Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Coronavirus

BigAl

Facts about covid-19

9 Many media reports of young and healthy people dying from Covid19 turned out to be false: many of these young people either did not die from Covid19, they had already been seriously ill (e.g. from undiagnosed leukaemia), or they were in fact 109 instead of 9 years old.

They link to 3 cases where that occurred (1 still tbc). That's not "many". That's a handful among thousands if you include the young lass in the UK too, which they didn't mention. So it isn't "a fact about covid-19" at all, it's misleading and inaccurate.

The biggest issue is that this article and the publisher are presenting themselves as an antidote to the inaccuracies of the mainstream media. If they're going to do that then they need to be beyond reproach and certainly not easily taken apart by the links they provide. I'm annoyed, because cunts like this are part of the problem. They need to do better. As I've said, like you, I think there's a story there. This isn't it. Hitchens seems a lot closer to the mark and a lot more careful with his claims.

And this is the bit from hitchens' otherwise excellent article that you linked a while back:

"Crucially, those who began by claiming that we faced half a million deaths from the Coronavirus in this country have now lowered their estimate.  Professor Neil Ferguson was one of those largely responsible for the original panic, claiming half a million people could die. He or others from Imperial college have twice revised his terrifying prophecy, first to fewer than 20,000 and then on Friday to 5,700"

They didn't revise the figures, the figures were with and without lockdown (or other, i.e.do nothing) measures, the 500k being if we did nothing. A hugely important distinction - massive difference - which I was surprised to read from someone as diligent as hitchens. The rest is good reading and thought provoking. I'm not anti hitchens at all, despite not agreeing with him on a lot of things. He makes his points properly and is light years away from the Tories in government despite sharing much of their ideology.

Starmer has just murdered Boris at PMQs again, as one sided as you can get.

What makes it harder to take is the fact he was voted into power, first by his party and then by the electorate.

The man is a clown, albeit a very dangerous clown who should not be anywhere near power. Labour should be exploting the current situation and hammering him and his party on their many failings.

Only reading a transcript from the Guardian but FFS the questions/ comments coming from the Tories compared to the opposition parties

1 Tory asks about a fucking steam railway

1 Tory asks what fuckwit thinks about the Hay-on-Wye Book festival going on line

Theres people dying, people living on the streets, and others soon to join them and these 'elected' officials waste their constituency's questions on that?

What makes it harder to take is the fact he was voted into power, first by his party and then by the electorate.

The man is a clown, albeit a very dangerous clown who should not be anywhere near power. Labour should be exploting the current situation and hammering him and his party on their many failings.

Whilst I totally agree, I think Starmer has won me round actually. A typical Scotsman (like me) would get the sledgehammer out and just batter the jolly japester jester to death. Keir is using fine scalpels to consistently remove pieces of the clown's flesh. His incisive line of questioning is razor-sharp and he exposes more and more of the empty one and his lack of substance in particular.

The letter from Starmer to BlowJob has just been responded to. Brilliant. He's got him on the ropes. BJ is finished already and given his lack of everything, has no chance of getting re-elected. It's a long game Starmer is playing here - unless a vote of no confidence can be had - and the scalpel approach is way more effective than the bludgeoning that certainly my own instinct favours.

Loving Starmer’s forensic approach, it’s perfect for these times, as he’s picking the Government’s approach apart. BoJo definitely on the ropes, the devolved nations have made him look like a right cunt. It wouldn’t be good to see a spike in deaths in 3 weeks, but politically it would be very interesting.

The Channel 4 special on South Korea is exposing the lack of leadership and the horrendous lack of intelligence within this Westminster government.

When Philip Schofield is shouting "Can't you see it's bonkers" at Hancock and the Cabinet minister's first response is "No" - because he genuinely can't think properly - then you know it can't get worse.

Loving Starmer’s forensic approach, it’s perfect for these times, as he’s picking the Government’s approach apart. BoJo definitely on the ropes, the devolved nations have made him look like a right cunt. It wouldn’t be good to see a spike in deaths in 3 weeks, but politically it would be very interesting.

Any easing of the lock down is going to lead to an increase in cases as is shown in Germany and South Korea. It is how that increase is managed that will be the difference. I have no doubt BoJo and his three ring circus will make a rip roaring cunt of it which will see deaths increase again.

