Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs Well

Feel good factor well and truly down the pan

Defence looks every bit as vulnerable this season as it did last.

Didn't exactly think we were world beaters after last week but by fuck I certainly expected better than what has been on show this afternoon.

No over reaction from me. 11 new players, ‘newish’ manager, and a complete overhaul. This will happen. 
Here’s what we have to learn from today though, and we need to take moving forward. Stop fucking around with the two most important positions in the team, central defensive and center mid. Develop Stewart and scales and get us strong in the middle. Mccrorie is most effective in center mid, and has influence, play him there every week. Develop the spine of the team and make us stronger in the middle of the park. Clarkson is also a 20 yr old kid who comes off the bench. Sign Ronan, an attacking mid with experience at 24.
Baby steps, bump in the road. Next! 

• Like 4

Agreed Orlando,keep Scales in central defence,McRorie was uncomfortable to watch in there today,....needed his energy in midfield.Thought we were sluggish in thought and movement today,as well as error strewn which we should expect I suppose til they (hopefully) gel.

On to St Js next week.....

Got to get a right back in as Richardson is utter shite. If Roo’s cannot come off his line then we need to go back to Lewis in goal. Need to get McCrorie into midfield as we are over run in there without him. Too many players who are big strong fast but not very good at football. Injuries to Clarkson and Kennedy both were non contact so bit of a concern. Only positive was Miovski. Looks a real find. Might be lucky to hang on to him in January at this rate.

Not long back. That was a honking performance from back to front and in the dugout. The only plus point today was dispelling the myth that McRorie can play left centre half. He was atrocious today, and he didn't recover when he went to midfield. Stewart was an absolute bombscare. For a captain to be so unsure of himself, and so lacking in pace, against such a labouring forward line is shocking. He had to get deeper and deeper than his fellow defenders as the game went on to cope with his lack of pace. 

Clarkson wasn't strong enough against eleven man Motherwell and Ramadani was breathing oot his airse after 60 minutes, as was Miovski. Sh/J/Hayden Morris takes the prize for the worst debut performance since Hernandez. Goodwin has had over a week to look at the guy, and it's obvious to anyone with eyes that he's not nearly good enough for playing in the SPFL (that might change with fitness or whatever of course, but right now I'm talking about). Watkins was the correct replacement to make and even allowing the initial error, Morris should have been hooked well before their third, where he was posted missing again. An absolute liability, who just wandered off his man, whilst offering nothing in attack. 

Motherwell just pressured us knowing we'd make mistakes and we obliged. Several of our players looked done in the heat after an hour. Goodwin didn't seem to read the game at all. His changes were poor and at the wrong time. Hopefully it's just a blip given the huge turnover. 

Lovely cross from Scales (reminds me of mulgrew, a really good left peg) and a great header. Really good battling from Richardson (who did alright today) for the second.

20 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I thought this, but wasn't sure if he was maybe blinded by the sun for the goal. It was a yard out, and Lewis would have been slated for it.

Does anyone see Roos better than Lewis??? I personally don’t see it, but those at the games may see more..

17 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Not long back. That was a honking performance from back to front and in the dugout. The only plus point today was dispelling the myth that McRorie can play left centre half. He was atrocious today, and he didn't recover when he went to midfield. Stewart was an absolute bombscare. For a captain to be so unsure of himself, and so lacking in pace, against such a labouring forward line is shocking. He had to get deeper and deeper than his fellow defenders as the game went on to cope with his lack of pace. 

Clarkson wasn't strong enough against eleven man Motherwell and Ramadani was breathing oot his airse after 60 minutes, as was Miovski. Sh/J/Hayden Morris takes the prize for the worst debut performance since Hernandez. Goodwin has had over a week to look at the guy, and it's obvious to anyone with eyes that he's not nearly good enough for playing in the SPFL (that might change with fitness or whatever of course, but right now I'm talking about). Watkins was the correct replacement to make and even allowing the initial error, Morris should have been hooked well before their third, where he was posted missing again. An absolute liability, who just wandered off his man, whilst offering nothing in attack. 

Motherwell just pressured us knowing we'd make mistakes and we obliged. Several of our players looked done in the heat after an hour. Goodwin didn't seem to read the game at all. His changes were poor and at the wrong time. Hopefully it's just a blip given the huge turnover. 

Lovely cross from Scales (reminds me of mulgrew, a really good left peg) and a great header. Really good battling from Richardson (who did alright today) for the second.

Thought Vinny was shite today...he's obviously got an excellent first touch but once he's got time to think about what to do he looks lost. Same with Ramadani, broke forward a couple of times and then thought "what do I do now" - eg the last couple of minutes, got as far their penalty box, did a couple of step overs and then got smothered out. The only thing I can remember Hayes doing was complaining to the ref.  Kennedy was back to his performances for the last couple of years (guess it's easier to look good against Peterhead and Stirling Albion), gets the ball, look to take on the full back, doesn't fancy his chances, turns back and play a safe pass (except when he twice passed it straight out for a shy (auld guy's term).  Thought we were lucky to only lose by 1 goal.  Positives (scraping the barrel), Scales, McKenzie when he came on, Miovski's goal (like last week a real poacher's goal).  

17 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Does anyone see Roos better than Lewis??? I personally don’t see it, but those at the games may see more..

Nope. He's just different. Lewis was recovering form and I think his dropping was harsh. Roos is no Woods like, but I think Lewis edges it in my opinion. Goodwin seems to have taken approach whereby he wants zero trace of Glass' signings and if he's decided in a player he won't change his mind. I think that's a very risky approach and detrimental to our short term performances. It also allows for zero errors in his own recruitment, which I think is at best naive, at worst fucking stupid. That Ramirez or Watkins played no part today was criminal given the display from Morris and the overall fitness at the hour mark. There was even a very strong case for Bates today, which is how bad our defence was.

