Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Strongest Back 4

Creating this thread due to some debating as to what our best back 4 is and what it should be. Freeing the Killie match thread.

Would I be correct in saying our strongest back 4 is

RB. Logan

CB. O'Connor

CB. Considine

LB. Shinnie

Can't see much argument for anything else really? Is there anyone who feels Considine should be LB with Shinnie in midfield? Or is there anyone who'd replace O'Connor or Considine for either Taylor or Reynolds?

I'd be surprised if anyone argued against that one.

I think Taylor and Reynolds are pretty strong back-ups too.

The issue isn't - for me - our best back four, it is "is Shinnie in midfield and Considine at left back stronger than Shinnie at left back and Storie/Pawlett/Hayes whoever in midfield". That's the one that throws Deek constantly.

Creating this thread due to some debating as to what our best back 4 is and what it should be. Freeing the Killie match thread.

Would I be correct in saying our strongest back 4 is

RB. Logan

CB. O'Connor

CB. Considine

LB. Shinnie

Can't see much argument for anything else really? Is there anyone who feels Considine should be LB with Shinnie in midfield? Or is there anyone who'd replace O'Connor or Considine for either Taylor or Reynolds?

At this moment in time, you'd have no arguments from me with that back four.

Find it interesting that Considine is now generally viewed as a first pick centre back and yet for a number of years a large leement of our support didn't rate him which begs the question has he improved with age, or have we gone backwards in terms of available central defensive options  ???

Anyone care to make a case for Morris being part of central defence partnership ;)

Find it interesting that Considine is now generally viewed as a first pick centre back and yet for a number of years a large leement of our support didn't rate him which begs the question has he improved with age, or have we gone backwards in terms of available central defensive options  ???

Anyone care to make a case for Morris being part of central defence partnership ;)

On Considine, I would argue he's worked extremely hard on his game and is a vastly improved defender. I like him.

On Morris, we won't know unless he's given an opportunity  ;)

I've always thought Considine was a good defender. From the season where he broke his leg (he was immense before the injury) onward he has been very good and very reliable. His main issue is concentration, but I think that would be harsh to single him out over any other defender. He's always been decent on the ball, and the issues that were apparent in his early career where he dithered on the ball and wasn't particularly strong were ironed out a long time ago. He's strong in the challenge and always comes to meet the ball and the player rather than wait for them to turn where he's at his weakest.

I think he suffers from the fact that he's been here a long time and folk think back to his early years and mistakes he made then. You're really going back to the early Brown days for any serious fuck ups and the more recent errors (one vs Tims springs to mind where he should have been sent off) have been few and far between. He regularly goes several with little or no mistakes of note.

I touted on donsmad a few years back Considine for a Scotland call up. It was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but folk were suggesting Reynolds at the time and I was adamant that Consi was a much better fitba'r, which would make him more eligible than Reynolds (in truth I didn't reckon either of them were good enough). Then Grant Hanley came along and showed that you neither have to be good at football, or have an ability to read the game in order to play for Scotland.

The Partick and Caley games were the best we have looked in a long time in my opinion.

Yes our back 4 should be as stated above.

Although I'm tempted to boot Considine out, watch the replay of the huns 2nd goal and tell me what the hell Consi was doing.  Must of been completely exhausted as he made no attempt to close the goal scorer down.

The Sevco goals are an example of how you don't defend, absolutely pathetic. Consi should be a good squad player imo but we don't have anyone better than him and he's thoroughly deserving of his place. We should never deviate from the back four unless injuries to said back four force it.

I still don't think O'Connor was signed as a defender, but he is the best of the bunch. Taylor and Reynolds have both went backwards, especially Reynolds, who is a shadow of his former self.  Just have a pairing and stick to it and keep Logan and SHinnie at full back, simple. Considine is a decent hard working player who never hides on the pitch, even when things aren't going well., does a sterling job at LB also when required.

Yeah Logan-O'Connor-Considine-Shinnie is our best back 4 IMO.

Although in terms of Considine I think he is just marginally the best out of himself, Taylor and Reynolds. Considine has an excellent work rate and has done a great shift at LB but if we were to source a better CB in January or the summer then he would be the one to make way.

Yeah Logan-O'Connor-Considine-Shinnie is our best back 4 IMO.

Although in terms of Considine I think he is just marginally the best out of himself, Taylor and Reynolds. Considine has an excellent work rate and has done a great shift at LB but if we were to source a better CB in January or the summer then he would be the one to make way.

Absolutely our strongest back 4, as mentioned before I understand the temptation to break that up and play shinnie in midfield against stronger teams but we need to get to the stage that we have the personnel to ensure we don't need to break up that back 4.