is on from 20 July to 20 August Panda 😉

10 hours ago, Goldie03 said:

The Women's World Cup is on from 20 July to 20 August Panda 😉

Aye but Scotland haven't qualified, and England have a right good chance of winning it, so probably best to pretend that isn't happening.

11 hours ago, Panda said:

Aye but Scotland haven't qualified, and England have a right good chance of winning it, so probably best to pretend that isn't happening.

I saw Scotland play Japan 4 years ago in Rennes 😊

I don't think England will win they have a few injuries to key players!

I was at Wembley when they won the Euros (supporting the Germans of course) so defo do not want them winning again 

26 minutes ago, Goldie03 said:

Bril Manc let me know which teams you see - are you taking the boys? 

Our first attempt at the stadium was a bit of a disaster. One wanted to leave within 15 mins, the other lasted a bit longer. But I had promised flags and there were no flags🤦‍♂️ So will see if we can tempt them again! I'm sure the doughnuts will be sufficient blackmail :D 

16 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Our first attempt at the stadium was a bit of a disaster. One wanted to leave within 15 mins, the other lasted a bit longer. But I had promised flags and there were no flags🤦‍♂️ So will see if we can tempt them again! I'm sure the doughnuts will be sufficient blackmail :D 

You better get some flags in ha 

Mines always just wanted to eat as soon as they arrived!!