Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Darvel v AFC

9 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

Twenty years ago I would be grabbing a pitchfork right now but I genuinely can't be bothered. If anything I'm optimistic about what might happen when Goodwin gets sacked tomorrow morning.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, I still think we have a bit of quality in the squad and a good manager could get something out of them. Goodwin was never going to do that. Must be in the discussion for worst manager in our history.

Oh not a chance, it was way worse under Alex Miller 

It was all so painfully predictable. Yes, we should have got an equaliser as there was no way Clarkson was offside, but we were toothless. This isn’t a shock. We are horrific and bereft of any confidence from top to bottom. Huge clear out needed.

kudos to Darvel, you deserved that.

2 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

Twenty years ago I would be grabbing a pitchfork right now but I genuinely can't be bothered. If anything I'm optimistic about what might happen when Goodwin gets sacked tomorrow morning.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, I still think we have a bit of quality in the squad and a good manager could get something out of them. Goodwin was never going to do that. Must be in the discussion for worst manager in our history.

I'm not actually sure we do have a lot of quality in the squad. When we say squad of course, we're not talking about the bench, who are all shite, and pretty much the entire defence is gash. The midfield is beginning to look a little average. Also the strikers lack any consistency and put in zero effort.

Hayes worked hard when he came on though. 

2 hours ago, DantheDon said:

Any idea what the odds were before the game. Wish I'd taken that bet.

They were 33/1, because quite a few people had it on.

Goodwin stood for most of the match with his arms folded, shouting very little, with no idea how to change things. Miovski & Besuijen subs was a "go on and see what you can do" as opposed to any sort of tactic change or plan. Once again, with it going against him, he didn't know how to turn the tide. 

I expect he'll be sacked on Tuesday once he speaks with Cormack (Cormack was at the game but the two never spoke at full-time). For me the next appointment has to be outwith Scotland, on account no-one in it inspires me. Lambert, Lennon, Tam Courts - no chance. Martindale & Davidson just another Goodwin. Steve Clarke surely not interested until after Euro 2024. Agne Postecoglou probably not interested (although may as well see what Celtic's price is...).

Interested in maybe Danny Cowley. Stick has fallen since Portsmouth but still an interesting pick.

I was at the Edinburgh derby on Sunday as a neutral. Watching Hearts, I still say they're a bang average side but they're effective, have bundles of confidence and belief, and their support was rocking for 90 minutes. They're tearing away in third again and will probably have guaranteed European football until Christmas again unless there's an almighty upset in the Cup. It's a sad day when you're jealous of Hearts. 

Hibs and Aberdeen though. Sacked somewhat stable managers who were underachieving in McInnes & Ross, tried something different with Glass & Maloney that didn't work out, and their current managers will be lucky to last to the fixture between the two teams at the weekend.

• Like 1

Disgrace tonight. No passion or fight from the players and no tactical input from the dead man walking in the dug out. We were incredibly slow and ponderous on the ball at the back. Why did he have Kennedy and Duncan playing as inverted wingers. Surely you want your wingers to hit the byline and get their defenders turning instead we have our cutting infield and slowing the game down. We played in front of their defence most of the game. 

Thought at game goal was fine and not offside but that would just have papered over the cracks.

Goodwin needs punted now and an interim manager brought in to get us through to the summer. That time should be used to bring in a Sporting Director who will set the direction/vision of the club and then select the manager who will fit that. Think Chairman Teeth also has to stay down and bring in a CFO to run the club for him. 

Well it's the morning after the night before as they say, and I've just switched on my phone and ended my social media black out. As expected usual assortment of piss taking messages but surprisingly high number sympathising and feeling my pain.

I've been fortunate to witness the many highs of this football club during my life and yes I've seen a fair few lows but nothing and I mean nothing has ever come remotely close to last night's events.

Never have we had such a gutless, spineless, disjointed group of players on the park and as for off it, there really are no words. You had to be there to witness Goodwin standing on the touchline in silence, arms folded and clueless as to what to do. No passion, no encouragement just  apathy and a man completely out of his depth. Can someone answer the question as to what Goodwin's assistant actually does ? I'm not sure I have ever seen them speaking during a match 🤔

Jute has already made a perfectly valid point regarding the inverted wingers. Not sure if anything was said about Shinnie on TV. Was he carrying a knock ? If not why oh why in a game calling out for his inspirational leadership and motivation did he not get on the park at half time ?

