Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Darvel v AFC

The good news is that the playing surface looks more than decent although probably a bit wet under foot in parts.

Not difficult to see where Darvel have spent the cash but in all honesty the away area has the potential to be a quagmire. It is basically an area flattened with sand rolled onto it.

Confidence is pretty high in the town and they have a nothing to lose attitude towards the game.

The boy Truesdale up front is one to watch with hatricks in his last two games.

We really are in a no win position here, score six or seven and everyone will simply say and so you should do.

32 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

This mob are basically amateurs. 

That might be the level they currently play at, but as the phrase goes "you can only piss with the cock you're given"

Trust me when I say this, having visited their open day yesterday and seen their set up they are in reality several steps up from this.

The crowd are right on top of the pitch (apart from the away support). We are a team without a heart or leaders, I genuinely have the major fear about this tomorrow night. 

In all honesty if they score first  I fear the worst 

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

This mob are basically amateurs. We’ll hump them. Never mind a “stenhousemuir moment”, if Darvel were to beat Aberdeen it would be the biggest upset in Scottish football history.

They maybe playing in tier 6 but they have been well backed financially. Signed Forfar’s Captain in the summer plus player from Kelty. They have also raided Pollock and Auchinleck this season for players. I would put them as slightly better than Annan who we needed extra time to get passed earlier in the season. 

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

This mob are basically amateurs. We’ll hump them. Never mind a “stenhousemuir moment”, if Darvel were to beat Aberdeen it would be the biggest upset in Scottish football history.

Wonder if Hearts had a similar team talk before they stepped out on the pitch at Brora?

We did comfortably see off Stirling and Peterhead in "tricky" League Cup away ties, and even Goodwin's lack of tactical awareness shouldn't hinder us too much in this one.

That said, I have put a wee bet on Aberdeen to win in extra-time. I just have a feeling.

I also think 3-0 by half-time, so..

Will settle for the same result as the last Scottish Cup game we had against a non league side.

I'm proud to say I was at that one and will be at tonight's also.

Reckon I could be part of a very small group

Elgin City 1971

As Scottish Cup holders the Dons landed Highland League giant killers Elgin City to Pittodrie in 1971. There was great interest in the tie in the area and the original game was postponed on the Saturday due to heavy flooding in the Aberdeen area.

Elgin forged their own piece of Scottish Cup history by reaching the quarter finals in 1969, the first Highland League side to do so. There was also interest locally with former Dons captain Ally Shewan now in the twilight of his career plying his trade with the Borough Briggs side. A huge crowd of 24,136 turned up for the rescheduled tie on 2th January 1971. As cup holders the Dons were the team to beat that season and with Aberdeen also going for the league title there was every hope that a double for the Dons was a possibility.

On the night it was the power and pace of the Dons front line that proved decisive. Jim Forrest was enjoying getting in behind the Elgin defence, although Ally Shewan had marshalled his side well and at times made it difficult for the Dons. Eventually the Dons experience told and Forrest (2) and Joe Harper (2) helped Aberdeen to a convincing 5-0 win over their part time opponents.

Just before my time. Wish I'd caught some of those 60s/early 70s City sides in the Scottish cup

Early 60s City were leading Celtic 1 - 0 at home with 6mins to go. A defensive slip from an old relative of mine helped them back into it to win 2 - 1 🙄

Hence the uncomfort about tonights game....

Think we stick with back 4 but would be tempted to play Richardson at right back as this is about his level and move Kennedy into right mid. If fit would would go with Lopes as main striker. No idea how Goodwin will approach this. Believe we have no back up keeper as Ritchie is cup tied so might have one of youth team on the bench. 

In

lift through

away end looking at back of someone’s head 

lift back to capital

2-0 Lopes and Coulson