Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Gretna - OFF?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soutar - 5 - Nothing to do but kicking was atrocious.

Maybury - 6 - Did ok, one or two dodgy moments though.

Diamond - 6 - Struggled against the big black guy in the air, never looked in trouble though.

Considine - 6 - Steady enough, never under much pressure.

Foster - 4 - Nothing much to do defensively but terrible going forward, distribution was as bad as I've seen from an Aberdeen player.

Nicholson - 6 - Didn't do anything at all wide right in the first half, looked better in the second through the middle and scored a good goal.

Touzani - 6 - Did ok, but the game didn't really require a holding midfielder. Won a fair few tackles.

Severin - 6 - Lost possession a bit too much with slack passes but Gretna's midfield wasn't up to much and he was never really challenged.

De Visscher - 5 - Didn't have a good game, distribution was crap, I've seen the wind blow the ball further than he can kick it.

Miller - 6 - Didn't really get involved in the game too much, came deep far too often and was prone to falling over quite a lot. Lucky the keeper conceded the penalty as he was going nowhere.

Maguire - 5 - He was awful, and not even a goal could mask that. Seemed to be geniunely terrified of being tackled so jumped out of the way quite a lot, or in some cases, didn't bother going for the ball at all.

Subs:

Aluko - 6 - No idea why he wasn't on from the start, ideal game for him, always looked dangerous on the ball, although did tend to give the ball away a bit too much.

Lovell - 6 - Got into some fantastic positions, some of which went unnoticed by our midfield. Probably should have scored at least once, but it was more bad luck than anything that prevented him from doing so. Definitely got more stuck in than Maguire. Good work to set up Nicholson's goal.

McNamara - 5 - Didn't do much other than give the ball away whenever he got it.

Diamond - 6 - Struggled against the big black guy in the air, never looked in trouble though.

Foster - 4 - Nothing much to do defensively but terrible going forward, distribution was as bad as I've seen from an Aberdeen player.

Nicholson - 6 - Didn't do anything at all wide right in the first half, looked better in the second through the middle and scored a good goal.

Touzani - 6 - Did ok, but the game didn't really require a holding midfielder. Won a fair few tackles.

Severin - 6 - Lost possession a bit too much with slack passes but Gretna's midfield wasn't up to much and he was never really challenged.

De Visscher - 5 - Didn't have a good game, distribution was crap, I've seen the wind blow the ball further than he can kick it.

Miller - 6 - Didn't really get involved in the game too much, came deep far too often and was prone to falling over quite a lot. Lucky the keeper conceded the penalty as he was going nowhere.

Maguire - 5 - He was awful, and not even a goal could mask that. Seemed to be geniunely terrified of being tackled so jumped out of the way quite a lot, or in some cases, didn't bother going for the ball at all.

Subs:

Aluko - 6 - No idea why he wasn't on from the start, ideal game for him, always looked dangerous on the ball, although did tend to give the ball away a bit too much.

Lovell - 6 - Got into some fantastic positions, some of which went unnoticed by our midfield. Probably should have scored at least once, but it was more bad luck than anything that prevented him from doing so. Definitely got more stuck in than Maguire. Good work to set up Nicholson's goal.

That for me is the most accurate report/ratings of the game I have read so far.

I read some of the comments of afc chat and its a joke.

Subs:

Agree with all the above apart from Lovell.  Had 3 or 4 very good chances in front of goal.

Good point about Miller, he seemed to be wandering in the wrong direction far too often, and when we did break in the first half, he was back in midfield.  There were quite a few occasions when we had nobody in the box when a ball was being whipper in.

I thought they'd no fans as well, but turns out the 68 of them (i was bored) were in the main stand by the corner. Thought Lovell's movement was very good. About the only good thing he did with the ball was square it to Nicholson though. All in all, a pretty awful performance but a comfortable win. We just didn't look interested. Too many moves broke down by trying to be over elaborate with the ball (i'm looking at you in particular Messrs Miller and De Visscher) when we should have concentrated on winning the game first.

First 5 times he was involved in the play were FLUFF PASSES or outright schoolboy errors!  Spent most of the 1st half screaming to get him off.

Does anybody think that Caldo told the players to go easy on Gretna out of sympathy in rhe first half, sorta knowing that come the second half he could chuck on Lovell, Mackie and Aluko to really have a go at them and get a half decent result?

dude!

That sounds like paranoia at its finest...

Guest swaddon

Does anybody think that Caldo told the players to go easy on Gretna out of sympathy in rhe first half, sorta knowing that come the second half he could chuck on Lovell, Mackie and Aluko to really have a go at them and get a half decent result?

I read this morning that he said we "could have had four or five, but that would have been harsh on Gretna, to be fair".

I thought they'd no fans as well, but turns out the 68 of them (i was bored) were in the main stand by the corner. Thought Lovell's movement was very good. About the only good thing he did with the ball was square it to Nicholson though. All in all, a pretty awful performance but a comfortable win. We just didn't look interested. Too many moves broke down by trying to be over elaborate with the ball (i'm looking at you in particular Messrs Miller and De Visscher) when we should have concentrated on winning the game first.

I was in the main stand just along for them and they were pretty vocal to give them credit, although whether it was heard around the ground who knows.

