Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Friendly against Man U - 12th July

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149213&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149206&contentPK=20077219&folderPk=85709&pNodeId=149229

Sir Alex Ferguson has asked the Manchester United board to sanction an emotional return to Pittodrie in July to honour the Gothenburg Greats.

The Old Trafford team has agreed in principle to face Aberdeen in the north-east in July.

The testimonial game for the Dons team which won the European Cup-Winners' Cup in 1983 will be the highlight of a year of celebrations to mark the silver anniversary of the triumph over Real Madrid in Gothenburg.

The summer fixture must be ratified by the Manchester United directors before it can be formally confirmed.

The English club and the testimonial organisers both declined to comment last night but the Press andJournal understands an announcement, including a confirmed date, will be made next week if directors give their approval.

Ferguson has given his blessing to the game in honour of the team which upset the odds at the Ullevi Stadium in 1983 with a 2-1 win over the Spaniards courtesy of John Hewitt's dramatic late winner.

United's participation would guarantee a full house for the match, which will see Ferguson reunited with the players who gave him his first continental prize.

The imminent 25th anniversary has led the United manager to reflect on what he cites as his biggest achievement in the game.

Ferguson said: "When you look back I suppose it becomes bigger, because the problem of course with looking back is that Aberdeen at present are nothing like they were in that period.

"Scottish football first of all was pretty strong - Jim McLean at Dundee United took them to the semi-final of the European Cup and Aberdeen and Dundee United were really the strongest teams in Scotland for five years in a row.

"When you look back you say to yourself, 'How didI manage to beat BayernMunich who were the favourites and then beat Real Madrid in the final?'

"It was special becauseAberdeen was a small club. I just had two girls working for me in the office, the secretary, a couple of people were running the pools in anotheroffice, I had Archie Knox, my reserve coach and a physio-therapist and that was it."

The testimonial committee has been in talks with Man-chester United for months in an effort to finalise a friendly against Ferguson's current charges.

Proceeds from the package of events scheduled to run throughout this year will be shared between the 1983 squad after a donation has been made to the Aberdeen Football Club youth development programme.

The first confirmed event is a black tie gala dinner at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre on May 9. The following night the same venue will host a more informal dinner for fans.

On May 11, the 25th anniversary of the triumph, supporters will be able to join the players for a screening of the Gothenburg final.

A DVD is also being produced as well as a limited run of prints by artist Dod Dow.

Game against Man U, a Gala dinner for the fans and a commerorative DVD. Nae too shabby, would have fancied a game against Real instead but it will be a sellout at Pittodrie anayway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149213&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149206&contentPK=20077219&folderPk=85709&pNodeId=149229

Game against Man U, a Gala dinner for the fans and a commerorative DVD. Nae too shabby, would have fancied a game against Real instead but it will be a sellout at Pittodrie anayway.

release a DVD of the latest Euro adventure too

Why? We won one match. Do you think in 5 years time people will be saying "Let's watch the Dons getting pumped by Panathanaikos, Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich... those were the days".

we havent had a run in Europe like that and aways trips like that for years and if we are honest might not have another for quite a while. i'd buy it for the highlights of the Copenhagen and Bayern game alone.

Well lets be fair Robo, they have more chance of the treble than the Scousres have  :thumbsup:

Scousers or scousres?

On topic......Fair play to Aberdeen for getting Man U to come up and play them.........Real Madrid would have been better though :)

The first confirmed event is a black tie gala dinner at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre on May 9. The following night the same venue will host a more informal dinner for fans.

On May 11, the 25th anniversary of the triumph, supporters will be able to join the players for a screening of the Gothenburg final.

BTR anticipates a fun-filled birthday (Sat May 10th) weekend.  :AFC::beers::penalty::intheclub::stretcher:

A home game on the Saturday would be the icing on my cake.  :thumbsup:

we havent had a run in Europe like that and aways trips like that for years and if we are honest might not have another for quite a while. i'd buy it for the highlights of the Copenhagen and Bayern game alone.

Well, you usually get away trips when playing in Europe, it's the fairest way of doing it.

If you want memories of your away trips, you should have taken a camera with you...

Well, you usually get away trips when playing in Europe, it's the fairest way of doing it.

If you want memories of your away trips, you should have taken a camera with you...

It may be he canny, like many others, remember much about the games. Unless you're suggesting no drinking afore the game so you can mind it! :o;)

Little steps . . . .

Wouldn't have traded this season for anyone else's in the league.

Completely agree with you there (outwith the OF's). Just don't think a DVD is really necessary. I mean, if the market is there, by all means go for it. I personally wouldn't buy it. One victory in 8 matches...

Would rather they released Team of the Decade on DVD instead so I can sit of an evening watching it, drunk, bawling my eyes out...

Indeed.

Reaching brand new heights of mediocrity...

Grow Up, fair enough in most of our european games we have greatly over achieved, bearing in mind not many people gave us much of a chance after drawing dnipro. 

All people are saying is they hope the club gives them something to remember an extended european run by, something aberdeen hasnt had, and probably wont have for a long time.

Why shouldnt we look back fondly on matching teams of a vastly superior quality, with a much greater budget than ours? This season has given us some great memories, despite our terrible league form

Grow Up, fair enough in most of our european games we have greatly over achieved, bearing in mind not many people gave us much of a chance after drawing dnipro. 

All people are saying is they hope the club gives them something to remember an extended european run by, something aberdeen hasnt had, and probably wont have for a long time.

Why shouldnt we look back fondly on matching teams of a vastly superior quality, with a much greater budget than ours? This season has given us some great memories, despite our terrible league form

Have a day off man, seriously.

Indeed.

Or conversely, oh how the shitey have risen!  ;)

Well, for the thousands and thousands who are too young to remember Gothenburg first-hand, having a DVD of impressive draws against mighty teams like Dnipro and Bayern, not to mention comprehensively thrashing Danish champions FCK would be a quality addition to the AFC Shop merchandise.

If anything, that's probably the biggest money-spinner that the Dons haven't latched onto yet: DVDs. We only need to look at the sheer volume of copies that were sold of the Stand Free DVD from five years ago to realise there is an apetite there for buying a bit of the club's history on video!

Hell, even a season review would be bought by people like me who have lived away fae Scotland for so long and seen so few Dons matches as a result that we couldnae point to Andrew Considine if we tried!