Edited by RicoS321

3 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

Thought Vinny was shite today...he's obviously got an excellent first touch but once he's got time to think about what to do he looks lost. Same with Ramadani, broke forward a couple of times and then thought "what do I do now" - eg the last couple of minutes, got as far their penalty box, did a couple of step overs and then got smothered out. The only thing I can remember Hayes doing was complaining to the ref.  Kennedy was back to his performances for the last couple of years (guess it's easier to look good against Peterhead and Stirling Albion), gets the ball, look to take on the full back, doesn't fancy his chances, turns back and play a safe pass (except when he twice passed it straight out for a shy (auld guy's term).  Thought we were lucky to only lose by 1 goal.  Positives (scraping the barrel), Scales, McKenzie when he came on, Miovski's goal (like last week a real poacher's goal).  

Vinny looked shiter because he was the only one trying stuff. Most of his errors were high up the park and he was always looking to be involved. Hayes works incredibly hard, and deserved his goal but shouldn't be relied upon to be the creative element in the team. Kennedy was, and is, pap. Goodwin decided before he joined the club that Kennedy was a player, and he's completely incorrect but unable to change his own mind - he's literally seeing something that isn't there (see Glass and Ojo). Hopefully he'll be out for a couple of weeks to allow space to try out others. 

Maybe I’m being overly sympathetic but give these guys a fucking chance. I’ve never ever seen an overhaul like this, plus I don’t even know if Goodwin is a good manager. We’ve added so many players with so many fitness levels, from so many places. Some loans, some signings, some who’ve never even been to Scotland before, never mind Aberdeen. Have they settled in the area, families, so they even know each other, never mind how each other play, habits, strengths, weaknesses etc. we’ve even added guys with which English isn’t even their first language, so many accents in a game where communication is key. 
please, bite your tongue for a few weeks and see how this plays out. I’d say by Xmas we’ll know what we have.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Maybe I’m being overly sympathetic but give these guys a fucking chance. I’ve never ever seen an overhaul like this, plus I don’t even know if Goodwin is a good manager. We’ve added so many players with so many fitness levels, from so many places. Some loans, some signings, some who’ve never even been to Scotland before, never mind Aberdeen. Have they settled in the area, families, so they even know each other, never mind how each other play, habits, strengths, weaknesses etc. we’ve even added guys with which English isn’t even their first language, so many accents in a game where communication is key. 
please, bite your tongue for a few weeks and see how this plays out. I’d say by Xmas we’ll know what we have.

I don't think anybody isn't going to give them a chance (although there was some booing at the game today which is very unfair so early). Goodwin has taken a risk to bring in players with zero SPFL experience and hope they gel within a short space of time. That is problematic for me, and to write off both Ramirez and Watkins so early is poor management. Both would have done better than the alternatives today and both are proven SPFL players. Taking a non league player on at one nil down is just bad management. He should be blooded in like any other young player and that should have been obvious from the past week's training. I think Goodwin is choosing to make things hard for himself, just like he did during the run in. The bumps along the road are going to be greater with this approach. I said last season that it'll take at least a season to catch up on our (Cormack's) scandalous neglect in the prior windows, and I'm convinced that'll still be the case.

• Like 1

I’d say we’ve added a lot of younger players with potential too. And paid money for them, and longer contracts. These guys will get played to learn, for good and bad. That’s a tougher journey, really challenges their mental strength. It’s clear Watkins and Ramirez aren’t the future but I do agree, a fit Ramirez or Watkins should initially play over a guy who didn’t have preseason or has barely trained with us. I didn’t agree with clarkson playing last week minutes after signing. Don’t think we are helping ourselves with these decisions but I’ll bite my tongue for the most let and give it time.

Yes, it takes time to gel. But Goodwin is making little effort to do that by firing out different selections that he likely has  little interest in sticking with long term.

When Mackenzie is fully fit, and when Coulson returns, McCrorie will likely be in midfield. Why not play him there now and work on that? We weren't that short that McCrorie had to be there.

Goodwin will argue that having Scales at left-back led to the equaliser as it was his cross for Miovski, but he was signed as a centre half, that's where he'll be playing most of the season, so play him there and develop the Scales-Stewart partnership. 

It now means we go to St Johnstone, off the back of a bad result, with what will be another unfamiliar line-up.

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights. Miovski really should have hit the net when one on one with there keeper, but to be fair he made up for it with his goal. There second goal I don't understand why we don't have anyone protecting the keeper, the third we shouldn't let them take it down in our half like that. Good thing is these are simple things that may just be down to the team not having time to gel. Not having been at the game today I can't really comment on the rest of the performance.

6 hours ago, DantheDon said:

Good thing is these are simple things that may just be down to the team not having time to gel. Not having been at the game today I can't really comment on the rest of the performance.

It was really bad. They could, and should, have scored more. Five wouldn't have been flattering. It looked like they'd had a team summer barbecue in the morning, gone a bit overboard on the sausages and were struggling to run.

10 hours ago, Panda said:

Goodwin will argue that having Scales at left-back led to the equaliser as it was his cross for Miovski

I'd rather he had prevented 2 goals as CB than created 1 as LB.  Hopefully Coulson is back soon and we can get on with creating a settled back four, as we looked terrible in defence yesterday.

Haven't put myself through the highlights yet, but what is the general consensus with how JG will deal with the Roos / Lewis conundrum? I can't seem him dropping him, given I think it was Rico who said it, he's his man. Still feel it's a tad harsh on Lewis to be dropped without a sniff of having a decent, consistent back line in front of him. I still think Lewis has plenty to give and tarnishing him with Glass isn't fair on him either.  Was Roos at fault on the weekend?