Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V Burnley

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that stood out last night was how technically superior most of the Burnley players are at passing the ball and getting it under instant control, much more so than we see in the SPFL. Their problem was a lack of creativity in the middle of the park and they were trying to find Wood much of the time who was particularly unimpressive, lacking speed and mobility as he did, much like Cosgrove.

They weren't good last night and I feel can only improve. We on the other hand defended really well and will get punished if and when the mistakes kick in. Just can't see us opening them up. Totally disagree with the assessments of Ball and Shinnie. They don't do enough in the middle of the park and look second rate footballers compared to them. Our only chances will need to come from some McGinn or GMS magic.

Biggest positive in the performance last night was effort and workrate. We were properly motivated, more so than their bodies allowed this early in the season.

Biggest positive in the performance last night was effort and workrate. We were properly motivated, more so than their bodies allowed this early in the season.

Hence why I picked Shinnie for motm, did a power of work and thundered into every challenge.

One thing that stood out last night was how technically superior most of the Burnley players are at passing the ball and getting it under instant control, much more so than we see in the SPFL. Their problem was a lack of creativity in the middle of the park and they were trying to find Wood much of the time who was particularly unimpressive, lacking speed and mobility as he did, much like Cosgrove.

They weren't good last night and I feel can only improve. We on the other hand defended really well and will get punished if and when the mistakes kick in. Just can't see us opening them up. Totally disagree with the assessments of Ball and Shinnie. They don't do enough in the middle of the park and look second rate footballers compared to them. Our only chances will need to come from some McGinn or GMS magic.

I thought one of the biggest positives last night, despite their goal, was the partnership between Devlin and McKenna. Looks like we have two good central defenders, when could we last say that. Last night was a game I was delighted OConnor wasn’t playing, and am glad we ended up keeping Ball - by no means a star man but a better midfielder than OConnor. Devlin also looks a real hard cunt and leader.

Agree on the creativity, as I’ve said before, think we may see forrester instead of Ferguson next week. Can’t remember which euro round it was in previous years where we had a poor first leg home game in terms of fitness then really improved away in the second. Hoping this is the case again.

Mr Campbell is not very popular with most Burnley fans - in fact quite often he is an embarrassment to the club.

I bet he doesn't even pay to get  in.

From what I've read, he doesn't represent what Burnley fans think. Typical of what the media thinks. Oh, and that kid on Burnley fan having his first pint in the sun  :rofl:

FWIW I believe Celtic would beat Burnley at home every time and absolutely smash them on occasion. Away from they'd only lose perhaps once every 3 games so I guess I'm agreeing with Gordon.

You might alter your opinion if you saw us at full strength with our two most skilful midfielders Steven Defour & Robbie Brady available. With those two, our away results against the Premier League "Top Five" last season were:

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

Spurs 1 Burnley 1

Liverpool 1 Burnley 1

Man City 3 Burnley 0

Man Utd 2 Burnley 2

Don't think Celtic would "smash" us at Parkhead - with a full-strength team I'd back us to get a draw. It was a long time ago but our last two results against Celtic in the Anglo-Scottish Cup were: Burnley 1 Celtic 0; Celtic 1 Burnley 2 (agg: 1-3). Celtic took 10,000 to the infamous "Battle of Turf Moor" in 1978, ripping up metal railings and using them as spears. Several police (and police dogs) were injured.

More recently, Burnley have played Rangers twice at Ibrox, winning 1-0 and 3-1 with an Andre Gray hat-trick.

I hope the Dons fans will see a much-improved Burnley - the Burnley of last season - in the return next week, but Defour & Brady will still be missing. If we get Ashley Barnes back it will be good - he is stronger and better than Wood and Vokes.

Wood was rubbish yesterday - don't know what was wrong with him although your 2 CHs played very well. Wood never looks like he contributes much unless he scores. In an injury-hit season last year, he hit 10 league goals in only 24 matches - with one goal every 161 minutes (a rate right up with some of the best strikers in the PL).

FWIW I believe Celtic would beat Burnley at home every time and absolutely smash them on occasion. Away from they'd only lose perhaps once every 3 games so I guess I'm agreeing with Gordon.

Are you basing it on one game - one where it was their first competitive game of the season and they've yet to make any significant signings?

I don't think we saw Burnley at anywhere near their best. Based on their performances last season, they'd have won the Scottish league. Maybe Celtic would have ran them close, but Celtic were not the standard of the top 10 of the EPL last season. Don't forget they got outclassed by Zenit who would struggle to be top 10 in England.

The tims on their day are capable of smashing most at the san giro.  Burnley would absolutely cause them problems though but enough about fucking celtic.  Ps burnleys hun results doesn't really count for shit, rangers died and the tribute act that followed have won fuck all and are a total mess.

I thought we did well to cause Burnley the problems that we did and whatever anyone wants to say this tie is absolutely fascinating.  Another early goal for Aberdeen would really set the cat amongst the pidgeons.  How do you think Dyche will approach the second leg claret? Go for the throat from the off or knowing we have to score try and hit us on the counter?  Also in the grander scheme of things what are your hopes for the season after such excellent final position last season? 

