Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Maribor Thursday 715pm

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the new rules state you cant send him off if a penalty is awarded. (No Double punishment)

Had the ref not been so whistle happy and let McGinn's goal stand then a red card could have been dished out

Rooney has missed quite a few penalties and i had a gut feeling he would bugger it up. Kicking it straight down the middle with no power in such a big match is ludicrous.  :hammer:

Well that about sums up the evening.

Anyone remember the days when a penalty miss was headline news and yet now supposedly 'lethal' strikers fuck them up fairly regularly.

Anyone remember the days when you could actually breath next to an opposition player without the match being stopped and a card shown?

Didn't see the sending off so cannot comment there, but missed chances at home and a missed penalty, we should have been out of sight regardless of the ref.

Agreed, first leg hindered us massively, but the referee really didn't help things. It's almost like he punished us for missing the penalty. Shame, plenty to be proud of but a very hard result to take.

Like to add the team were brilliant tonight. Can't fault anyone and a superb effort.

One thing though, i'd have take Kenny off instead of Burns. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

It feels more shite for me with the guilt and all.

Last night I said "Rooney doesn't miss penalties" and some random wifie in the pub said "don't say that".

A feeling of queasiness hit me instantly.

It takes a robust imagination to consider that 7 words uttered in NE Scotland can influence an event in Slovenia moments later but was I to blame for expressing optimism or was she to blame for expressing pessimism? Maybe she's a witch who knows stuff?

It's not even real guilt like when you killed someone who really only deserved a battering or when you steal money from a beggar when nobody's around. It's faux guilt, a queasy guilt, wondering if you had anything to do with it. It's a shite state of affairs Tommy and all the speculating and wondering in the world won't make any fucking difference.

I thought we were going to win before the penalty was given. We had started great.

No advantage played for the goal was inexplicable as was Rooney failing to bury it. He never dinks pens. He always picks a side and strikes it with authority. What the fuck was he thinking?

Note to him: the best penalties are putting the keeper the wrong way. This is achieved by body language disguise in the approach and/or opening or closing the striking foot momentarily before impact, the shorter the moment the better.

It was a pathetic penalty and an inexplicable decision to give it.

Unfortunately the new rules state you cant send him off if a penalty is awarded. (No Double punishment)

The new rule only applies where the offending player makes a genuine attempt to play the ball. Players will still be sent off for holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball.

That must mean in the referees opinion Handanovic made a genuine attempt to win the ball.

It is easy for me to say I don't think he did. However even when the incident happened I don't think there was an attempt to win the ball so when the referee blows the whistle (without allowing play to continue) for the pen he has to send the keeper off. Terrible decision all round!

I agree that Rooney is much better when he picks a corner and puts his foot through it. In his defence I don't think the referees handling of the whole situation helped. There must have been a good minute where Rooney had the ball on the spot while things were being sorted out and must have been thinking about what he was going to do. Again easy for me to say as I have never been in that situation (with that pressure level on me) but I think he should have waited until the referee had sorted things out and then placed the ball on the spot and stuck to what he knows for pens.

To be honest Manc, not sure I disagree with a lot of what he said there.

Opened the aticle thinking it was going to be all about our failure to progress, but he pretty much covers the numerous embarassments our football teams have suffered in recent years. One things for sure getting past the group stages of Europa League seems a lifetime ago.

If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure I actually give a flying fuck about European club football.

Lets be honest here, it is as corrupt as fuck and controlled by TV money and the big clubs who will make it as difficult as possible for ANY upstart to gate crash their exclusive little party.

Oh for the days, that a countires champions and only their champions entered the European Cup and then their was no seeding shite, just a straight forward all the names in the hat and draw the ties.

Rant over, it's almost the weekend :wave:

To be honest Manc, not sure I disagree with a lot of what he said there.

Opened the aticle thinking it was going to be all about our failure to progress, but he pretty much covers the numerous embarassments our football teams have suffered in recent years. One things for sure getting past the group stages of Europa League seems a lifetime ago.

If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure I actually give a flying fuck about European club football.

Lets be honest here, it is as corrupt as fuck and controlled by TV money and the big clubs who will make it as difficult as possible for ANY upstart to gate crash their exclusive little party.

Oh for the days, that a countires champions and only their champions entered the European Cup and then their was no seeding shite, just a straight forward all the names in the hat and draw the ties.

Rant over, it's almost the weekend :wave:

See, I'd actually disagree with most of what he said.  It reeks of big headedness and delusions of grandeur due to his likely association.  To talk teams down from yes, a smaller league, is condescending but what I would expect from the Scottish football media and management circles.  They've clearly no idea.  Slovenia, have qualified for major football tournaments, where we have not. Their teams regularly compete in both champions league / Europa League so again, his comments are wide of the mark.

We had our own failures this campaign, but his previous article which said our attempts over the past few years in Europe were pathetic is frankly ridiculous. I'd have agreed if he'd said the previous two seasons we'd done some work to change that, but no.

The days of Scottish football teams expecting to walk through European qualification went long ago and even England, where they spunk billions on their teams, suffer humiliating defeats.  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head examined.  These countries are catching up.

I will agree with this though:

Oh for the days, that a countries champions and only their champions entered the European Cup and then their was no seeding shite, just a straight forward all the names in the hat and draw the ties.