Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Arabs vs dons

Lovely goal from McRorie, who's also been pish all game! What's with the immediate sitting in after both goals? We changed to a back three before we scored allowing Duk to push up, but after both goals he's been pulled back into a weird 5-4-1 thing.

1 hour ago, tom_widdows said:

You dont get to see the Dons goals but Gorter's celebrations are worth a watch

Skip to 11:59, 17:38, and 18:04

See the boy trying to get on the pitch after the 3rd! 

My first AFC away game in about 10 years. Maybe I should go more often 😆

Cracking evening.

First half, it looked like Jim Goodwin had, for once, actually thought of some tactics. Perhaps his entire Aberdeen tenure was all about learning how to beat us when he took over his next club.

United played a high defensive line, squeezed our midfield, who all just clumped together with no outlet. At the other end everything went through Fletcher, who thankfully couldn't finish and didn't have anyone capable of playing off him.

That, though, was the height of Goodwin's management skills. Not a bad plan A - but as Robson made changes and was constantly shouting, tinkering, and eventually turned the game in our favour, Goodwin stood with his arms folded and hoped for the best.

Clarkson a massive part of that win tonight. Mackenzie too I thought was excellent, both at left back and then in the back three. Criticism of Shinnie harsh - thought all the midfield struggled in the first half due to the congestion but he was always getting stuck in. 

Support was brilliant tonight, although the stuff thrown at Goodwin was out of order. It went from pantomime booing at the start which Goodwin himself laughed at to things landing next to him. Ryan Duncan too was almost hit by a flare after the first goal. That coupled with there being a bit of trouble outside is why we can't have nice things - it'll just put the brakes on the 6pm kick-offs which, having been at all three Aberdeen/United fixtures this season, I'm a big fan of.

1 hour ago, RedTube said:

See the boy trying to get on the pitch after the 3rd! 

My first AFC away game in about 10 years. Maybe I should go more often 😆

Just back (sort of). Having spent over 50 years in Englandshire, this was my first "away" game, since I came home, when we beat the same team in the Cup semi-final in '67! Thought we were very lucky to be 0-0 at h-t, although we were getting on top for the last 10-15 mins of the half,  Fletcher should had 4 or 5 today (yet he got the MoM! ). Duk was completely anonymous for practically all the game then produces a piece of stunning strength, awareness and cheekiness.  After the pen. I was shouting for McRorie to be subbed off (even if it meant Matt Kennedy would be coming on) 'cos he'll cost us the game and then he pops up for the 2nd (obviously out of position). Then when the subs were announced I thinking "Why bring Watkins on, he never does anything"  and then he scores a superb goal.  So we are all experts! Train back to Aberdeen was bouncing, most of the carriage were, I'd guess, Ultras but great fun...although why sing about Davie Cooper/Bobby Sands? none, absolutely none, will have the first clue about what they are singing about...just sing about us!  like they did with this -  "Duk" Lopez comes from Cape Verde, he gave up the sunshine to play at Pittodrie"

Edited by dons8321

12 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

like they did with this -  "Duk" Lopez comes from Cape Verde, he gave up the sunshine to play at Pittodrie"

I'm gonna need the tune to that.

I didn't hear the ultras at all as I was at the other end (Jerry Kerr) but they looked like they were having fun.

Managed to get most of the game this morning, felt like we were definitely riding Lady Luck in the first half. They should have been streets ahead but somehow, they weren’t. That goal from Duk was sublime, given where we were possession and intensity wise. The team dug deep, subs were well timed and all had positive impacts on the result overall. Happy fucking days! Dons and and nix wins don’t happen very often. If he continues to make the positive progress, would be hard to argue with him (Robson) being given the job permanently. Re: stuff being chucked at Goodwin? Ffs, we’re not huns. Not acceptable behaviour.

love that video of Gorter, Tom! What a shitebag 😂

6 hours ago, BigAl said:

Cheers Tom

Cosgrove  has always been a decent lad with a soft spot for us

Cosgrove is such a closet sheepshagger. I know a few St j fans who have similar leanings, one said to me they  were always grateful to the dons for being able to put utd in their place in the 80s.

I'll say this though re the OP.  I can completely understand where Cowan was coming from and dreaded the worst when they got that pen. 

Edited by tlg1903