Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Serie A

Panda

Does anyone here follow Serie A? Might not have the stars of the 90s but for me it's still the most exciting of the top leagues.

Napoli running away with the title this year and might be the first Italian team for a while to have a real chance in the Champions League, but the battle for the top four is a cracker.

Hoping Jose manages to get Roma into the Champions League, would be a game changer for them. They deserved at least a draw against Napoli on Sunday.

Napoli are flying this year. Used to follow Fiorentina and try to watch it when a) I have time and b) it’s on tv. Not a league I follow religiously, but it’s been pretty interesting this season. I’ve also taken an interest in empoli’s results due to a former Nix player joining them last year. Would have loved us to sign him but that ships probably sailed now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jute said:

Milan derby this evening.

Inter winning a good result for Roma & Lazio as keeps Milan behind them.

The two Rome clubs in the Champions League together, and Napoli as champions, would really be something after the traditional Northern domination.

I've always had love for Serie A.  I'm of the football Italia generation but even if I wasn't it's such a bonkers league I would have to have got involved at some point anyway. I also have soft spot for La Viola (ah, Batigol) but they have been very disappointing domestically this season despite reasonable investment.  Obviously keeping an eye on Bologna and it's been pleasing to see ferguson get so much game time. 

Napoli are just something else and have been such a fun team to watch. looking at the CL draw to my uneducated eye the only teams they need to be wary of are Madrid, City and psg.  They have serie a wrapped up though so can focus on the CL to no adverse affect league wise.  I would love them to do it, the seethe from Abu Dhabi and Qatar  at a team like Napoli coming out of nowhere to scoop what they have long pursued would be fucking hilarious. 

Nipped over to Tynecastle to see Fiorentina when they played Hearts. Was disappointed with their away support (and Lazio's when they played Celtic). Neither hold a candle to the noise and colour generated by the Torino support at Pittodrie in 93.

However, might be heading to the Coppa Italia final in May, which could have Fiorentina in it after Cremonese did them an almighty favour by knocking out Napoli and Roma.

• 2 months later...

Five Italian teams in the semi-finals of the three European leagues. 

Would like to say that's one in the eye for critics of Serie A, but even I didn't see that coming, especially one of Milan & Inter guaranteed a Champions League final spot. And none of the five being the current top two Napoli and Lazio. 

• 3 months later...

Back under way this weekend. Ylber Ramadani's first game is at home to Lazio tonight. Lewis Ferguson's Bologna at home to Milan on Monday. 

Think Inter might reclaim the Scudetto. Roma hopefully can get top four.

Three possible Italian teams Aberdeen can face in Europe. Roma or Atalanta in the Europa League. Juventus were in the Conference league but got kicked out, replaced by Fiorentina. Any of those trips would be dynamite.

50 minutes ago, Jute said:

Purely out of selfishness if we get Italian team then we better be in conference as I have been to Rome and Bergamo but never been to Florence. 

I would love and hate that.  I have such a huge soft spot for la viola. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 13:30, Jute said:

Purely out of selfishness if we get Italian team then we better be in conference as I have been to Rome and Bergamo but never been to Florence. 

To be fair, a Hearts mate of mine was raving about Florence last year so wouldn't be against that.

But Roma, Stadio Olympico, Jose Mourinho. 🤌🤌

2 hours ago, Jute said:

Into injury time in first of tonight’s games and it’s been pish. Torino 0-0 Cagliari. 

Bologna v Milan was a good game.  Two good goals early from Milan settled it but Bologna caused them plenty problems in a pretty entertaining game. Fergie started and was playing on the left of a front 3, he troubled the goalkeeper a few times but never had him too worried.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...