Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Patrick v AFC

He's had some pretty awful games at left back when deployed there randomly every so often rather than every week (he was ace there when he played that role every week of course). Similar happened a couple of seasons back when he played there against the tims and had to be shifted into centre mid with Considine moving left after about half an hour. I'm guessing that losing 3 goals had a lot to do with him not being in midfield too. Tansey and McLean both great passers of the ball and don't shirk the challenges generally, but don't have the in-your-face work-rate of Shinnie. That said, it's nae a bad position to be in, and it's good that Shinnie is willing to move to left back when required. His best position is the one he's playing in every week I suppose. I'd say that's left back, but in our team it's centre mid.

McLean doesn't shirk challenges?

My god, I've heard it all now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to be popular view but was at the match and thought that for the first while Shinnie looked like a fish out of water at left back.

Best on the day for us in my humble opinion Wright (in flashes), Tansey, Stewart and McLean in parts.

complete and utter roller coaster of a game, but an important three points.

Definite shove in the back for the penalty, needless action by Thistle player thought and Madden who was his usual useless self took an eternity to give it.

Agree with you Al. Shinnie was poor today, as he was last week.  Cost us the second goal, and could have cost us more with loose passing.

Wright was good because he was direct - something GMS fails to do.  Wright attacked the space which is exactly how Hayes played for us.  Christie was also good. 

We played some great stuff at times, but are absolutely brutal at the back.  Not sure what Arnason has done wrong, but if he's not getting a game when we're defending as badly as that, it's not a great reflection on him. Thought Lewis could have come for at least one of the two corners which led to their 3rd.

Should have had a penalty early on too.  Thought Stewart showed a lot of good touches but when he's looking up his teammates aren't making a lot of movement for him. He could be a real playmaker for us. 

Stevie May's movement and general enthusiasm is brilliant to see. 

But the second best thing about our winning goal was that it was brilliantly scored by Rooney.  He's had a lot of moronic shite levelled at him but his performance and his finish today showed why we'd be foolish to bin him. ROOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEEYYYYYY!!!  :ultras: :ultras:

All over the shop again at the back, have to assume Arnason is nowhere near match fitness.  Team still looks unbalanced, May appeared to be playing the Adam Rooney wide left role, but a win is a win.

Thank god we have Ryan Christie and Scott Wright needs to start every game. Might be me but Greg Stewart looks about a stone overweight.

Oh and bin Mclean another shiter of a performance

Only saw the highlights,but fair play to McInnes for ringing some unexpected changes.Good to see Wright get a start,and justify his inclusion,hopefully starts regularly if GMS or Stewart dont pull their finger out.

Interested to see how the new defensive formation works out.Going by yesterday,it'll take a while to settle in,Shinnies a bit rusty,and Considine slowly grows into roles.In the process,looks like we might concede a few,but if were scoring a few more.... :thumbsup:

Only saw the highlights,but fair play to McInnes for ringing some unexpected changes.Good to see Wright get a start,and justify his inclusion,hopefully starts regularly if GMS or Stewart dont pull their finger out.

Interested to see how the new defensive formation works out.Going by yesterday,it'll take a while to settle in,Shinnies a bit rusty,and Considine slowly grows into roles.In the process,looks like we might concede a few,but if were scoring a few more.... :thumbsup:

I just don't see OConnor and Considine as an upgrade from OConnor and Reynolds. Sorry, but Andy is average at best and has benefitted from Hayes helping him out in recent years. I also think our midfield is better with Shinnie in there. I think Tansey has been good and I'd pair him with Shinnie and either Stewart or Christie ahead of them. I hope Arnie is the solution but 5 goals in 4 games conceded to most likely all bottom 6 teams is not good enough, and the top 6 teams will hurt us.

I agree what youre saying,though I dont think Andy will need Hayes so much at CB.Willing to see how they get on,though i dont think theres enough of a presence,or air of confidence with those 2 but we'll see.A fit Arnie and Oconnor sounds more appealing.

Also prefer Shinnie in midfield,but giving Tansey more responsibility might bring him on.Like what Ive seen of Tansey.Might have to endure a few weeks of awkward performances til we get the right combos

I think the reliance on Hayes by Considine is overstating it massively. Most of his defending is done hard up against the winger, which is where he's best. Regardless of Hayes being there or not, if he gives a player a chance to turn and run at him out wide, he'll have difficulty. It'll be interesting to see what we do after the international break. I didn't see too much in the highlights that suggested our centre halves were dodgy at the weekend, with May and McLean losing their men at set-pieces and Shinnie making a woeful pass for the first. It seemed that the general tinkering caused us more issues than the individuals themselves, so perhaps a couple of weeks in whatever McInnes decides as his back line will do us good. The quandary is definitely the left side of defence though, and Arneson doesn't solve that issue unfortunately. That said, the defence we have of Logan, O'Connor, Reynolds and Considine has proved that it's good enough to beat any teams at SPL level outside Celtic, and I think we just need to go with it - at least until January. I think McInnes does need to pick a settled back line though.

Also, that pass from McLean and shot by Christie was top class. If that had gone in, it'd have been goal of the season material.