Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Gretna - OFF?

Ah right, in that case they're definately over-paid.

Sure they could have a car-pull to get here and not stay over? Wouldn't it be in the players interest to play for free for the rest of the season to put themselves in the shop window to get a new club?

Don't know, that's a squad of say 18 players, manager, coaches, physio, club secretary etc. And the £30k is also for transport and a hotel, which is likely to be overnight. Even if it wasn't overnight, they're still likely to have their pre match meal in a hotel which will also cost a fair bit for that amount of staff.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you owed somebody £100 and they had just been hit by a bus and expected not to make it through the night would you be busy transferring the cash into their account ? The key question for the SPL is whether its better to pour good money into a hole or to avoid the utter shambles of readjusting peoples points tally and facing the wrath of teams like Hibs and Motherwell who will really suffer from this move.

Personally I think they will try to ensure that Gretna fulfill their fixtures to the split and then decree that everyone has had a fair crack at them and they can now crawl into a hole and die.

Exactly. From what I can gather the loan, or rather advance, which I beleive is a more accurate description, would have been given to them on the basis that they could guarantee they could then fulfil their remaining fixtures.

Essentially they would get their 'prize' money for finishing bottom in March instead of May. As it looks like the money may not guarantee that they can do that, the league are obviously not wanting to just chuck money at them for it to serve no discernable purpose.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/03/13/SPL-Paul-Davies-on-Gretna-offer/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

A football consortium fronted by football agent Paul Davies has revealed they could launch a rescue bid for blighted SPL side Gretna.

The Scottish outfit went into administration on Wednesday and the club face closure by the close of business on Thursday unless they can raise £30,000 to pay overdue wages and meet the costs of the club’s away trip to Aberdeen on Saturday.

After Brooks Mileson’s funding was pulled abruptly Davies believes the side can be still be saved before time runs out.

"We're shocked this has come out, we only spoke to the administrator at 2pm on Wednesday,†Davies told The Sun.

"We have a strong interest but we've not looked at the figures.â€

He added: "We'll pay lower wages and look to link up with a Premiership side. This is a serious bid."

What's the point?  They don't have enough fans to make it viable.

My thoughts exactly. Send the fucking clown onto Dragons Den, let Duncan Ballantyne tell the fucker why his idea isn't gonna wash its own face. Are these people mental ?...I'm out.

Supposedly Gretna FC was broken into last night

Jimmy Calderwood will do anything to secure 3 points this Saturday.  Though I'm not sure how he managed to squeeze through that window...

Supposedly Gretna FC was broken into last night and they had 20 pairs of football boots stolen.

I know they talk about kicking someone when they're down, but doing it with their own boots is really taking the piss!

Don't forger the players lunches too.  ;D

Anyway, the EE now says AFC could lose out on £100,000 due to season ticket holders demanding a refund if Saturday's game is postponed.

I had not actually thought of this before I read it, so a big well done to the EE for trying to cost AFC money.

Don't forger the players lunches too.  ;D

Anyway, the EE now says AFC could lose out on £100,000 due to season ticket holders demanding a refund if Saturday's game is postponed.

I had not actually thought of this before I read it, so a big well done to the EE for trying to cost AFC money.

So who are all these ST holders "demanding" a refund? I'm not, hadn't and wouldn't consider it.

Dear fuck that EE really is an absolute dot to dot of a fucking paper.

Any cunt who demands a refund from AFC would need their fucking heid looked at. Seriously.

As for this agent, he obviously isnt bothered about turning it into a viable proposition in terms of fanbase etc, the idea will be to use Gretna as a showcase for taking in players and selling them on. Asset stripping pretty much, much like Vlad at Hearts!  :lolabove:

Apparently players have walked.

There is no case for this game being postponed though.

Either they can "sign" (register) players who will play for free and play the game.

or they can't sign anyone under the rules in which case they still won't have a team for when the game is rearranged (and all other games they have to play).

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3296392,00.html

Gretna's appointed administrator David Elliot admits the club's situation has deteriorated since Wednesday and that their weekend match against Aberdeen is expected to be postponed.

The Scottish Premier League club officially entered administration on Wednesday and they now face a race against time to avoid closure after being ordered to find £30,000 to pay for Saturday's tip to Aberdeen

And at a press conference on Sky Sports News on Thursday afternoon Elliot has stated that the club now finds itself in a worse position and expects the trip to Pittodrie to be called off.

Elliot has stated that the club plans to continue to operate, but confessed all players are free to leave as their contracts have been breached.

"The position has not improved from yesterday, it has deteriorated and I am not convinced we will be able to put a team out on Saturday," said Elliot, of administrators Wilson Field.

"That would mean we are breach of league rules and would leave us open to be fined and face other penalties.

"Unfortunately we are running out of time."

Think they need to sort out Saturday's game ASAP!