Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V Burnley

My God, just when you think the English couldn't get any worse.

Bought and paid for by Sky TV.

This is a footballing nation that up until recently would have told you that the F.A. Cup was the most glamorous tournament in the world.

To want to give up on European competition to help get (just another) three points in the league is atrocious.

It'll be a happy happy day when it all comes crashing down.

And it will DD ;)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it does, will there be any real fans left?

When the corporates have turned to badminton or whatever.

When the money moves elsewhere what will the average English punter do?

Buy a Barcelona or Juventus strip or just watch Barnstoneworth United?

Hopefully it's Barnstoneworth but I wouldn't count on the youngsters doing that.

My God, just when you think the English couldn't get any worse.

Bought and paid for by Sky TV.

This is a footballing nation that up until recently would have told you that the F.A. Cup was the most glamorous tournament in the world.

To want to give up on European competition to help get (just another) three points in the league is atrocious.

It'll be a happy happy day when it all comes crashing down.

I know it's a sad state of affairs but just look at the clubs who "cheat" Financial Fair Play to get into the Premier League (Leicester, QPR and Bournemouth "cheated" and got away with it but lots of others have gambled and failed - Villa, Forest, Leeds, Blackburn etc).

Ask any PL owner (Burnley included) and they will say the league comes before any cup competition (except perhaps winning the Champions League). Mike Garlick is the Burnley chairman and he will settle for 17th place out of 20 every season. Anything above that is a bonus.

Sad but true.

As an aside, I know Aberdeen play Rangers in the first league game. Which would be better for most fans? Beating Rangers or advancing in the Europa League?

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I get where you are coming from Clancy.  The league is important, Europe is a bonus.

Most Dons fans would never accept us battling against relegation just because we had made it to the group stages of the Europa league...…..if our club falls below 4th in the league most would be pushing the panic button and wanting the manager gone.

To answer your question, I'd settle for beating the blues by just the one goal if it meant romping through to the next round of the Europa. As long as we hump them good and proper later on in the season obviously.  :thumbsup:

Not going to plan so far for Burnley. Plane they were due to fly up on "gone tech" ie f@cked. Not expected to arrive in ABZ before 9pm. Have cancelled press conference and also cancelled visit to Pittodrie that they were going to do on arrival.

Not going to plan so far for Burnley. Plane they were due to fly up on "gone tech" ie f@cked. Not expected to arrive in ABZ before 9pm. Have cancelled press conference and also cancelled visit to Pittodrie that they were going to do on arrival.

I'm not sure Burnley were planning to visit Pittodrie anyway...they had a training session at Burnley this morning.

Knowing Burnley's tight-fistedness, the plane was probably a 1950s De Haviland Comet. ;)

I'm not sure Burnley were planning to visit Pittodrie anyway...they had a training session at Burnley this morning.

Knowing Burnley's tight-fistedness, the plane was probably a 1950s De Haviland Comet. ;)

It wasnt a training session just planned to visit the ground.

And was mentioned on the official Burnley FC website....

The story is also in the Lancashire Telegraph

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

You can get 4/1 on the Dons to win tonight with one bookie giving 7/1 on them to qualify for the next round.

Hate to be a pessimist but not rushing to put my hard earned savings on that.  :-\

As kick off gets closer, I’m starting to feel moderately optimistic that we might just turn them over tonight. It’s not like we’re playing Liverpool or Chelsea where our young team might be like rabbits in the headlights, in awe of their opponents. This is a team from the premier league who’ve over-performed recently, and they won’t necesserily fancy coming here for a midweek game. It all points to a narrow dons win, probably 1-0.

In

South

Wan nil

Rooney Cosgrove

Coyr!  :AFC2:

Seem to recall a similar level of arrogance from Bayern in 2008. Didn't they turn up to Pittodrie in their kits, in time for the warm up and leave in their kits after a warm down.

"Similar level of arrogance"? Dyche and his players visited Pittodrie (pitch and changing rooms) this morning. Did not go last night because of the plane's late arrival and they had not eaten.

Many things you can say about Dyche but arrogant is not one of them.  Personally I have found the whole approach from Burnley toward playing a Scottish team very respectful.

Totally agree,and most of the Burnley fans have been quite modest if anything.Whole build up has been quite low key too.

Not usually ready for fitba at this time of year,but its quite an intriguing tie,totally unpredictable.  COYR