Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Holidays 2017

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giants Causeway is a must, one of the significant wonders of the world. Don't go there expecting to be wowed. Just go with your senses wide open and your brain activity at a minimum. Feel the place. Taste it. Don't try to analyse anything. Spend a good hour just wandering about then make sure to view down on it all from the top of the cliff, making sure to walk past the cliff face to feel (in your spirit and your soul) those hexagonal shapes too.

Thereafter when your brain is blown and you can't make any rational thoughts whatsoever, go to the Harbour bar in Portrush and blow the rest of your brains out with draught Guinness. One of my fav places in the world that coast.

Excellent suggestions there, Rocket! The harbour bar in Portrush was fantastic. Proper pub. We had dinner at the Neptune and prawn beforehand (think the same guys owns four places including the pub). Food there was excellent.

We did a black cab tour round Belfast too. Thoroughly enjoyable. Belfast itself is generally quite a beautiful city, some dodgy as fuck looking places but for the most part I really liked it. Didnt meet anyone (apart from the guy who gave us a tour of the jail) who wasn't friendly. The crum was a tour worth going on too.

If anyone does go to Northern Ireland, do the causeway coastal route. What a drive.

• 1 month later...

Looking to spend one or two nights in and around Skye in June. Any recommendations?  Skye appears to be fully booked up.  Staying in Ross-shire so intention was to head west for a couple of nights then drive up to John O'Groats etc after that.  Thoughts welcome!

Will give more info when less busy,but the Coastal path to Loch Coruisk from Elgol is a cracker.Can get the boat(http://www.bellajane.co.uk/)back to elgol from coruisk.Check out the 'bad step' on youtube first. If time,Sgurr na Stri is a great viewpoint(around 650m) while at coruisk.

Bruach na Frithe is possibly the easiest cuillin and a fantastic 360 degree viewpoint.

Nae probs.Gies an idea what you want(beaches,walks,cycle bnb etc)and I will get back when quieter...

Hand was forced yesterday due to apparent lack of available accommodation, so i've got B&Bs in Richonich and Portree.  So any walks / beaches or restaurants around those parts would be fantastic :)  Had tried for Durness but nothing was available.

Cheers in advance  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Will give more info when less busy,but the Coastal path to Loch Coruisk from Elgol is a cracker.Can get the boat(http://www.bellajane.co.uk/)back to elgol from coruisk.Check out the 'bad step' on youtube first. If time,Sgurr na Stri is a great viewpoint(around 650m) while at coruisk.

Bruach na Frithe is possibly the easiest cuillin and a fantastic 360 degree viewpoint.

Right,where was I. If interested in Bruach na frithe,theres the route I described in the hills and outdoors thread,but if not confident,this is the tourist route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/bruachnafrithe.shtml

Apart fae the Cuillins,skye itself doesnt do too much for me,as opposed to other areas on the west coast.

Plenty eateries in Broadford and Portree.If in the elgol area,this one is worth a try http://coruiskhouse.com/,or if thats not for you,this place near Talisker(home of the Talisker distillery - worth a visit) http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/index.php?id=13

The three chimneys is a top notch eatery if you want to impress http://www.threechimneys.co.uk/(never been myself)

On your way up to,or back from Rhiconich,a lazy drive along the coast is worthwhile.Theres lots of good beaches en route at Achmelvich,Achiltibuie,Gruinard and if its a fine day Stac Pollaidh is worth a climb,by the roadside,about an hour up an hour down,and only 650 ish metres,but if weathers good,rewards are great.

Plockton is worth a visit,lovely setting.The hotel has an outdoor bar,and good food,along with another couple of good eateries nearby.

If time though,I'd recommend the drive down the Glenelg road all the way to Corran.Away from the tourists,Great views en route,nice walks from the road end along the coast or in the hills,and a chance to visit the legendary Sheenas tea hut at Corran.Couple of Brochs at Glenelg to visit too,and the GlenElg inn is a fine pub/eatery,along with the Kintail Lodge hotel

• 2 weeks later...

Right,where was I. If interested in Bruach na frithe,theres the route I described in the hills and outdoors thread,but if not confident,this is the tourist route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/bruachnafrithe.shtml

Apart fae the Cuillins,skye itself doesnt do too much for me,as opposed to other areas on the west coast.

