Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V Burnley

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devlin m.o.m. for me, Ball, McGinn and GMS not far behind.

Bad goal to lose, McKenna got a bit bullied by Vokes, seemed to lose sight of the ball.

Overall draw probably a fair result, can't see us progressing now but would be delighted if the boys can prove me wrong

Both teams missed chances, both keepers had one big save. Thought the two chances/cut backs at the start of the second half were missed by the poor movement of the inexperienced and youthful Cosgrove and Ferguson.

Toban did a decent job too, tough time with Lennon in the first half but tactics fixed that in the second. A week of training, hopefully Gleeson and Forrester fully fit, and game on!

Burnley are the better team and will dominate possession as they did tonight. We're actually not a bad counter attacking team though, you never know next week.

Well that was gutting to concede, but to be fair, we had ample opportunities to prevent it, Wood wins first header, Vokes takes a horrendous first touch, but to be fair to him, he rescued it well and buried it.

Plenty of positives, some really nervous strikes at goal, from Logan & McGinn in particular, but they both played well. Cosgrove was very good, he held the ball up when he had too and got an effort or two on goal. He is a handful. GMS was full of energy, but for me, he pissed about too much with fancy footwork when there was an easier pass available.

Overall, thought we did very well, up against a solid, organised, fit team. You could see they upped the tempo 2nd half, but still didn't really cause too many problems, although when Vokes came on, we struggled to cope. He changed the game for them in terms of being more useful than Wood was.

I do believe we can score down there, but need 90 minutes of sheer concentration & maybe a little bit more imagination than some of the aimless passes that crept in to the game heavily around half way through the 2nd half.

Great all round performance until the subs were made imo.  I know we needed to make them but we lost our shape then.  No coincidence that Vokes changed the game either.  Very good player.  Almost looked like it surprised the team, which it shouldn't have.  That save from Lewis though  :o

I would have taken a draw before the game, gutted to have held out so long but probably the right result.  Keeps it nice and interesting for next week, certainly all to play for and nothing to fear.

Well that was gutting to concede, but to be fair, we had ample opportunities to prevent it, Wood wins first header, Vokes takes a horrendous first touch, but to be fair to him, he rescued it well and buried it.

Plenty of positives, some really nervous strikes at goal, from Logan & McGinn in particular, but they both played well. Cosgrove was very good, he held the ball up when he had too and got an effort or two on goal. He is a handful. GMS was full of energy, but for me, he pissed about too much with fancy footwork when there was an easier pass available.

Overall, thought we did very well, up against a solid, organised, fit team. You could see they upped the tempo 2nd half, but still didn't really cause too many problems, although when Vokes came on, we struggled to cope. He changed the game for them in terms of being more useful than Wood was.

I do believe we can score down there, but need 90 minutes of sheer concentration & maybe a little bit more imagination than some of the aimless passes that crept in to the game heavily around half way through the 2nd half.

We were too long ball and I think Ferguson wasn't too involved. A fully fit Forrester starting next week may help with the creativity.

Just home and gutted. Probably more gutted than if we had got beat 3-1.

A very fair result but for so long, we looked like we could win it. Not cos we were brilliant but they couldn't open us up for two reasons; they lacked imagination and skill in the final third and we were defensively very solid... until their goal... which was inexplicably conceded when we had two bodies to one challenging for a loose slow ball in the middle of the box. The boy took it well though and smashed it home.

Big concern for me going forward is where the goals are going to come from?

Them singing England stuff was unnecessary and sickening.

1-0 to the Sunday League was brilliant as was you're just a shite Blackburn Rovers.

McKenna was immense in the first half but he needs to concentrate for the full 90 if he's going to succeed.

Best moment for me was before kick off when a stand free belted out. This guy in the row in front had his two wee daughters and the beautiful wee blond one (probably about 7) caught my eye when she sang we don't give a fuck, at the precise moment when she went "fuck". Her smile was sparkling, like she knew it was a bad word but knew I wouldn't mind as it wiz pouring out my mouth inna.

So warm and close tonight, I suggested to the guy next to me at HT that they should open the windies in here. His blankness and failure to register was an image to behold.

