Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SLC - Galabankies vs Dons

Rare to come up against a team we’ve not played against domestically, but here we are. Will make for a fun away day for those able to make it, shame it’s midweek. 

Their results have been mixed since knocking st Johnstone out of the cup, but they’ve also shown some metal to win another penalty shoot out.

We really should be winning this comfortably, but I guess it’ll depend on their pitch etc. same team as the other  games should be fine, but think we’ll need to rotate the squad to keep them fresh.

Plastic pitch at Annan and a great social club. Open terrace at away end so better not rain. As long as everyone if fit would be tempted to stick with same starting 11 as don’t like changing a winning team. 

In

Work then lift down

Away end

Lift back to capital 

3-0 Miovski, McCrorie and Besuijen 

4 hours ago, Panda said:

Lewis in for Roos just to give him a run out, and Watkins or Duk in for Hayes as he's probably the only one who we probably shouldn't be playing twice a week.

Other than that, stick with a winning team.

Honestly, other than resting old man hayes I wouldn’t change anything. Go for the throat and sub early if the opportunity allows. No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

19 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Honestly, other than resting old man hayes I wouldn’t change anything. Go for the throat and sub early if the opportunity allows. No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Is that not what I just said? Lewis in for Roos is hardly complicating matters. 

4 minutes ago, Panda said:

Is that not what I just said? Lewis in for Roos is hardly complicating matters. 

When you have a new keeper and an entirely new back 4 I wouldn't change a thing unless we absolutely have to. Plus we're clearly building from the back with a keeper who can use his feet and Lewis isn't that guy. No reason to change it for now.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

When you have a new keeper and an entirely new back 4 I wouldn't change a thing unless we absolutely have to. Plus we're clearly building from the back with a keeper who can use his feet and Lewis isn't that guy. No reason to change it for now.

It's Annan. They're League 2. They haven't won in four games (in 90 minutes) and one of those was a 4-0 shagging off Dumbarton. 

I doubt us switching the goalkeeper to keep him sharp is going to disrupt the team too much. Would suggest dropping Hayes would be more likely to do that, but you're in agreement that's fine. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

It's Annan. They're League 2. They haven't won in four games (in 90 minutes) and one of those was a 4-0 shagging off Dumbarton. 

I doubt us switching the goalkeeper to keep him sharp is going to disrupt the team too much. Would suggest dropping Hayes would be more likely to do that, but you're in agreement that's fine. 

I understand that. I’m also on the thinking that we’re still a new team finding our feet, and prior to the last two games we weren’t even sure if we were any good. Still aren’t sure really. Why not hammer them to further build confidence?  With not having Europe at the moment we’re not getting slammed with two games a week as in previous years so the players aren’t being over used. As I said, minimal change, get a few up to kill them off, then sub early.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

I understand that. I’m also on the thinking that we’re still a new team finding our feet, and prior to the last two games we weren’t even sure if we were any good. Still aren’t sure really. Why not hammer them to further build confidence?  With not having Europe at the moment we’re not getting slammed with two games a week as in previous years so the players aren’t being over used. As I said, minimal change, get a few up to kill them off, then sub early.

Again, we're agreeing with each other.

I'm proposing dropping the auld yin Hayes and switching the goalkeeper, and sticking with the other nine. That's not wholesale changes, quite the contrary.

13 hours ago, Panda said:

Again, we're agreeing with each other.

I'm proposing dropping the auld yin Hayes and switching the goalkeeper, and sticking with the other nine. That's not wholesale changes, quite the contrary.

I don't agree with dropping Roos purely on the grounds the defence is still getting to know each other.  None of the back 5 should be getting swapped unless absolutely necessary for the time being imo. Have to say, fwiw my feeling at the moment is that Lewis is a better shot stopper, 1 on 1er etc.  

21 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I don't agree with dropping Roos purely on the grounds the defence is still getting to know each other.  

We're nine games into the season. Getting to know each other - birthday caird pish. It's Annan ffs. 

Give Lewis a run out, let Hayes have a rest, win the game by half-time and let Duk, Polvara, Duncan, Milne and Watkins have the second 45 minutes to run riot.

59 minutes ago, Panda said:

We're nine games into the season. Getting to know each other - birthday caird pish. It's Annan ffs. 

Give Lewis a run out, let Hayes have a rest, win the game by half-time and let Duk, Polvara, Duncan, Milne and Watkins have the second 45 minutes to run riot.

I disagree. We are 9 in with an entirely new back 5.  They ain't gonna really know each other on the pitch for a few months yet imo. 

I've seen Annan a few times over the last couple of seasons. Robust, on a tight astro pitch. This is not a game for the likes of Vinnie or leighton. It will be very physical encounter.

Maybe a nice outing for Duncan.

We should have the quality to win it by a couple of goals but we'll have to graft for it. Some of their defending borders on agricultural.

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

I disagree. We are 9 in with an entirely new back 5.  They ain't gonna really know each other on the pitch for a few months yet imo. 

They're of the same (actually, worse) standard of the teams we had four clean sheets against in the group stage, when the defence were all shy and vulnerable.

It's now the end of August. We'll be fine. Lewis in for Roos or I we riot.

Morris on the left? Kennedy on the right.

I'd have given Lewis the run out but we all know Jim Goodwin reads this forum and obviously others were more persuasive than me.

Glad to see Mackenzie start though - totally forgot about him to be honest. 90 minutes will do him good and Coulson is one of those players who you want the cotton wool wrapped round him for three big games coming up (County, Rangers, Hibs).

• Like 1