Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

League Cup semi-final

Anyone able to explain what our tactics are/style of play? Seems to be smack in long and hope most of the time. Limited build up through midfield and the usual hole in midfield in front of deeper central players and miovski up top. Though clarkson played in the position of a 10 for much of the game but we rarely played him to feet to create. That’s a waste of talent and a player out there if you ask me.

I watched the first half and after 10 minutes was close to switching off. Improved and we created chances. Second half on I thought we were pretty shit and switched off after their second goal. Don’t think the loss of Stewart made a difference, from 45 mins onwards we sat too deep. Yes rangers pushed us back but we needed to push up and forward when we got the ball. Most of the time we just belted it long and lost it.

disappointed to lose but didn’t expect to win, and another week where I see little to suggest goodwin has a positive impact on our team and positive style of play.

Slim,

You ever watched the film Miracle on Ice?  The true life story of USA winning the Gold Medal at Ice Hockey in Lake Placid Winter Olympics 1980 with a bunch of college and university kids?  There's a scene which has always stuck with me from that movie.  I so hope it wasn't put in for dramatic effect. 

Herb Brooks the coach as he was picking the squad to go to the tournament got everybody trying out to do an endurance test.  He got all the players to skate from one end of the rink to the other and keep doing that until he got back.  You know what he never came back to the following morning.  He got his assistant to put together a list of those who had given up especially those who quit when they switched arena lights off.  They were axed and didn't go to the Games.

You know why he did that?  To see who would run through a brick wall for him when things were tough in a match scenario.  He didn't want individuals who gave up at the first opportunity of stuffing going against them. 

It proved to be a masterstroke as they would beat Soviet Union a side full of professional NHL players who hadn't been beaten at the Olympics since 1958 I believe then Finland to win Gold.

Too many teams us included have the wrong attitude and mentally when going into these big matches and it shows in the performances. 

That comes mainly from the manager but also as an individual player or collective.  We have so many weak minded people at the club from the top men to those on the playing field.    

Just back. Didn’t think we deserved to lose that one, but didn’t really do enough to win it either. I’d like to see some of those decisions again, and what was the off the ball incident ? Couldn’t see from my seat, as we were hindered by the goal. 

stewart, played well up until his moment of idiocy, which you cannot do as captain. Them having a man extra seemed to give them the expected boost, but we were ok, just not very composed. Not sure we have a style of play. 

overall, gutted, but glad we actually turned up. Great to catch up with some folk I hadn’t seen in a long time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Just back. Didn’t think we deserved to lose that one, but didn’t really do enough to win it either. I’d like to see some of those decisions again, and what was the off the ball incident ? Couldn’t see from my seat, as we were hindered by the goal. 

Everyone apart from Stewart deserve plaudits for at least giving it everything. Heavy pitch, 120 minutes - 30 of them with 10 men. That's the least I ask for, go there, be brave and give it everything - and we did.

But Stewart min. That's the second time in four games he's got himself sent off and essentially cost us the game.

And Goodwin again couldn't read the game and make positive changes. Ramirez for Miovski made no sense. Miovski wasn't too tired because he was buzzing about in the last of the 90 minutes. Ramirez being a hold up man isn't what he's good at. Watkins would have been a better shout, and yet he was on too late.

Opportunity missed as Rangers weren't all that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, manc_don said:

I mean, what’s the point in VAR if not to pick up on things like that?!? It’s quite understandable why some folk have conspiracy theories about the Scottish game.

It seems to me that it has got a lot worse post the break with stuff being ignored to the benefit of those two.  

Played well in first half and probably deserved to be ahead at half time. Second half we sat too deep and gave them too much space. Felt a goal was coming for them. Stewart sold the jerseys with a ridiculous challenge. No question it was a red card. Hopefully means he is suspended for Wednesday. Won’t happen but Goodwin has chance now to strip the Captaincy from Stewart and give it to Shinnie. 

4 hours ago, SeeBass said:

Too many teams us included have the wrong attitude and mentally when going into these big matches and it shows in the performances. 

We didn't have the wrong attitude or mentality though.

We were clearly up for it. Gave as good as we got. Were prepared to close them down while keeping our shape. Players went looking for the ball and Duk, Shinnie and Scales in particular had very good games.

Was a bit of fortune about their equaliser and by the time of the second goal we were down to 10 men. On another day it goes our way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Panda said:

We didn't have the wrong attitude or mentality though.

We were clearly up for it. Gave as good as we got. Were prepared to close them down while keeping our shape. Players went looking for the ball and Duk, Shinnie and Scales in particular had very good games.

