Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Holidays 2017

Both.Mainly loch(or lake) fishing but occasionally hire a boat off of Harris.

manc-don  -  nae sure if you mean overnight accomodation or somewhere to spend a couple of days. Kinlochourn is one of my fave places,camping or bnb at the end of a remote track. maybe get in touch nearer the time tie options in with forecast

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked a long weekend for me and the other half in Amsterdam late in May.

45 year aul' and never been before so looking for some tips from you worldly wise characters.

We're staying in the 'Museum Area/quarter' but we're nae that cultured that we'd be doing a tour of museums.

Any bars or restaurants that are a must go to or anything in particular that you'd recommend doing?

Cheers.

Just booked a long weekend for me and the other half in Amsterdam late in May.

45 year aul' and never been before so looking for some tips from you worldly wise characters.

We're staying in the 'Museum Area/quarter' but we're nae that cultured that we'd be doing a tour of museums.

Any bars or restaurants that are a must go to or anything in particular that you'd recommend doing?

Cheers.

Let me dig out the email Ive to a couple of mates over the years. Will send it when I'm in work, some of it is clubbing based so won't include that (I'm guessing?)  :thumbsup:

So this is what i've recommended to my mates previously:

So generally speaking, I find the areas around the singel (9 straatjes / 9 street) are really good, depending on where you’re staying.

Prinsengracht is generally pretty good, Cafe de Magere Brug

Keizergracht – Café Leeuwen

Oldest bar in Amsterdam is quite nice too, cafe Karpershoek.

Also check out de Ooievaar which is an old dutch gin house.  Gin is actually from Holland!

I'd also add the Eye film museum (nice food) on the other side of the River Ij (pronounced Eye) is worth a visit too.

As a dirty snack, you could always try one of the hole in the wall cafes (FEBO) for a laugh but try to pick an item that is fresh!  Chips (patatje Oorlog is amazing - chips with sate sauce, onions etc) , Broodje Kaassouffle - molten hot deep fried cheese in a roll is a fave of mine.  Kroket as well.  You can get all these at a general fast food cafes as well, generally a small shop window.

I would also recommend one of the canal tours, they are very good.  Hire a bike (watch where you're going - works for pedestrians too).

For a toke, forget the pre-rolled skunks that taste as chemically as they are and give you a headache. Go to the original Greenhouse. The first time we went we were looking at the menu and the guy said - "zis side of ze menu is for ze body, like a moosle relaxant and zis side is for ze head". I did my homework online before we went and we went for Jack Herrer, a past winner of the Cannabis Cup. That was on the "for ze body" side of the menu so pretty mild for the mind but awesome on the body and soul. Good to not get too trippy if being typically Scottish and drinking on the same day. Forget the other Greenhouse cafes which are more commercial, the original one is worth tramming it to (10/15 mins) and has the superior products.

Chicken pizza?

Gads min.

I haven't been over for a couple of years now but used to try a get a lengthy change of planes at Schipol so that I could nip into town.

It was my first city love affair, I'll never forget that summers day in 1978 when a young slim long haired donsdaft first came out of central station and looked down the damracht.

Normally, given a few hours, I only visit some old haunts, but in general it's a place where just wandering about is enough.

Rundvlees (beef) Kroketten and Bitterballen. A delicious bar snack type food that I enjoy indulging in when I'm over. They're the same thing. Just a different shape. 

As for things to do in Amsterdam specifically... I'm nae sure. I've only spent a couple of days there but I enjoyed the ArenA tour and a sightseeing tour round the RLD.  :thumbsup:

Turkish pizza met kass en kip is a must in Holland.

Ha ha, see, I always go for the cheese, the chicken is unnecessary. I used to get Turkish Pizza's all the time in London, something that the locals hadn't cottoned on to, but they slowly increased the price over the years :(

Tyrant is right about the Bitterballen, forgot about that

Ha ha, see, I always go for the cheese, the chicken is unnecessary. I used to get Turkish Pizza's all the time in London, something that the locals hadn't cottoned on to, but they slowly increased the price over the years :(

Tyrant is right about the Bitterballen, forgot about that

It's fantastic!  :thumbsup:

Cheers abdy for your inputs. Seems like i've got plenty of options for snacks anyway.

And of course there's always the alternative option provided by the Rocket. Maybe 20 years ago pre-offshore drug and drink screening everybody year and on the random occasions too.

2 very different images conjured up thanks to Mondo and DD....  :o  :laughing:

For our family holiday we're off to Ibiza but i'm defo looking forward to this more.

:thumbsup:

For our family holiday we're off to Ibiza but i'm defo looking forward to this more.

I love Ibiza, 3 places i'd thoroughly recommend going to are:

Bar 1805 (Ibiza town - great food and also an absinthe bar) blackboard tables too so i'm sure the kids would enjoy drawing on them!

Cala Comte - South of San An and a beach which faces two directions - nice restaurant there too

Restaurant Sa Caleta - Excellent restaurant overlooking a beach in a place called...Sa Caleta

There's a bit of a walk you can do from Sa Caleta over to the Blue Marlin / Tropicana beach club / Es Savina but these are probably not ideal for a family...

• 1 month later...

Heading to Toronto in october for 5 days then down to vegas for 6 days and finishing off with 4 days up in Vancouver, will be my first time going to Canada but it looks super cool and fun, Vegas I was there last year and plan on going back every year from now on, actually looking at next years trip for WSOP events.

Heading to Toronto in october for 5 days then down to vegas for 6 days and finishing off with 4 days up in Vancouver, will be my first time going to Canada but it looks super cool and fun, Vegas I was there last year and plan on going back every year from now on, actually looking at next years trip for WSOP events.

Make sure you hit a pool party in Vegas  8)

• 3 weeks later...

Popping across to Northern Ireland next week for a long weekend, anyone been and got any tips on what visit / see?  Heading up to Portrush and the north coast for the day, meant to be pretty impressive.

The main tourist attractions up there are worth doing, Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, and Bushmills. And there's a couple of good golf courses if that's your thing.

Can't be arsed scrolling back through the pages, but any recommendations for good food and bars in the Palma / Palma Nova / Shagaluff area of Majorca? Looking to avoid the neon hell holes if possible. Thanks in advance.  :thumbsup:

Anyone been to Latvia/Estonia?  I'm guessing a few have been to the former for the football.  thinking of taking the camper up that way later in the year.  Hows the weather there at the tail end of summer?

Cheers CtS, had those on the list although will probably have to miss Bushmills as I'm the one that's driving!

Mondo, when you're in Tallinn, make sure you check out the Depeche mode bar. And the local drink Vana Tallinn. They have it with sparkling wine sometimes. Some nice restaurants around the main square. Nice modern art gallery too. The mud spas are recommended too  ;D

Giants Causeway is a must, one of the significant wonders of the world. Don't go there expecting to be wowed. Just go with your senses wide open and your brain activity at a minimum. Feel the place. Taste it. Don't try to analyse anything. Spend a good hour just wandering about then make sure to view down on it all from the top of the cliff, making sure to walk past the cliff face to feel (in your spirit and your soul) those hexagonal shapes too.

Thereafter when your brain is blown and you can't make any rational thoughts whatsoever, go to the Harbour bar in Portrush and blow the rest of your brains out with draught Guinness. One of my fav places in the world that coast.