Little singing from RDU yesterday and none from elsewhere that I noticed, atmosphere was pish. I am converted to the main stand as it's a million times better than my season ticket seat but sadly I'm not paying that much to sit there every week!

I was a little disappointed that in such close proximity to the Gretna fans I never heard anyone wind them up at all. They were so determined to sing a song for us I was going to suggest busking as a way for them to earn their club some pennies. :thumbsup:

I was in the main stand just along for them and they were pretty vocal to give them credit, although whether it was heard around the ground who knows.

Little singing from RDU yesterday and none from elsewhere that I noticed, atmosphere was pish. I am converted to the main stand as it's a million times better than my season ticket seat but sadly I'm not paying that much to sit there every week!

I was a little disappointed that in such close proximity to the Gretna fans I never heard anyone wind them up at all. They were so determined to sing a song for us I was going to suggest busking as a way for them to earn their club some pennies. :thumbsup:

Did you not try to "take their end"? If not, poor show Sneckie, poor show.

There was singing coming from the RDU all game. I sat in the south for a change and despite the better view it had no atmosphere at all. I was thinking about moving from the Dick Donald to the south stand next season but after that I've decided not to. RDU is the place to be. (Unless you're a boring cunto and want to sit in silence for the whole 90 minutes.)

There was singing coming from the RDU all game. I sat in the south for a change and despite the better view it had no atmosphere at all. I was thinking about moving from the Dick Donald to the south stand next season but after that I've decided not to. RDU is the place to be. (Unless you're a boring cunto and want to sit in silence for the whole 90 minutes.)

REAL fans go to the South. FACT.  ;)

You didn't choose a very good game to carry out your experiment. Better luck next time, I'd suggest...

REAL fans - Section Y - SUPER FACT

But if ye want singing and aptmosphere - don't bother coming along - we were mostly a bit pissed off with red ultras section Y experiment a few years back... the lesson is though - go where you're happy - but dinnae slag off other bits of the ground just cos it's not for you (except of course for the RDU fannies  :thumbsup:)

TrUfAKt?

My point is that if you want any sort of atmosphere at all, you have to be in the RDU. Theres no singing anywhere else in the stadium. I've heard the south stand sing once in the last three or four years. The south stand should be where everyone goes for a sing song, its right on top of the players but as it is just now, its a boring place to be.

we do sing occasionally so your "once in the last three or four years" statement is bollocks - but you prob wouldn't hear cos yer in the RDU.  we don't sing much though.

We don't need to sing to prove how good supporters we are.  We prefer to have a laugh and social occasion with our mates... and of course pitch invasions and missile throwing are right up there too :thumbsup:

Nothing to do with proving how good supporters you are. I just prefer to be in the area with the most singing, and its not something you're going to get in the south stand or main stand.

The sorry saga continues:

Gretna players consider striking

Wishart has concerns for the future of Gretna's playing staff

Gretna players are considering strike action as they await unpaid wages from the Scottish Premier League club on the brink of going out of business.

They are currently in a meeting with players' union chief Fraser Wishart.

The players are unhappy that administrator David Elliott could not give assurances that their contracts would be honoured until the summer.

And one player told BBC Sport that they are considering striking, which could threaten the fixture against Celtic.

Sunday's match has been moved to Livingston's Almondvale Stadium because of drainage problems at Motherwell's Fir Park, where Gretna are tenants.

Gretna staff were this week handed a portion of their unpaid wage bill by the club's administrator.

The sum amounts to 55% of one week's pay, although they are still owed two full weeks plus bonuses.

Some players decided not to play in Saturday's match against Aberdeen after the club went into administration.

But caretaker manager Mick Wadsworth backed the decisions of the players, stressing that they should not be criticised for their views.

Wages were withheld as the club went into administration after ailing owner Brooks Mileson withdrew his financial backing.

Playing staff expressed concern over the unpaid wages and medical insurance issues.

The club's league future was placed in doubt after it appeared they would be unable to field 11 players for the match against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

However, the match went ahead after the Black and Whites drafted in a number of their U19 squad.

Wishart is also increasingly concerned by the lack of communication from Fifa over the plight of Gretna's playing staff.

World football's governing body has yet to respond to the SFA's requests to give Gretna's players dispensation to move club beyond March.

And the SPFA chief executive fears for the livelihoods of the players if no decision comes soon.

"If the players can't switch club, they could be in limbo until the summer should Gretna fold," said Wishart.

Players whose contracts are terminated may re-sign for another club with Fifa permission.

But rules also state that no club can sign players after March, which would pose problems for Gretna players should the club go out of business after then.

Gretna's administrators told staff they are free to look for other clubs if they wish.

However, caretaker manager Mick Wadsworth outlined the obstacles involved.

"There's interest from other clubs and I'm sure players and agents are talking to clubs, but we're in abnormal circumstances," Wadsworth told the club's website.

"There is a huge problem with international clearance, cancellation of registration and moving outside the transfer window, so it's not an easy situation and we need guidance."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gretna/7300296.stm

Will this ever end???

The sooner gretna fuck off back to the hole that they came from the better!

The sorry saga continues:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gretna/7300296.stm

Will this ever end???

The sooner gretna fuck off back to the hole that they came from the better!

what the fuck would be the point of a strike?

They don't play

Gretna get no cash from the tim game and go bust.

That's hardly gonna help the players get paid is it?