Aye, it was a good game, close to a very good game. We were probably unlucky as they didn't create that much, but then neither did we I suppose. At least I can justify going down to the away leg, even though we don't stand much chance. Top marks to Devlin, Ball, Logan, GMS, McGinn and Cosgrove. Thought Gleeson was poor when he came on, but a difficult game to come into in that position. McInnes was right to make the early sub too, with Ferguson a little niaive at times in positioning and possession, but he looks a find. Worrying that Forrester wasn't deemed good/fit enough tonight. From the Red TV viewing of the WBA game my impression was that he wasn't going to provide the coverage that we require of our midfielders, but perhaps that will just rule him out of games like these where we need to sit deeper. Peter Tobin looked okay at left back and was strangely better on his left foot than his right, but got his body in the wrong position several times, which I suppose is understandable given he's on the wrong side.

Not sure what we do next week. Without a striker, or a high pressing midfielder we'll struggle.

Peter Tobin looked okay at left back and was strangely better on his left foot than his right, but got his body in the wrong position several times, which I suppose is understandable given he's on the wrong side.

His positioning was a bit criminal at times but give him a chance and I'm sure he will get that Killer touch back

For all the people who think Hoban had a tough night, my feelings are Considine would have been worse. 2nd leg i’d like to see Shinnie at left back. Ball was solid in the middle, with two from Gleeson Ferguson and forrester. The fact we need to score we may see the flair of forrester ahead of Ferguson, no did on Ferguson though, he’s a real find.

Also ridiculous to think Westwood, wood, cork, and Hendrick cost a combined 40 million.

Aye, it was a good game, close to a very good game. We were probably unlucky as they didn't create that much, but then neither did we I suppose. At least I can justify going down to the away leg, even though we don't stand much chance. Top marks to Devlin, Ball, Logan, GMS, McGinn and Cosgrove. Thought Gleeson was poor when he came on, but a difficult game to come into in that position. McInnes was right to make the early sub too, with Ferguson a little niaive at times in positioning and possession, but he looks a find. Worrying that Forrester wasn't deemed good/fit enough tonight. From the Red TV viewing of the WBA game my impression was that he wasn't going to provide the coverage that we require of our midfielders, but perhaps that will just rule him out of games like these where we need to sit deeper. Peter Tobin looked okay at left back and was strangely better on his left foot than his right, but got his body in the wrong position several times, which I suppose is understandable given he's on the wrong side.

Not sure what we do next week. Without a striker, or a high pressing midfielder we'll struggle.

I wouldn’t say we don’t stand a chance. We defended very well for much of the night, and we had chances just like they did. I thought we were very well organized. I think a fit and experienced Gleeson and forrester will help us, hoping the latter brings the central creativity we lacked tonight. Ferguson has been excellent preseason to date but tonight showed his age. Also think Shinnie at left back will help us.

While cosgrove battles we really do need a legit and experienced striker. Still, the big man gave them a torrid night  and did give them a ton of grief. I can see him getting fouls, free kicks, penalties that others can feed off, why not next Thursday too.

Maybe 60/40 in Burnley's favour now - Aberdeen have to score at least one goal next Thursday.

Our chances will be improved massively if Ashley Barnes is fit - he is more robust and physical than Vokes or Wood - and was our best striker last season.

I think Dyche will play it tight and invite Aberdeen to attack, then hoping to hit Dons on the counter but knowing a goalless draw will be enough to go through.

My prediction: Burnley 1 Aberdeen 0 (agg: 2-1)

or Burnley 1 Aberdeen 1 (Aberdeen win 4-3 on pens).

Superb performance from the Dons last night. Burnley applied a lot of pressure in the second half but Aberdeen did well against them. I was disappointed with May's performance when he came on but every player gave their all for the jersey.

The away match should be a cracker and once again we will be expected to lose it but I have a feeling a shock is on the cards.

Prediction for the second leg..... Burnley 0 Aberdeen 1  :thumbsup:

Don't think May can be criticised for his performance when the team continued the same tactics as when Cosgrove was on.....high balls aimed in his general direction just isn't his game. He needs the ball into feet or played into space behind the defenders. He played one fantastic pass into Wright which would have had him through on goal had he not somehow managed to fall over his own feet.

More worrying is that Cosgrove suffered cramp after only 65 minutes or so. Sure he was plying a lone furrow up top but that suggests a lack of conditioning.

Don't think May can be criticised for his performance when the team continued the same tactics as when Cosgrove was on.....high balls aimed in his general direction just isn't his game. He needs the ball into feet or played into space behind the defenders. He played one fantastic pass into Wright which would have had him through on goal had he not somehow managed to fall over his own feet.