Was a bit of fortune about their equaliser and by the time of the second goal we were down to 10 men. On another day it goes our way.

Agree almost completely. I thought Duk was a liability though. Tavernier caught him on the overlap at least three times before his injury, which came in about 36 minutes. He then became even more of a liability as he hobbled around until half time, giving Tavernier a free role on the right. That continued in the second half until he was taken off, with our shape ruined by being effectively a man down in defence (strangely he was fine going forward). He was waving to the bench for about five minutes before he was actually taken off, at which point they had already scored. It's a high risk strategy playing such an unpredictable player in a role that has a defensive requirement (Kennedy did really well at getting that balance on the other side, having a great game), and bar a few bumbling runs it largely failed.

Also, as much as Stewart sold the jerseys, that tackle was beautiful. I think Chris Clarke on Hutton was the last time I saw a Hun so spectacularly booted in the air. If that had been a league game, I'd have been going home happy with the draw and a red in injury time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Panda said:

I'm not sure what is going on with refereeing at the moment and I am not one of those that is into conspiracy theories about the old firm getting all of the breaks.  The refs just seem to be pleasing themselves at the moment and the whole VAR thing has made things ten times worse.  As an example, Kent pulled someone back by the shirt yesterday, the ref blew for a free kick but chose not to book him which is just plain wrong.  

The offside thing is on its arse as well.  Much though I loved our goal yesterday, it's an absolute farce how the defenders can hold a line to play someone offside yet another player steams through the middle and scores.  Similar to Man Utd's winning goal on Saturday.  If that's going to happen you might as well just scrap offsides totally because there's no point in a defender ever trying to play someone offside.  The game is becoming a joke.

We did well yesterday though.  I don't think we are ever going to outplay Rangers for the entirety because they have better players but we stuck in and were unlucky not to equalise in the end.  Scales looks a right good defender. Shinnie, great signing. Still not overly convinced on the goalie.  Are we any better than last season?  Jury still out.  Will be a hard game against Hearts after ET yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Agree almost completely. I thought Duk was a liability though. Tavernier caught him on the overlap at least three times before his injury, which came in about 36 minutes. He then became even more of a liability as he hobbled around until half time, giving Tavernier a free role on the right. That continued in the second half until he was taken off, with our shape ruined by being effectively a man down in defence (strangely he was fine going forward). He was waving to the bench for about five minutes before he was actually taken off, at which point they had already scored. It's a high risk strategy playing such an unpredictable player in a role that has a defensive requirement (Kennedy did really well at getting that balance on the other side, having a great game), and bar a few bumbling runs it largely failed.

True, but that's tactical / Duk's limitations despite being the GOAT.

Seebass questioned the players' mentality and attitude. I think that's incredibly harsh. The team turned up at Hampden, no question. 

• Like 3

0AE86175-0DFD-4CD7-B001-CFC16D3CE425.thumb.jpeg.cc53aac75add149e5ef06e61a3e8973c.jpeg

Not sure if this should be in this thread or maybe even the January transfer window one. But there's Motherwell's Bevis Mugabi and Charles Dunne at Hampden yesterday.

Matbe not that big a deal since they live locally and are pals with Anthony Stewart. But Dunne - linked before with Aberdeen and out of contract in summer I think - is wearing an Aberdeen top..

1 hour ago, Panda said:

0AE86175-0DFD-4CD7-B001-CFC16D3CE425.thumb.jpeg.cc53aac75add149e5ef06e61a3e8973c.jpeg

Not sure if this should be in this thread or maybe even the January transfer window one. But there's Motherwell's Bevis Mugabi and Charles Dunne at Hampden yesterday.

Matbe not that big a deal since they live locally and are pals with Anthony Stewart. But Dunne - linked before with Aberdeen and out of contract in summer I think - is wearing an Aberdeen top..

Confirmed by the player he's not headed to Pittodrie.

Apparently Stewart wore a Motherwell top at a Celtic/Motherwell cup final a few years ago so he was returning the favour.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Confirmed by the player he's not headed to Pittodrie.

Apparently Stewart wore a Motherwell top at a Celtic/Motherwell cup final a few years ago so he was returning the favour.

Stewart and dunne are pals from Wycombe. So nothing to see there. Not sure re: Mugabe though?

think the two frustrations I have about yesterday are the non red cards for both Kent and Barasic. Honestly the second one in particular was at a crucial time. 86mins on the clock. Would’ve meant 11vs11. Think we’d have nicked it then.