Ferguson and the wifie who went to Elie had to resign but Jenrick didn't. This would be double standards if the rules were clear, which they might be if I bothered to log on to a dot gov website to read them which I haven't. I understood that we weren't allowed to visit folk back then and still can't, although we can meet one parent at a time in a park I think, which even Schofield described as utterly bonkers to Handcock.

They're fairly weak questions, they'll be easily batted off and ignored. They'll be gone by next week. They miss a fairly obvious question. Everyone else in Britain was under the impression that if you got sick, your child would isolate in the house with you and be in danger of contracting the illness and witness to your suffering and a bit neglected until you were better. Was it always government policy that you could ship your kids off to relatives when sick? Were the families of children who have since contracted the more serious - for kids - Kawasaki disease aware that they weren't obliged to put their kids in harm's way?

For me, these offences are small and require only an apology and remorse, similarly Ferguson and the Scottish wifie. I don't expect them to be infallible. Cummings hasn't shown even that. Fucking cretin.

Seems the Daily Mirror and Guardian have found witnesses saying he effectively did a small tour of the local area.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/23/new-witnesses-cast-doubt-on-dominic-cummingss-lockdown-claims

Yep. I just can’t see him surviving, even by this Governments standards, this will run for a while yet. If it reaches PMQs then Starmer will pick the bones out of it no problem.

They can’t tell people to self isolate for 7 days, and 14 for the whole household, just to go ahead and do their own thing.

It’s amazing BoJo is getting away with sending stooges to face the music every evening.

Well,the ugly dweeb should be arrested for looks alone,but tbh can we nae get away fae the constant finger pointing and discuss what our next options are.Weve a shite generation of politicians,we get it

Theres talk of a potential vaccine by September,but we cant pin our hopes on that since no vaccine has been found for any of the other Coronaviruses,eg Sars,Mers etc(just to cheer you up),and with talk of a second wave in Autumn - is another lockdown an option?,Others are saying the virus may have already peaked,we still don't really know the right thing to do,so where's the cut off point where the damage to the economy and normal life does more harm than the virus itself? Eg cancer/heart patients delayed treatments causing premature death,or the knock on effect in the third world causing starvation because our,and their Western reliant economies are in depression.

If all weve done is kept the virus at bay,and with scientific opinion being so fragmented,confronting and learning quickly how to live with it seems the less dangerous option to living in fear, if we can protect the vulnerable better than we have done,and develop smart systems of work.Whatever Boris and co decide to do, as much will depend how the public and businesses think on the hoof once restrictions ease? 

Well,the ugly dweeb should be arrested for looks alone,but tbh can we nae get away fae the constant finger pointing and discuss what our next options are.Weve a shite generation of politicians,we get it

Theres talk of a potential vaccine by September,but we cant pin our hopes on that since no vaccine has been found for any of the other Coronaviruses,eg Sars,Mers etc(just to cheer you up),and with talk of a second wave in Autumn - is another lockdown an option?,Others are saying the virus may have already peaked,we still don't really know the right thing to do,so where's the cut off point where the damage to the economy and normal life does more harm than the virus itself? Eg cancer/heart patients delayed treatments causing premature death,or the knock on effect in the third world causing starvation because our,and their Western reliant economies are in depression.

If all weve done is kept the virus at bay,and scientific opinion being so fragmented,confronting and learning quickly how to live with it seems the less dangerous option to living in fear, if we can protect the vulnerable better than we have done,and develop smart systems of work.Whatever Boris and co decide to do, as much will depend how the public and businesses think on the hoof once restrictions ease? 

Only an assumption here, but I believe that other COVID strains have never had a vaccine because it never hit the Western nations as bad as this COVID 19 strain has, so there will be more money and more importantly more of the the right research now being done looking into getting a virus vaccine, which I am sure they will at some point.

As for Cumming, even if they do sack him, he will still be pulling the strings behind the scenes anyway until a period of time lapses and he will be back in the fold once again. The bigger problem we have is Bojo, his terrible cabinet and the many millions who voted for him in December and still would if we went again.

Fucking impressive from Bojo last night. Top gaslighting. An entire nation. Trump couldn't have managed that one. Has anyone ever found that Russia investigation that got released just before the election?

Edit: it must be calculated though? To get the British public to properly ignore the lockdown and begin pursuing the herd immunity once again. Then blame them for the inevitable second waves. Expect a big attack on teachers in the coming days too when they fail to return on 1st June in engurland.