Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Friendly against Man U - 12th July

Guest swaddon

Well, for the thousands and thousands who are too young to remember Gothenburg first-hand, having a DVD of impressive draws against mighty teams like Dnipro and Bayern, not to mention comprehensively thrashing Danish champions FCK would be a quality addition to the AFC Shop merchandise.

If anything, that's probably the biggest money-spinner that the Dons haven't latched onto yet: DVDs. We only need to look at the sheer volume of copies that were sold of the Stand Free DVD from five years ago to realise there is an apetite there for buying a bit of the club's history on video!

Hell, even a season review would be bought by people like me who have lived away fae Scotland for so long and seen so few Dons matches as a result that we couldnae point to Andrew Considine if we tried!

You're right. Would it kill the club to re-release all the old videos on DVD as well? That would raise some money for them. If Jack Webster's still alive, maybe he could do another Glory of Gothenburg DVD?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/532358

MAN U are to take on the Dons at Pittodrie on Saturday, July 12.

It will be confirmed today that Alex Ferguson’s United are coming north on that date for a glamour match to honour Aberdeen’s Gothenburg Greats.

The possibility of seeing United stars like Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez guarantees a sell-out crowd for the game.

It is also likely to be an emotional farewell to Pittodrie for Ferguson, manager of the Dons side which lifted the European Cup Winners’ Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 1983.

Ferguson also took United to Pittodrie in 1999 for Dons trainer Teddy Scott’s testimonial match, which was sold out within hours.

But this is likely to be his last official appearance at the ground, where he enjoyed so much success in his early days as a football manager.

The glamour match is the highlight of a series of events organised to mark the 25th anniversary of Aberdeen’s greatest triumph.

Aberdeen’s Exhibition and Conference Centre is staging three events in the lead-up to the actual anniversary, on May 11.

A formal dinner is being held on Friday May 9, with a less costly fans’ dinner organised for the following evening.

The majority of the 1983 squad will also be at the AECC on May 11 to see a video re-run of the game and take part in a question and answer session with fans.

Former Open golf champion Paul Lawrie is also hosting a golf tournament on September 4.

Dons legends Neil Simpson, John Hewitt, John McMaster and Peter Weir were in Spain at the weekend with some of the Club 83 members, who are helping to fund the celebrations.

Do I delay going away for the month of July to go to the game? Hmm...

I'll be going to neither.

12th July?  Both teams will barely be back into pre season training and it's about 2 mins after Euro 2008 finishes.  A waste of fucking time if you ask me.  Let the star gazers fill Pittodrie and ooo and ahh at the sight of Ronaldo.  I hope we charge £40 a ticket. ::)

I'll be going to neither.

12th July?  Both teams will barely be back into pre season training and it's about 2 mins after Euro 2008 finishes.  A waste of fucking time if you ask me.  Let the star gazers fill Pittodrie and ooo and ahh at the sight of Ronaldo.  I hope we charge £40 a ticket. ::)

I doubt very much he'll be playing. Will only be two weeks since the Euros had finished, would imagine he'll be given an extended break because of this. Same story for Tevez...

Oh well guess I'll be missing it for T in the Park. Awfully early for an English team to have a pre-season friendly but I suppose they'll be off to Asia or USA for the main part of their summer.

Sir Alex will no doubt do his best to make sure some of his big stars are playing.

The English ones will be alrite  ;)

Will hold off until they announce prices and who's playing for Man United (and us for that matter) before deciding if I am going to ditch Saturday tickets for T in the Park for this.

Agree with a few folk above that this is very early for a preseason game and would not bet against it being played at walking pace.