Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Gretna - OFF?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story on BBC site now about SPL bosses 'rallying' to support Gretna. Some cock and bull about families and mortgages, its oh so sincere  :violin:.

How long before we get the huns coming out in support of their 3 point lead...er....I mean the families of the players and then Motherwell offering support by keeping their 9 points...er...I mean waving the ground share costs.......aren't sanctimony and self preservation such beautiful bed fellows.  8)

A load of questions need to be answered by the SPL.

Are they going to strip clubs of the points already gained versus Gretna?

If so, are all cautions and ordering off's going to be recinded too? In Aberdeen's case, this would mean Lee Miller in the Pittodrie match and Ricky Foster in the away match. In Millers case, due to the totting up system, he received a suspension. Does this put the SPL at risk of legalities being that Miller was suspended for an important league match when the record's will show that he wasn't in fact over the totting up limit after all?

Are AFC likely to receive compensation for all losses incurred due to Gretna's ceasing of business?

When the league splits, the bottom 6 (now 5) shall have 1 match less to play resulting in even more loss of revenue for the bottom sides, not to mention players of all sides losing out on bonuses etc, suppliers such as bakers, printers, security companies. How do the SPL propose to make up for that? Surely they can't allow the top 6 sides to profit while the bottom 6 (5) lose out?

There are probably a load more questions to be asked and the SPL would be advised to be cautious with their decision on the matter or they could be faced with legal challenges from a number of clubs.

Caroline I  :clap: you, superb post there, and I take my hat off to your knowledge of the game.

I've been away for a few days, and cannae really get my head around this, thought it was pretty straight forward regarding this Sat, in that they needed to raise £30k to pay wages/expenses for this weekend.

Given that I'm led to beleive this surely the game is on ???

Maybe not according to what I read this morning.

Now call me an old cynic if you like, but can't help but feel that if this game goes ahead we could lose this as the eleven they have on the park are likely to turn up with a chip on their shoulders and play like the Brazilian team of the 1970 world cup ;)

If the game is on, the injury situation up front has eased:

The injury situation is starting to clear with no fresh doubts to report and the news that Lovell, Mackie and McNamara look set to return while Nicholson returns from suspension. It gives the manager a selection headache, but one he won't be too concerned about. Calderwood also revealed that both Jamie Smith and Richie Byrne will go into hospital to try and identify the scale of the problem they have suffered this season.

Gretna team for saturday

Only 11 have agreed to travel - Abdul Osman, BenWilkinson, Rhys Meynell, Mickael Buscher, John Paul Kissock, Steven Hogg, Ryan Baldacchino, Gavin Skelton, Kyle Naughton, Artur Krysak and Henry Makinwa.

Gretna team for saturday

Only 11 have agreed to travel - Abdul Osman, BenWilkinson, Rhys Meynell, Mickael Buscher, John Paul Kissock, Steven Hogg, Ryan Baldacchino, Gavin Skelton, Kyle Naughton, Artur Krysak and Henry Makinwa.

Deary deary me. If the SPL allow that shit they will be making a complete mockery of the league. Mind you, they are a joke so . . . .

I see Skelton is still soldiering on, that's loyalty (or stupidity). Am I right in saying he was been with Gretna since their days in the Unibond League?

A quick check on Wiki confirms you are correct, but more worryingly it also has this:

He also believed to be close to signing a deal with Aberdeen FC.

which was added to the article on Wednesday.

Edit: On closer inspection is seems like a piss take (phew). The same person also edited Zdrillic's page saying he was coming back also.

Well, if its a draw with 20min to go & they only have 11 players in the squad i'd fully advocate telling Duff to injure their keeper.

that way duff is suspended & wont be able to play as often :thumbsup: and they have to put an outfield player in goals....

Well, if its a draw with 20min to go & they only have 11 players in the squad i'd fully advocate telling Duff to injure their keeper.

that way duff is suspended & wont be able to play as often :thumbsup: and they have to put an outfield player in goals....

I love that rational!  :thumbsup:

SPL have not been asked to postpone the match according to the P&J.

Contrary to comments from Gretna’s administrator David Elliot yesterday, the SPL has not been asked to postpone the game.

Elliot claimed the Black and Whites did not have enough fit and available players to play the match but Greig Mailer, SPL marketing and communications manager, said: “We have not had a request to postpone the game. We are aware of the comments from the administrator at Gretna but the game is on.

“I am not saying the position may not change but there has been nothing to suggest otherwise.

“We are in regular contact with the administrator and we are aware of the player issue but there has been no request from Gretna.

“The Scottish Premier League has informed Aberdeen as far as it is concerned Gretna will fulfil this weekend’s league fixture.â€

Confirmed on the BBC website

Gretna's Dons game gets go-ahead 

The future is looking increasingly bleak for Gretna

Gretna's SPL match against Aberdeen at Pittodrie will go ahead despite the club entering administration.

The club's future is in doubt after benefactor Brooks Mileson withdrew his financial backing following illness.

Gretna's administrator David Elliot said on Thursday only 10 players were willing to play on Saturday.

But the club said on Friday that a full squad would travel to Pittodrie and it thanked everyone for their messages of support and goodwill.

Meanwhile, SPL managers have rallied to the Gretna cause and hope the club can survive their financial crisis.

"Everyone's thoughts are with the staff and the players," said Kilmarnock boss Jim Jefferies.

"A lot of people will struggle as they have mortgages to pay.

"Other clubs may lose a few points but I don't think that is a major issue. The main thing is the players and the staff as they could be jobless."

If Gretna cannot complete the 10 remaining games of the season, the Scottish Premier League will have to recalculate the standings.

All points from games involving the bottom club would be taken out of the reckoning.

Dundee United, who have lost twice to Gretna, would be the main beneficiaries.

Celtic, who are three points behind league leaders Rangers, would move top of the table on goal difference.

A worried Gretna squad contemplate their futures 

However, Rangers would have two games in hand rather than the one they have at present.

Like Kilmarnock, St Mirren no longer have the threat of relegation hanging over them, following the 10-point penalty handed to Gretna for going into administration.

Buddies manager Gus MacPherson hopes the club and Mileson can come through this difficult time.

He said: "It's been well documented and everyone has talked about the players and their families that'll be hit by it.

"There's not many people that have mentioned Brooks and his wife and family and how they must be suffering. My thoughts are with them.

"Whatever happens to the football club will happen but there is a family suffering and it puts football where it should be - it's not the most important thing in the world when someone in a family is suffering.

"It is difficult times for the club but more importantly for Brooks' wife and his family."

The Black and Whites have been playing at Motherwell's Fir Park this season, with Raydale not meeting the SPL seating criteria.

Motherwell have already stated their wish to liaise with the administrators and Gretna between now and the end of the season in order to assist as much as possible

Is anyone else worrying about this game ? Its exactly the sort of game our big-shot stars will stroll into thinking its a done deal and they will meet with a team of players looking to teach the world a lesson. We better show no mercy.

As an aside, I noticed in the paper today Paul Lambert is opening a 'Celtic section' at Wycombe for their game against Chester to try and entice English-based tims to support the club. Maybe Hibs and Motherwell could get a section for Gretna home games to preserve their 9 points  ;D

Guest swaddon

Is anyone else worrying about this game ? Its exactly the sort of game our big-shot stars will stroll into thinking its a done deal and they will meet with a team of players looking to teach the world a lesson. We better show no mercy.

I wisnae worried until I read that.

Ptreey much fit I've been saying past couple of days, despite on Monday predicting a comfortable win for us. Just think Gretna will have so much to prove they'll be really fired up for this