Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scottish Cup Final - Dons vs Tims

If you would allow and acknowledge facts and data to make a contribution here, Lewis made zero saves in the first half.

Nor did he need to.

Gordon on the other hand, made a hatful.

The "second goal for them was coming" attitude you expressed is why it did.

Loser mentality never won fuck all. McInnes never won fuck all.

And before any boring bastard points out that 43,000 of us at Red Parkhead saw a "win", get a fucking grip.

No loser mentality bud.

82,83,84,86,90 - I was at every final mate. Seen my team lift cup many a time.

All great teams lose final. Us today and Chelsea. That's they way it goes.

We gave our all - it wasn't enough. But I walked out of Hampden with my head high knowing players gave everything.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No anger in defeat from me. I was delighted with performance of players. We came, took Celtic on and contributed to a fantastic final.

The second goal for them was coming long long before O'Conner came on or Rooney.

Did you see amount saves Lewis made?

We unfortunately lack that little bit of class and clinical approach of 80's. They have top players to come on like Rogic.

I enjoyed today. No sour grapes from me. Simply delighted players come of final with huge respect as lots people thought it would be a walkover.

We showed we are a good all round team.

Very true^^^

I was shouting for McGinn to get tae fuck.he was his bare minimum today again.i was watching him as he stood off the play on our left wing as they attacked on numerous occasions.it was so blatant.

As said already, he should've been off for Wright around 55 minutes.

I wouldn't have started him at all. DM is far far too nice to some players.Rooney included.storey would've contributed more than Rooney as a sub IMO.

However, we were brilliant.we beat them for 70 mins.

Hayes pass to McLean was a shocker and not mcleans miss. At that point I said we wud absolutely rue that chance.

brown got away with some blatant fouls again

We needed someone to keep possession and give our knackered players a rest.i think storey or wright runnin into corner flags would've done this who knows.

It's so hard to keep that standard up against a Celtic team with their resources.

Gutted but very proud of the performance and was a cracking game to watch.

No loser mentality bud.

82,83,84,86,90 - I was at every final mate. Seen my team lift cup many a time.

All great teams lose final. Us today and Chelsea. That's they way it goes.

We gave our all - it wasn't enough. But I walked out of Hampden with my head high knowing players gave everything.

Rightly so, especially the last bit but i think mcinnes fucked the McGinn sub. Wrong call at the wrong time. These things happen but a common occurrence with him. Shame, the team were generally fantastic today. As we're the fans

Yeah, well to be honest he (mcinnes ) is not known for his substitutions. Plus they have dembele, kolo toure, sviachenko and rogic to bring on as subs. We don't have anywhere near that quality of player as a sub.

McGinn has always it seems to me flattered to deceive in big games. Its probably why he has 50 caps for northern Ireland as an impact sub.

It was a very close outcome of result - probably just matter of quality. He brought in O'Conner as we were being overrun in midfield. 20 min period they were knocking on door.

After match McInnes directly said in the interview with sportsound at FT our wage bill for the whole 1st team squad is £42k per week. So they're on £2k a week on average.

We've 10k season ticket holders. They've 45k season ticket holders.

We are punching above our weight achievement wise this season.

Stockley is far more effective than Rooney - same as goodwillie was. Both of them (goodwillie and stockley) are awkward for defenders simply by being ungainly - Rooney isn't really. He is just good for tap ins.

Best thing next season is use stockley as target man - it works.

Best thing next season is use stockley as target man - it works.

I really hope we don't go down this route, unless we develop a system where we partner him with someone with a bit of pace. I don't think I can remember us having a striker as slow and immobile as Stockley, maybe Zdrillic or D'Jaffo, but we don't want to go back to that days.

SO we got patted down today on the way into stadium in case we were carrying any explosives, don't agree with it, but not going to argue with it today, but then the wife just walks through as no female stewards to do the checking which is a bit of a flaw in their fight against terrorism, either that or terrorists are males only?!?  :confused:

Just back and gutted is an understatement. The best tactical move today was for Celtic with our decision to sub McGinn for O'Connor, whcih backfired in my opinion and was no real surprise, we needed pace at that point and from then we just sat back and let them come at us, which we all know they thrive on. I have read that some thought we were on our arses after 70 minutes, but I suspect our tactics at this point had far more to do with it rather than the energy levels of our players, just my opinion though.

I thought we played really well and gave them a game until the point McGinn came off, which didn't sadden me as he wasn't in the game much, but we really should have had PP or Wright on to offer us more pace and energy.

We played well and had some good chances, but didn't take them and I hope McLean has nightmares for his miss in the second half for years to come, I know I will.

The manager is going to have his work cut out during the summer trying to reshape this team/squad and hope that we don't see any major bids come in for Shinnie or Lewis, as losing these two will fuck us right up.

A sickening way to lose a match, but we were architects of our own downfall at the end IMO.

By the way, can Stockley actually run?  He makes Rooney look like Usain Bolt and didn't like chasing the ball much.

:(

Excellent post, completely agree with everything said. 

I have played that chance over and over in my head on the 6 hour trip home and it's so raw.  Gutted doesn't even come close to how I feel.  I'm just glad I was at Ibrox last week and can occasionally distract myself with remembering Shinnie running through on goal (it was great to see you too Manc btw :thumbsup:). 

Not seen Stockleys elbow yet (i just can't face watching it back yet) but I've been told it looked like he meant it.  Don't know about anyone else I'm starting to get pretty sick of this.  He's becoming quite a liability regardless of his increasingly useful contributuons.  A red card at that point would have been game over.

I would add that Taylor had by a mile his best performance in an AFC shirt.

Heartbroken but so proud of the team today.

We gave our all. Wasn't to be.

As others have said, taking off Niall was a mistake. He's a great out ball and was always good at holding play up and bringing others into play. Really hope it's not the end of an era as this team is going places.

Just watched the "highlights" on the BBC website, which hardly did the game justice at all, but anyway, what a poor goal to lose the game too. Nae sure Shay was at fault for the first, didn't think he expected the shot, think it was just good play by Armstrong. Johnnys goal was class, but his pass to McLean was poor. We also didn't get to see the incident with Stockley, still convinced there was no intent on his part, but only basing it on seeing Stockley facing me when it happened meaning he wouldn't have known the loon was behind him when he jumped.

For me the Stockley incident was never intent and it actually looked quite soft.

Suspected broken jaw my erse.he has a mouth made of glass if that's the case.

Think Logan cut out the left side as he knew defenders were inside him to cover the right.Armstrong was very lucky to get that ball past Shay.I even think it skiffed Shay's leg.

I'm going to be controversial and say that, even though Lewis kept us in the game no doubt, I actually thought both goals were poor goalkeeping.

:-\

Celtic were at least a couple of bookings short in that game.Brown being the obvious one again.

Taking McGinn off was the right thing to do. Sending O'Connor on wasn't. We needed to maintain width, they were playing McGregor as a makeshift left back and the only time we pressured him was when Hayes stole the ball from him for the horror show miss with McLean. Rooney ended up covering that area of the pitch where he's completely ineffective. We lost our counter attacking ability there and then.

I may be alone but I think McLean is more to blame than Hayes for the miss. He should have halted his run to give himself a bigger angle to receive the ball and give Hayes a static target to pass the ball to. Hayes was expecting him to stop running but he kept going. Either way, McLean should be responsible for pointing where he wanted the ball to be played.

Shite way to lose a final.

Hayes' goal deserved to win the game.

Substitutions changed it and not in our favour.

Lewis beaten at his near post, poor.

Properly gutted.

Take Armstrong and Sinclair out of that side and they are average.

Taking McGinn off was the right thing to do. Sending O'Connor on wasn't. We needed to maintain width, they were playing McGregor as a makeshift left back and the only time we pressured him was when Hayes stole the ball from him for the horror show miss with McLean. Rooney ended up covering that area of the pitch where he's completely ineffective. We lost our counter attacking ability there and then.

I may be alone but I think McLean is more to blame than Hayes for the miss. He should have halted his run to give himself a bigger angle to receive the ball and give Hayes a static target to pass the ball to. Hayes was expecting him to stop running but he kept going. Either way, McLean should be responsible for pointing where he wanted the ball to be played.

Agree with most of this. In fairness to McLean, I think he thought Hayes was going to shoot and made the decision to run in on the keeper for the rebound at the moment Hayes played the pass (which was over-hit too). If that was Rogic or Griffiths (and not Hayes), they'd have been passing that in the bottom corner. I'm really surprised Hayes didn't take it on.