More worrying is that Cosgrove suffered cramp after only 65 minutes or so. Sure he was plying a lone furrow up top but that suggests a lack of conditioning.

I think Cosgrove was maybe told to go down to give time to get the sub on. He was definitely slowing though, but put in a ton of work. Given that was our first competitive match of the season too, it was a lot to expect of him. You're right about May, the passing was pretty aimless by that point in the game as the players tired. Also, by that point the midfield had stopped providing any support whatsoever. His pass to Wright was just slightly behind him so he had to check his run causing him to slip, but it was close to being good. He was also unlucky with one where he tried to lift it over the defender (then spuriously claimed for hand ball), which he did well to get to. I think that, as an impact sub, he's a little bit 100mph headless chicken as if he's trying too hard but hopefully that'll improve with more game time. Still need another striker though, obviously.

Superb performance from the Dons last night. Burnley applied a lot of pressure in the second half but Aberdeen did well against them. I was disappointed with May's performance when he came on but every player gave their all for the jersey.

The away match should be a cracker and once again we will be expected to lose it but I have a feeling a shock is on the cards.

Prediction for the second leg..... Burnley 0 Aberdeen 1  :thumbsup:

Stick a "tenner" on it - you'll  get great odds on that prediction. :smile:

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

That was good stuff last night, only disappointment was conceding the away goal but good to still be in the tie for the away leg.

Seems like the team has gone full circle in the last couple of years from scoring hatfuls of goals and being dodgy at the back to now looking pretty solid defensively but you wonder where the goals are gonna come from.

Devlin looks like he can play, GMS you feel has the potential to be a real star for us.  Up front, Cosgrove is a real handful.

In the SPL we need to get Cosgrove and May in the team together and give them a real run of games to see whether it can work.  Stevie May must realise he has to do it this season or he is offski.

Good debate on radio Scotland last night when I got back in the car between Richard Gordon and Billy Dodds as to how good Burnley are compared to Celtic.  Richard Gordon thinks Celtic would beat them 7 or 8 times out of 10, Dodds not so sure and not convinced Celtic would manage to finish 7th in the English Prem.  Certainly last night the Dons did not play the way they do against Celtic and showed much less fear in their game.

Shinnie motm for me, led by example throughout. Very proud of the whole teams performance, pity we couldn’t hold on.  :frown:

Pittodrie was beautiful last night, packed, noisy, emotional.... it all added up to a fitting tribute to Neale Cooper. Had a wee tear in my eye during the Norther Lights.

As usual I though McInnes spoke well after the game, as did Sean Dyche (or Greg Dyke, as the fella next to me kept calling him  :rofl:)

Good debate on radio Scotland last night when I got back in the car between Richard Gordon and Billy Dodds as to how good Burnley are compared to Celtic.  Richard Gordon thinks Celtic would beat them 7 or 8 times out of 10, Dodds not so sure and not convinced Celtic would manage to finish 7th in the English Prem.  Certainly last night the Dons did not play the way they do against Celtic and showed much less fear in their game.

The Tims are a significantly better football team than Burnley. Burnley are, however, massive units. They're a bunch of roided superfit fucks, but they really weren't particularly nice footballers. They didn't have the technical skills or movement of likes of Sociedad or even Kairat but they're absolute beasts. Thon Vokes is bigger and stronger than any player that McKenna, Devlin or even Shinnie will have played against before. Being in "the best league in the world" didn't prevent their midfielder passing the ball straight back out of play from a throw or their right back - who was absolutely pap - launching it away in a panic when under slight pressure. They might indeed be able to beat the tims (the sum of Dodds and Miller's "argument" was that "they play in England, they finished 7th"), but by fuck they're brutal. If that's what £119M of prize-winnings gets you these days then I'll happily stick to watching players getting paid £2K per week.

Really enjoyable evening with the draw a fair result.  We tired quite a lot 2nd half & they got stronger. Burnley's goal should have been avoided, bit of a mix up between the impressive Devlin & McKenna.

Best atmosphere i have heard at Pittodrie for years, the old lady was rocking.

Thought all our new signings did well & actually Dom Ball was my m.o.t.m.

Cosgrove was very good & won so many knockdowns in the air, he really needs someone alongside, tired badly 2nd 45,as did quite a few others.

They had a few cracking players , Lennon was a real handfull & ive always rated that Sam Volkes,big unit.

Happy enough we are still in it, before my trip down there next week.

C.o.y.r :thumbsup: