Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs Well

10 hours ago, Panda said:

Don't think it'll be going anywhere unfortunately.

They are trialling at the club World Cup having fans at home & in the stadium hear the referee explain why he's changed his mind if VAR intervenes. It's only happened once so far and the ref, who had originally given a penalty, just said "changed to a free-kick and red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity". So not the most detailed explanation, but will be interesting to see how it goes. Dunno if it'll do much to change terrible decisions mind you.

Likewise, rugby referees have been given a directive to speed up play in the Six Nations. Basically been told they should only be using VAR if it's a clear and obvious mistake.

For me, the main gripes are the handball rule, and the offside rule.

That's not really on VAR, it's just spotting it more. Surely we can tell the difference between a deliberate handball that has given the offender an advantage, and it brushing someone's elbow.

Likewise, if someone's knee is offside I really don't care. If it's not an obvious offside, play on.

99% of the time, I know why the referee intervenes, I just don't agree with him doing so, the time it takes and the ruination of the spectacle for the fan in the ground. VAR is for people watching on the telly, and it can only be that. Yesterday's game was just getting quite enjoyable and the ref was doing well until VAR intervened. It took an age to make a decision and the atmosphere and flow was completely lost. There is no version of clear and obvious that will ever, ever work, because clear and obvious can never be defined. I wish people would stop saying derivatives of "if they'd only use it when it's clear and obvious" or "VAR itself isn't the problem, it's the way it's used". Reekie's good suggestion of one challenge per game aside, which I'd be okay with, there is no "version" of VAR that works or will ever work. We have got the system that everyone has. This is it, this is what everyone watching on TV wanted, this is VAR. Football ruining pish, as was in evidence everywhere before it was forced upon the fans of Scottish fitba because our clubs were too spineless to say that it's shite.

The next change that has ruined the game is the increase in subs. Again, it takes absolutely ages to make a sub these days and now that there's 800 per game, you just get bored. I hate injury time subs at the best of times - I think they're an insult to the player - but by the time the Dons decided to do two of them yesterday, I wanted to shoot myself (or maybe just leave). Motherwell made six subs. It's absolutely ridiculous that we can pay millions for a failed video system, but we can't even get a board that allows two or three subs to occur at the same time. One sub comes off. Then the board goes up again. Then the next sub comes off. Then the board goes up again. Then the third sub comes off. Then the opposition makes their sub. It's painful. Have a home and away board with three numbers on it with the numbers of all players coming off (red for home, green for away). Give players thirty seconds to get off the nearest edge and then put up the numbers of the players coming on (which is only for the crowd, but in reality isn't required). Any home and away subs can take place at exactly the same time, no single file bollocks. It's like we're trying to drain any speed or excitement from the game, and having so many subs - usually all in one half - makes for a shite experience in the ground. 

That's basically it, the game is becoming shite.