Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs Well

We have been excellent all over the park here. 

I think I'm sold actually.  We should give Robson and Agnew until the end of the season and if they get us into Europe (which is massively back on the cards if we continue to play like this) they should be serious contenders for the permanent position. 

No idea how we're playing as relying on red Tv commentary today which has consisted of long spells of silence then the co-comms saying "go on, that's it, well done" which isn't the most descriptive commentary I've ever heard.

I had Duk first goal and 3-0 at 50/1 so devastated at the penalty award.

Edited by Panda

14 minutes ago, Panda said:

No idea how we're playing as relying on red Tv commentary today which has consisted of long spells of silence then the co-comms saying "go on, that's it, well done" which isn't the most descriptive commentary I've ever heard.

Unlucky mate

I had 3-1 Aberdeen, more than 2 goals, both teams to score, more than 9 corners and both teams to receive at least at least one card.

Was going to cash out, but we scored again and when it was ruled out, thought fuck it, that was an omen and held my nerve to full time 😉

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

We have been excellent all over the park here. 

Agree to an extent, and don't think we had any failures out there, but Motherwell are absolutely honking, so I think we need to keep this in context.

It is however, without any doubt, a crucial win and a small step in the right direction

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Unlucky mate

I had 3-1 Aberdeen, more than 2 goals, both teams to score, more than 9 corners and both teams to receive at least at least one card.

Was going to cash out, but we scored again and when it was ruled out, thought fuck it, that was an omen and held my nerve to full time 😉

Noice, what odds did you get on that? 

13 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Agree to an extent, and don't think we had any failures out there, but Motherwell are absolutely honking, so I think we need to keep this in context.

It is however, without any doubt, a crucial win and a small step in the right direction

I don't disagree Motherwell are honking but that has nothing to do with the way we applied ourselves. One of the reasons Motherwell were so honking is because we outfought them.  Combine that with how structured the defence looked I would say that's quite a big step forward from where we were against Darvel, hibs and hearts. I certainly don't have the same fear of the San giro next week as I did yesterday 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I don't disagree Motherwell are honking but that has nothing to do with the way we applied ourselves. One of the reasons Motherwell were so honking is because we outfought them.  Combine that with how structured the defence looked I would say that's quite a big step forward from where we were against Darvel, hibs and hearts. I certainly don't have the same fear of the San giro next week as I did yesterday 

Is it possible to disagree but also agree at the same time tlg 🤔

Porkheid in two weeks time is a different matter all together though.

Called for Miovski to be subbed and he scores a double 🙄.

Motherwell may have been crap but they were just the opposition we needed at this time.We got better and the confidence grew as the game went on. Defence looked pretty solid,not sure how signable the new guys might be if they continue to improve? We were doing fine,but what a difference to our attacking threat Coulson made when he came in.Exceptional skills at times.

I would have Duk in the side every week if youve got quick moving/thinking players like Coulson and Clarkson around him.Too many lofty punts to Miovski at times.Happy to have Kennedy as a squad player. Can't fault his effort but we there's usually little end product. Think we can improve in that dept.

Good win though,better than expected crowd,Parkhead may be a bit too soon but main thing is avoid a silly scoreline.

That was a decent performance. It was a good, solid setup, doing the basic things well as tlg says. It was a McInnes like performance that very much suggests to me that Robson is looking for the job permanently. No risks and no experimentation, just remain solid and let the good guys do their thing. If it hadn't been for var trying to suck all enjoyment from football, it'd have been a perfect day. It was an interesting midfield setup from Robson, and it worked well. He kept Clarkson deep and central in a flatish three, with Shinnie and Ramadani expected to do the box to box stuff. It brought Ramadani out of his comfort zone, showing him up a little, whilst forcing him to try things like his eventual great assist for Miovski. Two world class finishes from Bojan today, and that's why the rumours happened when he hit his last run of form. Clarkson's pass for his second was beautiful. Coulson is a delight to watch when he's well protected by a functioning defence, and they were excellent today. I like MacDonald, he was really composed in that three and knew when to punt and when not. Pollock will be a great player. Kennedy did what was asked of him with a lot of hard work. Him and Hayes are the cautious and dependable options as wing backs and, as Elgin says, there's room to improve the right side. I'd even consider giving Richardson a run out just to see if he can learn to run very fast at the touch line and kick it sideways. Just the kicking bit for him to learn. 

Would like to have seen changes but, as I mentioned earlier, I think Robson is playing no risk fitba to win himself the job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Panda said:

You’ll be even more annoyed when you see that Clancy got to see it on the wee telly and still couldn’t get the very clear handball rule correct. 

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Think we the fans need to have a say at the end of the season whether to continue with VAR. Lot a folks must have been put off it by now

Don't think it'll be going anywhere unfortunately.

They are trialling at the club World Cup having fans at home & in the stadium hear the referee explain why he's changed his mind if VAR intervenes. It's only happened once so far and the ref, who had originally given a penalty, just said "changed to a free-kick and red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity". So not the most detailed explanation, but will be interesting to see how it goes. Dunno if it'll do much to change terrible decisions mind you.

Likewise, rugby referees have been given a directive to speed up play in the Six Nations. Basically been told they should only be using VAR if it's a clear and obvious mistake.

For me, the main gripes are the handball rule, and the offside rule.

That's not really on VAR, it's just spotting it more. Surely we can tell the difference between a deliberate handball that has given the offender an advantage, and it brushing someone's elbow.

Likewise, if someone's knee is offside I really don't care. If it's not an obvious offside, play on.

TMOs has ruined rugby. It is used really well in Rugby League, where it is used sparingly and only really to spot if its a try or not. Ontop of that, both teams have one "captains call" where the team captain can ask the ref to review the footage once per game. If the call was right, they get to keep that call for another time. But if they call something and the video ref disagrees then that team doesn't get any more captains calls for the rest of the game.

Would love to see that rule brought in to both Rugby Union and football