Interesting to see the look of horror on the faces of some of our foreign imports at the level of crowd vitriol directed at them at full time. Just don't think they get it and there in lies part of the problem

I could go on and on and on, but what the fucks the point, if no cunt connected with the club can bother their arse to get up for the cause any longer, then why the fuck should I ?

Fuck the lot of them   

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Well it's the morning after the night before as they say, and I've just switched on my phone and ended my social media black out. As expected usual assortment of piss taking messages but surprisingly high number sympathising and feeling my pain.

I've been fortunate to witness the many highs of this football club during my life and yes I've seen a fair few lows but nothing and I mean nothing has ever come remotely close to last night's events.

Never have we had such a gutless, spineless, disjointed group of players on the park and as for off it, there really are no words. You had to be there to witness Goodwin standing on the touchline in silence, arms folded and clueless as to what to do. No passion, no encouragement just  apathy and a man completely out of his depth. Can someone answer the question as to what Goodwin's assistant actually does ? I'm not sure I have ever seen them speaking during a match 🤔

Jute has already made a perfectly valid point regarding the inverted wingers. Not sure if anything was said about Shinnie on TV. Was he carrying a knock ? If not why oh why in a game calling out for his inspirational leadership and motivation did he not get on the park at half time ?

Interesting to see the look of horror on the faces of some of our foreign imports at the level of crowd vitriol directed at them at full time. Just don't think they get it and there in lies part of the problem

I could go on and on and on, but what the fucks the point, if no cunt connected with the club can bother their arse to get up for the cause any longer, then why the fuck should I ?

Fuck the lot of them   

An explanation for Shinnie’s absence should have been first question asked in post match interview. 

I thought Goodwin was the correct appointment, I was wrong. I cant remember if it was the hibs game earlier in the season, or the huns game, I thought "He hasn't got the tactical ability. We're better to get rid sooner than later".

Stewart, Scales and Lewis at 0-1 down passing it about amongst each other under no pressure before hoofing it aimlessly up field either out of play or to a Darvel players feet. 

McCrorie is like the big lad of limited ability at youth level, who gets annoyed, thinks he's better than he is, so just charges at people with the ball before firing it at 100 mph at one of his team mates from 3 yards, then gives out because they couldn't control it. 

Zero movement from the front 5.

For the umpteenth time, I've seen Goodwin chatting with Samson (a GK coach) during the game, clearly bereft of ideas.

Bringing on Cal Roberts who hasn't played since August(?) to win us a game??? 

3 and a half minutes Darvel held that in the corner before we got it out and Stewart passed it straight to a Darvel player. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

I thought Goodwin was the correct appointment, I was wrong. I cant remember if it was the hibs game earlier in the season, or the huns game, I thought "He hasn't got the tactical ability. We're better to get rid sooner than later".

Stewart, Scales and Lewis at 0-1 down passing it about amongst each other under no pressure before hoofing it aimlessly up field either out of play or to a Darvel players feet. 

McCrorie is like the big lad of limited ability at youth level, who gets annoyed, thinks he's better than he is, so just charges at people with the ball before firing it at 100 mph at one of his team mates from 3 yards, then gives out because they couldn't control it. 

Zero movement from the front 5.

For the umpteenth time, I've seen Goodwin chatting with Samson (a GK coach) during the game, clearly bereft of ideas.

Bringing on Cal Roberts who hasn't played since August(?) to win us a game??? 

3 and a half minutes Darvel held that in the corner before we got it out and Stewart passed it straight to a Darvel player. 

Scales style of play is two steps forward and turn and take two backwards.

Last night wasn't by any means the first time I have noticed this but by fuck I lost count the number of times he did it

• Like 1

Hopefully those Lazio scouts missed the game and still want to give us a couple of Bob for bojan.

On that topic. Totally ineffective but I was more concerned that Duk seemed to give up. Nobody wanted to grab the game and change it. ( Johnny maybe gets pass marks )

This was a diddy team to all effects and our guys should've been desperate to grab a few goals. Looked more like we expected it to happen without actually making it happen.

Coulson had another shocker and Stewart's distribution was questionable. As mentioned above mcrorie tried to lead the charger but lacks the ability once he gets there.

The whole mentality has to change going forward. We need a winner in there.

There's a distinct lack of leadership and the players need someone to give that direction. I don't think shinnie is a big enough presence for that either. In fact McKenzie for me is it only player that personifies that born winner.

Were screaming out for a Scott brown type. Ironically the first thing Jim removed.

• Like 1