Given my recent health struggle the fact we got said decent result for our toil was a massive personal victory for me when arriving home at 7pm Friday.  I'd had some friends really question how much I wanted to attend last night.  Even if we'd lost heavily one needed to be there regardless.  Our silly thought process coupled with some unwanted anxiety did challenge yours truly although not as much as SeeBass predicted.  Bagged my souvenir scarf and programme which was something we deliberately focused on. Having one's brain injury from birth can make Mr Seymour go daft anytime.  Talking with this young Burnley fan (I'd say early twenties) on way back towards Bauhaus Hotel Lee claimed he never argued with any rival fan because he'd always supported GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM THAT HAS EVER LIVED!!!!!!!  God rest her soul but Mam forever found one's life wonderful due to the fact she had a disabled son that just did and said his own thing yet was so far out on his own..'that nobody could ever touch him.'   

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Lokomotiv Moscow, FC Copenhagen, Bayern Munich, Daugava Riga, Groningen, Shkendija, HNK Rijeka, Kairat Almaty, Sporting Circle Fola Esch, Ventspils, Maribor, Siroki Brijeg, Apollon Limassol AND BURNLEY have all failed to win at Pittodrie.  Spoke alongside another Dandy walking Merkland Street reciting all ten drawn matches including chronological order.  Looked amazed aforementioned Mancunian knew everything. 

I feel very proud of seeing only Sigma Olomouc then Real Sociedad beating us from seventeen European matches and even here it might be suggested there were mitigating circumstances plus a tad bad luck about those two losses.  Never believed we'd see one UEFA Cup game nevermind seventeen so I'll now go sleep peacefully knowing Thursday evening was for me and nobody else.         

Are you basing it on one game - one where it was their first competitive game of the season and they've yet to make any significant signings?

I don't think we saw Burnley at anywhere near their best. Based on their performances last season, they'd have won the Scottish league. Maybe Celtic would have ran them close, but Celtic were not the standard of the top 10 of the EPL last season. Don't forget they got outclassed by Zenit who would struggle to be top 10 in England.

No. I'm basing it on the fact that Celtic operate on a different level to anyone else in Scotland, have Champions league experience (and if they had access to the cash that English clubs have would do fairly well in it) and they have a decent manager with a squad that allows him to almost have 2 separate full teams, one to play the Champions League fixtures and top end SPFL games and another to face the SPFL diddy teams and cup matches. I stick to my assertation. They'd beat Burnley every time at the Dhimmery...

As said before Lancy......the Rangers of the era you beat them are dead and buried. They also got beaten by even worse teams than you lot in the Anglo-Scottish cup (i think Mansfield did them one year but the Scottish clubs only really used it as a training exercise for their fringe players).

Nice of you to think so but I doubt we would win the Scottish PL - the reason being Burnley rarely play well when we are favourites and expected to win. The underdog mentality suits us.

Even when we were 4th/5th last year, nearly every match the bookies had the opposition as favourites. Against a team like West Ham or, say, Southampton....they could be in the bottom three but the bookies would still have them to beat us. The bookies, experts, pundits whatever just look at the players' names and reputations in the respective squads.

I am not counting any chickens but if we DO manage to make the next round, we will be underdogs against the Turks - they have Turan, Adebayor, Clichy, Inler etc - so the bookies will have the Istanbul-ers as favourites. That is when I would expect Burnley to put in a GOOD performance doing themselves justice.

We may, or may not, scrape through next Thursday but I doubt we will play particularly well.

The tims on their day are capable of smashing most at the san giro.  Burnley would absolutely cause them problems though but enough about fucking celtic.  Ps burnleys hun results doesn't really count for shit, rangers died and the tribute act that followed have won fuck all and are a total mess.

I thought we did well to cause Burnley the problems that we did and whatever anyone wants to say this tie is absolutely fascinating.  Another early goal for Aberdeen would really set the cat amongst the pidgeons.  How do you think Dyche will approach the second leg claret? Go for the throat from the off or knowing we have to score try and hit us on the counter?  Also in the grander scheme of things what are your hopes for the season after such excellent final position last season?

I think Dyche will play it cautiously inviting Aberdeen to attack while hoping to grab a goal on the counter.

The longer Burnley do not concede, the more risks Aberdeen will have to take - weve won a fair few home matches 1-0 with late goals during Dyche's reign.

As for the league season, I expect a lower-placed finish but hope we'll stay well clear of the bottom three.

As for cups, we're generally rubbish or get a "killer" early draw. This season, for instance, in the FA Cup we got Man City away first up (lost 4-1 after leading 1-0 until the 65th minute). But our high finish last season means we are exempt until the last 32 of the League Cup this year - so if we get a favourable draw we could progress quite far in that.

I'll be satisfied (but not pleased) with a 17th-placed finish but we should be a few places higher.