Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

St mirren - Dons

9 hours ago, redordead said:

I think we've clearly dominated a lot more of the ball than we did previously and I'm sure the stats reflect this. ( Although maybe not last week )

Second highest in the league for possession this season (65% average, beaten only by Celtic). 

4 hours ago, HaarDon said:

I think Samuels is injured.

Thought Glass said it was Watkins that was injured?

15 hours ago, Panda said:

Second highest in the league for possession this season (65% average, beaten only by Celtic). 

Thought Glass said it was Watkins that was injured?

Interesting possession stats. However, possession was never really an issue under McInnes either. We had huge spells of un-scored possession last season too, which was variously described as "dominating". However, like last season we don't look like scoring. I think if we were to look back at around this time last season there'd have been talk on this board about someone "about to take a hiding" from the dons. We were playing with a lot of invention but weren't finishing, with Watkins providing great all round play without the finishing. We're not looking like giving anyone a hiding at present despite our possession as we look utterly unthreatening. 

Sounds like Watkins won't make it today as you say (although I don't think that would ever excuse suggesting Samuels up front though!), so it'll likely be Ramirez getting another run out. Hopefully we'll see a bit more invention with Hedges back, but I think that we're so disjointed at times that he might struggle to work out his role. I think I'd like to see us take the Steve Clarke at Killie approach for a while. Simplify everything down to a few basic instructions per player in a recognisable shape (3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1) that provides good cover. For example, Hayes and Hedges hitting the byline and firing it across with Ramirez making the front post on repeat. Playing it in the channels and pressing the opposition, that sort of jazz. Get us back to some sort of form and then build back in the more elaborate stuff from a position of confidence. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Kick out was poor but still 40 odd yards up the pitch.

We should be wary of their attackers way better than that and balls coming back quickly imo.

Bad marking.

I have only seen it once, live from behind the goals. Not saying others don't shoulder part of the blame BUT that kick out was pathetic and massive contributory factor in conceding. 

Forty yards or not you would expect your keeper to stick his laces through that and have it into the opposition half.

If Lewis spent as much time concentrating on his own game instead of berating David Bates then we would be in better shape.

I reserve the right to change my view when I see the incident again later on tonight.

1 minute ago, BigAl said:

I have only seen it once, live from behind the goals. Not saying others don't shoulder part of the blame BUT that kick out was pathetic and massive contributory factor in conceding. 

Forty yards or not you would expect your keeper to stick his laces through that and have it into the opposition half.

If Lewis spent as much time concentrating on his own game instead of berating David Bates then we would be in better shape.

I reserve the right to change my view when I see the incident again later on tonight.

Agree it was a bad kick out Al 

Bates should've been more wary too though.

Let's call it a Lewbates shocker.