Plenty eateries in Broadford and Portree.If in the elgol area,this one is worth a try http://coruiskhouse.com/,or if thats not for you,this place near Talisker(home of the Talisker distillery - worth a visit) http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/index.php?id=13

The three chimneys is a top notch eatery if you want to impress http://www.threechimneys.co.uk/(never been myself)

On your way up to,or back from Rhiconich,a lazy drive along the coast is worthwhile.Theres lots of good beaches en route at Achmelvich,Achiltibuie,Gruinard and if its a fine day Stac Pollaidh is worth a climb,by the roadside,about an hour up an hour down,and only 650 ish metres,but if weathers good,rewards are great.

Plockton is worth a visit,lovely setting.The hotel has an outdoor bar,and good food,along with another couple of good eateries nearby.

If time though,I'd recommend the drive down the Glenelg road all the way to Corran.Away from the tourists,Great views en route,nice walks from the road end along the coast or in the hills,and a chance to visit the legendary Sheenas tea hut at Corran.Couple of Brochs at Glenelg to visit too,and the GlenElg inn is a fine pub/eatery,along with the Kintail Lodge hotel

Thanks for all the tips Elgin, time flew from us so didn't manage to get anywhere near as much done as I'd hoped. weather played a wee role in that but wasn't anywhere as bad as the forecasters predicted. Didnt manage to get any walking in which was a massive shame, but covered 850 miles in about 6 days  :eek:

Checked out Dornoch beach (always been one of my faves), oldshoremore near rhiconich, and the beach at Balnakeil (which is where that crafts place and cocoa mountain is. Cocoa mountain had an awesome hot chocolate, thoroughly recommend it if you're about), Ceannabeinne where this guy has put a zip wire across the bay, don't think it's opened yet and somewhere else which I need to try and remember the name of. But I was certain the whole beach is full of quick sand! Went in the water and bubbles would appear around you when you put your feet in the sand and you could feel you were sinking  :o

We ended up doing most and then some of the North coast 500 which I was really impressed by it. The infrastructure seems to be getting there and folk are buying into it.

I guess the main aim was to show the Mrs a bit of the North and where my family stayed so that was a success.

Also, new falls of shin visitor centre is open. A former tutor of mine designed it, good one for the kids. Nice cafe and access to.the falls is much better now.

That's us booked up to head to Terschelling later this year. 15 years since I've been back so looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:

Map_-_NL_-_Municipality_code_0093_%282009%29.svg

Ha ha fuck me, never thought i'd see another DTer going there!  I think it's probably about 18 years since I went with school.  Great place, enjoy  :thumbsup:

Ha ha fuck me, never thought i'd see another DTer going there!  I think it's probably about 18 years since I went with school.  Great place, enjoy  :thumbsup:

That's where my old man is from.  :thumbsup: His hoose here in Scotland is named after the island's lighthouse.

I've got fond memories of a couple of trips there over the years. We were there camping in 1994. I remember watching Germany getting pumped out of the World Cup by Bulgaria with a small crowd of folk gathered outside a caravan watching their telly through the window. Obviously the mood was bouyant and after the game everyone on the site got involved in a big game of football. Good times.

Been to any other of the Friesian Islands Manc?

• 3 months later...

That's where my old man is from.  :thumbsup: His hoose here in Scotland is named after the island's lighthouse.

I've got fond memories of a couple of trips there over the years. We were there camping in 1994. I remember watching Germany getting pumped out of the World Cup by Bulgaria with a small crowd of folk gathered outside a caravan watching their telly through the window. Obviously the mood was bouyant and after the game everyone on the site got involved in a big game of football. Good times.

Been to any other of the Friesian Islands Manc?

Just back. Beautiful place with a tranquillity that modern technology hasn't damaged. And broadband that's much faster than anything I've seen in Aberdeen.  :dunno:

Met two of my cousins for the first time (as far as I remember) and also saw my uncle for the first time since I was a young kid.

Hoachin' wi' young fuds from Germany though.

Just back. Beautiful place with a tranquillity that modern technology hasn't damaged. And broadband that's much faster than anything I've seen in Aberdeen.  :dunno:

Met two of my cousins for the first time (as far as I remember) and also saw my uncle for the first time since I was a young kid.

Hoachin' wi' young fuds from Germany though.

Aye, suppose it's only a short hop away for them! Cracking island from what I remember. Also known a few people go to texel and raved about it.