Also, like 100%K, I understand why he took O'Connor on for McGinn. Shinnie and McLean were really tiring and they were beginning to run through us. What I don't understand is why he chose to address this issue, but ignore the others. At 80 minutes we were throwing ourselves into last-ditch challenges and riding our luck completely. The goal was inevitable, and it would have only been through luck if we avoided it. McInnes should have seen this and taken matters into our hands by making another sub. Even just to slow the game down and change the shape a little so the Tims had something to think about. McLean and Hayes were breathing out their airses. I'd have taken McLean off for Pawlett or Wright for some fresh running for the last 8-10 minutes. By not doing this, he's effectively saying that a 70% fit McLean (at that point) is better than 100% fit Pawlett/Wright. I don't think that's acceptable. It's a question of weighing up risk, and the risk of them scoring was huge at that point. Whereas the risk of taking on a squad player with fresh legs is negligible at best. It's very unlikely that that individual will lose us a goal, but would go considerably further to helping us avoid one than a struggling starter.

I've said it before about McInnes that he is very reactive with his subs. He waits and waits and rarely makes the changes required at the right times. Bringing on Wright after the goal was an embarrassment. You have to be proactive and positive in these situations or you end up losing.

However, his decision to play Jack was the correct one, he was very good yesterday. Gave his all and was clearly gutted when that goal went in. Here's hoping he joins some English team next season so he can go with our best wishes.

Anyway, a cracking effort from the team.

Spot on Slim.  Was easy for McLean to make it easy for Hayes to find him, but he didn't do it.  Would expect better quality from Jonny in that situation too but McLean didn't help him.  McLean then lying on the ground as Celtic attacked didn't help much either.

That was heartbreaking yesterday, will take a long while to get over that one.  Can't fault the players work ethic. I'm no fan of his but that was Taylor's best game in a Dons shirt, just defended, didn't try to play football and did well.

Just saw the photo of McGinn from after the game and found it quite hard to take, the guy was in bits, just how the rest of us felt afterwards.

I woke up early this morning with the whole game playing in my head which just feels like torture at the moment!

Magic play from our team,  awesome display and support from the fans  :thumbsup:

I think the sub of McGinn ended up giving Celtic a boost and didn't work in our favour at all - I just wish McInnes could have been brave enough to have a go in the last 10 mins - that's what cup finals are for!!

I can't really put into words how I feel, don't want to criticise as it was a fantastic effort and we really have had a great season, just a pity there's no trophy to show for it

SO we got patted down today on the way into stadium in case we were carrying any explosives, don't agree with it, but not going to argue with it today, but then the wife just walks through as no female stewards to do the checking which is a bit of a flaw in their fight against terrorism, either that or terrorists are males only?!?  :confused:

That was aderdeen plods policy back when i was a student. If you had anything you werent supposed to and the cops were in the vicinity all u had to do was give it to any lady in your group as there were never any police women.

The cops can also be 'selective'. Recall queuing up at the rds and for some reason cops were searching everyone. I got to the front and they just waved me through. Id just come from uni and hadnt really been thinking too clearly but when i got to my seat i went to get my phone out of my rucksack and clocked the following

2 stanley knives

2 scalpels with pack of spare blades

my swiss army knife

fairly sharp steel ruler

can of fairly toxic spray glue

hammer

screwdriver

We are shadwell!  :o

The couple of guys in front of me got patted down but when I stepped up and held my arms out wide he just nodded me through - must have an honest face!

Cannot believe anyone is saying McLean isn't to blame for that chance when, to play the only ball that would have ended up in the back of the net, he gave Hayes about 2° to aim for at the exact pace it needed to be.

Typical McLean hiding.

Cannot believe anyone is saying McLean isn't to blame for that chance when, to play the only ball that would have ended up in the back of the net, he gave Hayes about 2° to aim for at the exact pace it needed to be.

Typical McLean hiding

Horseshite. Look at it again on the BBC highlights, particularly the second replay. There's a massive gap for Hayes to play into, and he blatantly plays it behind McLean. At the game, I thought McLean had run too far, but there's at least 1 metre or more of a gap to play it round the defender, and a good couple of metres in front of McLean to aim for. It's a poor pass.

Your comment shows that you clearly just don't like the player. McLean had several headers on goal and was always looking for the ball as he has done for the entire second half of the season. The evidence doesn't back your nonsense about him hiding. That said, he should have been off around 70 minutes as he was clearly knackered.

He had 10 yards to play it into and as you said McLean gave him 1 metre while running flat out. He was running so fast if it had been 2 yards forward he still would have had to hit it with his right. Rubbish from McLean. He pointed to where he wanted it and still ran ahead of it, as well as speeding up.